Thread: AIO buildup using different metals. Ticking Timebombs

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar

Question AIO buildup using different metals. Ticking Timebombs

I was just browsing some youtube videos and saw someone cutting into a Corsair h100i

Now i know that one of the first things you learn, either the hard way or by some good advice is not to mix metals. it leads to corrosion and other nasty stuff.

Well this guy took apart the AIO and BAM there is was all corroded and it looked like it would clog very soon.

Are all us users of AIO's ( I Like them) -Using ticking timebombs?

Any comments...
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Anything from acatech is. You also shouldent buy from any one using them as ODM as they are a patent troll.

Swiftech sells an open loop AIO for a similar price. It has a real DDC, and you can mod it.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

They pretty much rely on the use of anticorrosive and propylene glycol instead of water to make them last long enough to cover the two year warranty period, but of course the alu is going to corrode anyway eventually.

Performance is probably going to get bad before leaks develop, because the whole radiator's surface is going to corrode uniformly and clog up the blockI'm not sure if it's still as bad as the early days with 25% failure rates and pumps stopping anymore, but they're definitely on a timer. You might go as far as calling it planned obsolescence.

As zanza said, avoid asetek. They're the ODM for 90% of brand name AIOs. They only use alu, and they're huge cs. As he mentioned, some custom parts manufacturers like swiftech or ek also have some sort-of-all-in-one kits that, while more expensive, are more reliable and will perform much better over their lifetime, compared to cheap AIOs that might do well in the beginning, show good performance in reviews, and get progressively much worse.

AIOs with copper radiators do exist though, you just have to look for them. Alphacool provides units with copper rads to some manufacturers, but you'll have to double check each model. Be quiet uses them for their silent loop series, Fractal Design for their Kelvin series, and I'm sure more exist.
    Last edited by JaD; 12-19-2018 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaD View Post
    You might go as far as calling it planned obsolescence.

As zanza said, avoid asetek. They're the ODM for 90% of brand name AIOs. They only use alu, and they're huge cs. As he mentioned, some custom parts manufacturers like swiftech or ek also have some sort-of-all-in-one kits that, while more expensive, are more reliable and will perform much better over their lifetime, compared to cheap AIOs that might do well in the beginning, show good performance in reviews, and get progressively much worse.

AIOs with copper radiators do exist though, you just have to look for them. Alphacool provides units with copper rads to some manufacturers, but you'll have to double check each model. Be quiet uses them for their silent loop series, Fractal Design for their Kelvin series, and I'm sure more exist.

I hate that planned obsolescence It just kills me but it the way of the world, no company wants to kill return biz....
    So the customer suffers, planned obsolescence is probably an American invention...

But i also agree about base buildup, but i never really thought about the Radiator...
    So i found the video i saw and also another one showing the base...

I also think it would be a good idea to come up with a purchase list of real "All Copper" AIO's it would be an interesting exercise.

Enjoy

OCN Feedback
    HEAT

OCN Feedback
    HEAT

Quote Originally Posted by systemviper View Post
    Well, it looks like propylene glycol + anticorrosives are more effective than I thought, and that corsair unit showed no signs of corrosion after years.

That said, it's hard to make 100% sure a specific unit uses a safe coolant mix, and I would still steer away from asetek-made units for other reasons. All-copper loops should perform better anyway: the radiator is better and they can use water, which is a better coolant. Well worth the price premium.

Quote Originally Posted by JaD View Post
    Well, it looks like propylene glycol + anticorrosives are more effective than I thought, and that corsair unit showed no signs of corrosion after years.

That said, it's hard to make 100% sure a specific unit uses a safe coolant mix, and I would still steer away from asetek-made units for other reasons. All-copper loops should perform better anyway: the radiator is better and they can use water, which is a better coolant. Well worth the price premium.
    That was essentially NOS. You only get the corrosion if you have heat and mixed metals. The other problem with AIO is that they tend to have evaporation through the tubes, but you cannot refill it.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi