Thread: [news] AMD Introduces Dynamic Local Mode for Threadripper: up to 47% Performance Gain

Xtreme Enthusiast

[news] AMD Introduces Dynamic Local Mode for Threadripper: up to 47% Performance Gain

Quote Originally Posted by TechPowerUp | Posted: 8 October 2018
    AMD has made a blog post describing an upcoming feature for their Threadripper processors called "Dynamic Local Mode", which should help a lot with gaming performance on AMD's latest flagship CPUs.

Threadripper uses four dies in a multi-chip package, of which only two have a direct access path to the memory modules. The other two dies have to rely on Infinity Fabric for all their memory accesses, which comes with a significant latency hit. Many compute-heavy applications can run their workloads in the CPU cache, or require only very little memory access; these are not affected. Other applications, especially games, spread their workload over multiple cores, some of which end up with higher memory latency than expected, which results in a suboptimal performance.

The concept of multiple processors having different memory access paths is called NUMA (Non-uniform memory access). While technically it is possible for software to detect the NUMA configuration and attach each thread to the ideal processor core, most applications are not NUMA aware and the adoption rate is very slow, probably due to the low number of systems using such a concept.

In ThreadRipper, using Ryzen Master, users are free to switch between "Local Memory Access" mode or "Distributed Memory Access" mode, with the latter being the default for ThreadRipper, resulting in highest compute application performance. Local Mode on the other hand is better suited to games, but switching between the modes requires a reboot, which is very inconvenient for users.

AMD's new "Dynamic Local Mode" seeks to abolish that requirement by introducing a background process that continually monitors all running applications for their CPU usage and pushes the more busy ones onto the cores that have direct memory access, by adjusting their process affinity mask, which selects which processors the application is allowed to be scheduled on. Applications that require very little CPU are in turn pushed onto the cores with no memory access, because they are not so important for fast execution.

This update will be available starting October 29 in Ryzen Master, and will be automatically enabled unless the user manually chooses to disable it. AMD also plans to open the feature up to even more users by including Dynamic Local Mode as a default package in the AMD Chipset Drivers.
    Source: AMD Blog Post / TechPowerup
    Last edited by Nelly; 10-11-2018 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Source links
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB @ 1784/4004MHz Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 830 256GB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Fractal Design Define S Win 7/10 64bit

Xtreme Guru
    Really cool. I always wondered how much AMD could improve gaming performance by just reducing the memory calls between CCX modules, and here's your answer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

I wish this was a BIOS update we could do now
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Guru
    Will this update be available for all Ryzen or just ThreadRipper? My understanding from the article is this will be released to the ThreadRipper software suite first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans