Thread: [rumour] AMD "Zen 2" IPC 29 Percent Higher than "Zen"

Xtreme Enthusiast

[rumour] AMD "Zen 2" IPC 29 Percent Higher than "Zen"

Quote Originally Posted by TechPowerUp | Posted: 12 November 2018
    AMD reportedly put out its IPC (instructions per clock) performance guidance for its upcoming "Zen 2" micro-architecture in a version of its Next Horizon investor meeting, and the numbers are staggering. The next-generation CPU architecture provides a massive 29 percent IPC uplift over the original "Zen" architecture. While not developed for the enterprise segment, the stopgap "Zen+" architecture brought about 3-5 percent IPC uplifts over "Zen" on the backs of faster on-die caches and improved Precision Boost algorithms. "Zen 2" is being developed for the 7 nm silicon fabrication process, and on the "Rome" MCM, is part of the 8-core chiplets that aren't subdivided into CCX (8 cores per CCX).

According to Expreview, AMD conducted DKERN + RSA test for integer and floating point units, to arrive at a performance index of 4.53, compared to 3.5 of first-generation Zen, which is a 29.4 percent IPC uplift (loosely interchangeable with single-core performance). "Zen 2" goes a step beyond "Zen+," with its designers turning their attention to critical components that contribute significantly toward IPC - the core's front-end, and the number-crunching machinery, FPU. The front-end of "Zen" and "Zen+" cores are believed to be refinements of previous-generation architectures such as "Excavator." Zen 2 gets a brand-new front-end that's better optimized to distribute and collect workloads between the various on-die components of the core. The number-crunching machinery gets bolstered by 256-bit FPUs, and generally wider execution pipelines and windows. These come together yielding the IPC uplift. "Zen 2" will get its first commercial outing with AMD's 2nd generation EPYC "Rome" 64-core enterprise processors.

Update Nov 14: AMD has issued the following statement regarding these claims:

Quote Originally Posted by AMD
    As we demonstrated at our Next Horizon event last week, our next-generation AMD EPYC server processor based on the new 'Zen 2' core delivers significant performance improvements as a result of both architectural advances and 7nm process technology. Some news media interpreted a 'Zen 2' comment in the press release footnotes to be a specific IPC uplift claim. The data in the footnote represented the performance improvement in a microbenchmark for a specific financial services workload which benefits from both integer and floating point performance improvements and is not intended to quantify the IPC increase a user should expect to see across a wide range of applications. We will provide additional details on 'Zen 2' IPC improvements, and more importantly how the combination of our next-generation architecture and advanced 7nm process technology deliver more performance per socket, when the products launch.
    Source: Expreview, TechPowerUp
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB @ 1784/4004MHz Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 830 256GB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Fractal Design Define S Win 7/10 64bit

Xtreme Guru
    There's absolutely no way Zen 2 has a 29% increase across the board. I'll buy big increases in specific areas, especially AVX, but the architecture is just an evolution. It'd be content with a 10% increase to be frank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

IPC increase across the board is possible, they are making advancements at a better pace now with Zen.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

AVX and other instructions is where a lot of the architecture performance increases come from, AMD does have a dominant decrypt instruction sets now with Zen.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Addict
    I just hope it's coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    There's absolutely no way Zen 2 has a 29% increase across the board. I'll buy big increases in specific areas, especially AVX, but the architecture is just an evolution. It'd be content with a 10% increase to be frank.
    They get a huge penalty using all cores on epic and TR. I would not be surprised if fixing the fabric to work properly with JDEC memory speeds would do that much.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Guru
    According to Expreview, AMD conducted DKERN + RSA test for integer and floating point units, to arrive at a performance index of 4.53, compared to 3.5 of first-generation Zen, which is a 29.4 percent IPC uplift (loosely interchangeable with single-core performance).
    The data in the footnote represented the performance improvement in a microbenchmark for a specific financial services workload which benefits from both integer and floating point performance improvements and is not intended to quantify the IPC increase a user should expect to see across a wide range of applications.
    I don't see any evidence that they were running identical systems here. As far as we know part of the performance increase could be due to the improved manufacturing process increasing clocks. Furthermore, AMD themselves is trying to reduce expectations. Zen+ already had a decent increase due to better cache and clockspeed, wouldn't be surprised if AMD built off that along with an optimized pipeline could get you to the 29% increase in specific scenarios.

Call me skeptical, but I want to see a trusted report before I believe it. AMD always brags when they have something real - let them do a public demonstration and I'll buy in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans