Thread: [news] Intel splits up manufacturing group amid production delays

Xtreme Enthusiast

[news] Intel splits up manufacturing group amid production delays

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rogoway at Oregon Live | Posted: 17 October 2018
    Intel will split its vaunted manufacturing unit into three pieces, the company told employees Monday. And Sohail Ahmed, who has jointly led the manufacturing organization since 2016, will retire next month.

The shakeup comes amid a crisis in Intel manufacturing, which is years behind schedule in delivering the company's next-generation, 10-nanometer chip technology. Intel says the chips, originally due in 2015, won't be in mass production until late next year.

The delay reflects the difficulty of shrinking feature sizes on computer chips as those features approach the atomic level. Intel used to introduce a new class of processors on a dependable, two-year cycle, fueling a broad advance in computing power. But its timetable has been slipping amid increasing complexity in the manufacturing process.

With Ahmed's departure, Intel plans to break its technology and manufacturing group into three segments:

Technology development, led by Mike Mayberry, a Hillsboro executive who serves as Intel's chief technology officer and head of Intel labs. Rich Uhlig will run Intel Labs on an interim basis as Mayberry takes on his new role.
    Manufacturing and operations, led by Ann Kelleher, another Hillsboro executive who had been running the technology and manufacturing group with Ahmed.
    Supply chain, to be run by Randhir Thakur.
    They're all under the direction of Venkata "Murthy" Renduchintala, whom Intel hired away from Qualcomm in 2015. He is now president of several Intel businesses, including manufacturing, and the company's chief engineering officer.

Intel declined to elaborate on the changes.

"Sohail has been a great partner and an outstanding role model of Intel values," Renduchintala wrote in a note to employees obtained by The Oregonian/OregonLive. "His dedication, determined manner, focus on data-driven results and unwavering belief in Intel and in our technology have been foundational to the company's growth and success the past three decades."

Ahmed holds the title of senior vice president and general manager of the technology and manufacturing group. He joined Intel in 1984 and works in Hillsboro, where he and Kelleher have run the manufacturing group since 2016.

Retirement "was not an easy decision, but there is never a perfect time to make a change," Ahmed wrote in a note to colleagues. "It has been a wonderful, exciting and rewarding career for me, far more than I could have ever imagined. I had so much fun and would not trade it for anything else in the world!"

Though Intel's headquarters are in California, its largest and most advanced operations are in Washington County. The company develops each new generation of its leading-edge microprocessors in multibillion-dollar factories on its Ronler Acres campus near Hillsboro Stadium.

Intel employs about 20,000 in Oregon, more than any other business. Many of its top executives work here, too.

The delays in Intel's 10nm rollout result from persistent defects in the chips, reflecting the difficulties in the manufacturing process. Intel insists it will have the new chips out sometime next year, but the delay could enable rivals Advance Micro Devices and ARM Holdings to gain traction, especially in the lucrative market for data center servers.

"Thanks to the efforts of Sohail and the entire Intel team, we are making good progress on 10nm," Renduchintala wrote to employees Monday. "Yields are improving consistent with the timeline that we shared in April, and we continue to expect systems on shelves for the 2019 holiday season."

Intel has been without a chief executive since June, when Brian Krzanich abruptly resigned after the company uncovered "a past consensual relationship with an Intel employee" in violation of corporate policy. Chief Financial Officer Bob Swan is serving as interim CEO.
    Source: Oregon Live
    Last edited by Nelly; 10-17-2018 at 07:21 PM.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB @ 1784/4004MHz Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 830 256GB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Fractal Design Define S Win 7/10 64bit

Xtreme Guru
    Very interesting. Intel had the best chip manufacturing process in the world for at least a good decade. Makes you wonder how they fell so far behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Cruncher
    Because they never bothered to look in the rear view mirror once in a while to see what may be creeping up behind them. Too busy looking forward counting their money.
    24/7 Cruncher #1
    Crosshair VII Hero, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO, 4x8GB GSKILL 3600MHz C15, ASUS TUF 3090 OC
    Samsung 980 1TB NVMe, Samsung 870 QVO 1TB, 2x10TB WD Red RAID1, Win 10 Pro, Enthoo Luxe TG, EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2

24/7 Cruncher #2
    ASRock X470 Taichi, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 AIO, 2x16GB GSKILL NEO 3600MHz C16, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
    Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe, Samsung 870 EVO 500GBWin 10 Ent, Enthoo Pro, Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W

24/7 Cruncher #3
    GA-P67A-UD4-B3 BIOS F8 mod, 2600k (L051B138) @ 4.5 GHz, 1.260v full load, Arctic Liquid 120, (Boots Win @ 5.6 GHz per Massman binning)
    Samsung Green 4x4GB @2133 C10, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Hybrid, Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Rosewill Rise, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2

24/7 Cruncher #4 ... Crucial M225 64GB SSD Donated to Endurance Testing (Died at 968 TB of writes...no that is not a typo!)
    GA-EP45T-UD3LR BIOS F10 modded, Q6600 G0 VID 1.212 (L731B536), 3.6 GHz 9x400 @ 1.312v full load, Zerotherm Zen FZ120
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR3-1600MHz C7, Gigabyte 7950 @1200/1250, Crucial MX100 128GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Centurion 590, XFX PRO650W

Music System
    SB Server->SB Touch w/Android Tablet as a remote->Denon AVR-X3300W->JBL Studio Series Floorstanding Speakers, JBL LS Center, 2x SVS SB-2000 Subs

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestang View Post
    Because they never bothered to look in the rear view mirror once in a while to see what may be creeping up behind them. Too busy looking forward counting their money.
    meh more like choosing the wrong technology which turned out to be a burden for future process. If intel was only counting money, they wouldn't have invested over 4 billion into ASML in 2012, which now is basically one of the problems that are surfacing, because EUV is still not ready after 6 years of development. Intel also now has dropped stakes in ASML considerably.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    meh more like choosing the wrong technology which turned out to be a burden for future process. If intel was only counting money, they wouldn't have invested over 4 billion into ASML in 2012, which now is basically one of the problems that are surfacing, because EUV is still not ready after 6 years of development. Intel also now has dropped stakes in ASML considerably.
    I think this sounds more reasonable. Intel always invested money in manufacturing because it's guaranteed return. Improved yield and smaller process = more margin per chip sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans