Thread: [news] Microsoft Resumes Rollout of Windows 10 October 2018 Feature Update (1809)

Xtreme Enthusiast

[news] Microsoft Resumes Rollout of Windows 10 October 2018 Feature Update (1809)

Quote Originally Posted by TechPowerUp | Posted: 13 November 2018
    Originally Microsoft shelved the Windows 10 October 2018 feature update after a data-destroying bug among other problems was detected just days after its initial rollout. Now with more than a month has passed they are finally re-releasing the update after having "thoroughly investigated and resolved" the issues, according to Microsoft's John Cable, director of Program Management for Windows Servicing and Delivery.

The decision to re-release the update was reached after the careful study of diagnostic data from millions of Windows Insiders showed no further evidence of data loss. Currently, the update is only available via media and manual updates, automatic updates will be coming later. This is because Microsoft is taking a slower more methodical approach to their updates. Taking more time for careful study of device health data in order to improve the overall user experience. This new approach will take problems like application incompatibility among other things into account in order to make sure future updates do not automatically install unless known issues have been resolved. This should help reduce the frequency of problems end users encounter.

For PC gamers the big ticket and the reason this update is important is that it delivers DirectX Raytracing. While the feature was announced months ago, the delay of the October 2018 Update meant owners of NVIDIA's RTX 2000 series were unable to use all the features and hardware those graphics cards had to offer. With the update now available and DirectX Raytracing finally in the hands of the masses, all that is needed now is some games that support it.
    Source: Windows Blog, TechPowerUp
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB @ 1784/4004MHz Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 830 256GB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Fractal Design Define S Win 7/10 64bit

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    When I got hit with the win 10 roll-out, I had to re-register 2 of my systems,
    All of a sudden they said my system was invalid because I have changed some hardware,

what a pain, plus they keep pushing me to use my Microsoft account for every system i bring online.
    I guess they want to keep more and more info on us and our systems/ip's
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.