Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2080Ti 2080 Reviews

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestang View Post
    Unless they know AMD has something that might spoil their run coming very soon. Haven't heard much of anything from them, just like before Ryzen was dropped on Intel's lap.
    Maybe Nvidia knows something we don't, but Ryzen was not a surprise. We knew a lot about it a good year in advance and AMD did several previews of it's performance (like the blender test) to get investors excited.

Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    AMD is being uncharacteristicly quiet. Either they have nothing or they are going to carpet bomb Nvidia.

I think they will refresh Vega and stay competitive with pricing (Nvidia isn't making it hard). It'll be another year or two for them really catch up I think. If real time ray tracing takes off as quickly as Nvidia seems to think it will, AMD could find themselves a bit behind...
    AMD being quiet is historically a bad sign. They let out tons of sneak previews of Athlon 64 and Ryzen, but were dead silent on Bulldozer once it began to slip deadlines. Same analogy holds true for the HD 4870 through 7870 vs Vega. I think they have nothing in the GPU space and know it. There's a reason they spun off Radeon technologies as a separate entity, and that's so they can break it out of the bottom line in the investor reports. I don't think it's impossible for them to catch up - but Nvidia, unlike Intel, isn't letting off the gas pedal while they're on top.
    Last edited by AliG; 09-25-2018 at 12:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    I understand but bigger means more costly to manufacture. Im also reasonably certain GDDR6 isn't cheap either. And the "performance" you are referring to only applies to half the chip. The potential is much higher than Pascal.

That said, until ray racing and IA AA (what ever its called) becomes mainstream, I wouldn't buy one if there's cards regardless the price.
    Still, the cost of the product isn't something I care about as a consumer, if the cost has gone up, that's not my fault. It's something that NV has to handle, not necessarily pass onto the customer. Especially when the product doesn't appear to deliver.
    I do get what you're saying about the potential performance though, but as consumers we shouldn't be buying based on hopes and dreams.... regardless of whether people actually are or not
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro
    So why is it customary to post specs in sigs anyway?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SADS View Post
    Still, the cost of the product isn't something I care about as a consumer, if the cost has gone up, that's not my fault. It's something that NV has to handle, not necessarily pass onto the customer. Especially when the product doesn't appear to deliver.
    I do get what you're saying about the potential performance though, but as consumers we shouldn't be buying based on hopes and dreams.... regardless of whether people actually are or not
    I agree on the "wait and see" point. Not laying out a grand on promises. But in the end the company won't be judged on how overpriced it was but how well it sells. Its funny how so many people blame the company for prices but hey, if there are enough stupids with too much money, can't blame Nvidia. All indications I've seen says preorders are selling well.

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    AMD being quiet is historically a bad sign. They let out tons of sneak previews of Athlon 64 and Ryzen, but were dead silent on Bulldozer once it began to slip deadlines. Same analogy holds true for the HD 4870 through 7870 vs Vega. I think they have nothing in the GPU space and know it. There's a reason they spun off Radeon technologies as a separate entity, and that's so they can break it out of the bottom line in the investor reports. I don't think it's impossible for them to catch up - but Nvidia, unlike Intel, isn't letting off the gas pedal while they're on top.
    Agreed. I'm not expecting more than refresh with smaller nodes and slightly better performance. They should do well in the price/performance though.
    Last edited by StAndrew; 09-25-2018 at 02:03 PM.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Mentor
    IMO AMD will gain market on computing side with 7nm and energy decrease.

I am not blaming nvidia about anything including price. But I love to think and try to understand pricing and marketing strategies which I am trying to do here.

A certain rushed release with performance increase lower than expected and higher pricing. Maybe I cant do anything more than speculation but why not to think about this?

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

The 2070 is a low end chip (106) and they want $600. That is way too much for a low end chip.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Does anyone know when the 2080 ti will be available for sale in the US ?

I would guess november given how many preorders there were and tsmc 12nm being slow still.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    I would guess november given how many preorders there were and tsmc 12nm being slow still.
    I can't even find a place to preorder. Any links ?

Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    I can't even find a place to preorder. Any links ?
    The cards already launched so no more preorders. They had day one stock then have to fill pre orders. That is why I guessed November. If you have a small local store they might have a list?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12