Thread: [news] Motherboard, graphics card makers see bleak prospects for 1H19

Xtreme Enthusiast

[news] Motherboard, graphics card makers see bleak prospects for 1H19

Quote Originally Posted by Monica Chen at DigiTimes | Posted: 19 November 2018
    Taiwan suppliers of motherboards and graphic cards are expected to see increasingly bleak business prospects through the first half of 2019, due to a spate of adverse factors emerging in the third quarter of 2018, including sustained chill in the crypto mining sector, the supply shortages of Intel CPUs, and lackluster buying sentiment at terminal markets amid the US-China trade war, according to industry sources.

The sources said that the negative factors sharply drove up inventory levels at Asustek Computer, Gigabyte Technology, and other peer makers of motherboards or graphic cards in the third quarter of 2018, causing their revenues for the peak season to fall under expectations.

Revenue prospects for the fourth quarter are further dimmed by lingering sluggish demand from the DIY market, poor growth momentum in the China market and insignificant performance upgrades for Nvidia's new GPU platforms bearing relatively high price tags, the sources continued.

Makers of motherboards and graphic cars are expected to face tough challenges in the first quarter of 2019, when makers with higher graphic card shipment ratios, such as Gigabyte and TUL, may see their profitability halved on quarter due to high comparison bases of a year earlier. This, coupled with Nvidia and Intel likely to raise their chip prices to maintain profitability, may drive makers into a bleak profitability period starting in 2019.

Profitability shrinkage

Among the makers, Asustek saw its net earnings for the third quarter plunge 43% on year to NT$3.34 billion (US$107.95 million), with EPS reaching only NT$4.50, down from NT$7.90 seen a year earlier.

Aided by stable sales of gaming notebooks, Micro-Star International (MSI) saw a slighter on-year drop of 6.6% for net profits to NT$1.50 billion in the third quarter 2018, with EPS also declining slightly to NT$1.79 for the quarter from NT$1.91 of a year earlier. The company's net earnings for the first three quarters shot up 47.2% on year to NT$5.36 billion, with EPS reaching NT$6.35, higher than NT$5.84 for the whole 2017.

Gigabyte's after-tax profits for the third quarter 2018 plummeted to only NT$132 million or EPS of NT$0.23, for the lowest quarterly level recorded since the fourth quarter of 2008.

Gigabyte's annual motherboard shipments for 2018 are estimated to fall under 12 million units from 12.6 million posted in 2017, and its graphics card shipments for 2018 are forecast to drop to the 2016 level of 3.65 million units, down one million units from 2017.

TUL posted an EPS loss of NT$1.34 for the third quarter 2018, compared to a record EPS of NT$10.3 for the first quarter, when crypto mining craze peaked. The firm's EPS for the first three quarter of the year, however, still reached NT$8.25%, mainly bolstered by strong performance in the first quarter.
    Source: DigiTimes
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB @ 1784/4004MHz Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 830 256GB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Fractal Design Define S Win 7/10 64bit

Xtreme Mentor
    most important nothing to buy for most of the consumers. i havent purchased anything for my pc since last black friday which is a very long period for me. I am eager to buy something and searching for anything to buy on this black friday but cant find anything.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    most important nothing to buy for most of the consumers. i havent purchased anything for my pc since last black friday which is a very long period for me. I am eager to buy something and searching for anything to buy on this black friday but cant find anything.
    Lol I'm still running on Sandybridge with R9 280 card. Perhaps it's partially because I don't game much anymore, but honestly I just don't need the horsepower for the things I do (and think this is true for many others).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    Maybe you could get an AMD Ryzen processor with a VIVE Wireless Adapter (powered by Intel WiGig) ....