Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: It was a good run

After being a member on this forum for 12 years I felt compelled to post seeing the title of this thread. While many forums seem to be slowing down compared to other engagement options, I still very much see their value. I've researched many of my PC builds on this forum and it's a wealth of knowledge. I hope forums like XS live on for many more years.
    2500K@4.9GHz (1.35v) (Swiftech Edge 220 + 3 Scythe SFF21F) | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 | MSI GTX1660 Ventus XS OC | ASRock Z68 Fatal1ty GEN3 | Silverstone ST1200 | Crucial M4 256GB + 6TB | Thermaltake Level 10 GT | X-Fi Titanium HD + ATH-AD700 | LG BH10LS30 + Pioneer DVR-212 | Samsung BX2440 | G510 + G700 + G25 | Win10 Pro 64 | CyberPower 2200E-GP UPS

Xtreme Addict
    I just wish we hadn't lost that database.
    I wrote most of the details here on my mem cfg, and without it I have no clue what order my sticks of ram were in.
    Kinda important when you got 4 sticks of ram to deal with, let alone 8 total.

To put it simply, I can't get my original mem setup 100% now, let alone with twice the sticks of ram.
    Well I could but, it may take me a month's worth of messing about. (the time it takes to take out my vga to get to my ram, and then test each cfg, it's not like memtest is quick these days, and it's not even a good test...)
    You live and learn I guess..
    I knew ram ordering was important in the ddr1 days, but to go from 100% stable to iffyness because you forgot the order :\.

I don't know, it doesn't really matter.
    I needed a bigger radiator anyways, cpu just get's too high in temps with a 2x140mm rad.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 10-22-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Dothan FTW!
    I've been gone for far too long, I'm just glad there's a forum to come back to. It seems many have left, but a lot of the old crew, and some of the most xtreme are still here!

It sucks that a database was lost, have you tried the internet archive, NEOAethyr? If you're lucky it might have saved your thread on archive.org. Has to be worth a try!

This forum still has a wealth of information on older hardware which you won't find anywhere else, CPU steppings, volt mods, exotic cooling..The whole history of overclocking really. It's becoming relevant again as more people get into "retro" computing and want to learn our old tricks. Like removing a resistor to unlock the extra pipelines on a Radeon 9500 *non* Pro and turn it into a 9700 Pro...Have you seen the price of 9700 Pro's lately, or tried to find one which still works?!
    Last edited by MeltedDuron; 10-23-2018 at 04:46 AM. Reason: The 9500pro is a turd, it has to be a 9500NP with L-shaped ram config
    .:MeltedDuron:.
    Aurora - i5 7600K@4.2GHz- Zotac GTX1070 Mini - 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3-3000 - Asus Prime Z270M - Fusion ioDrive Duo 1.2TB - 2x512GB Samsung Evo 970 Plus - Seagate FireCuda 2TB - HGST 4TB - Fractal Design Define Mini - Win7 and OSX 10.12
    Lenore - Xeon L5430 - Gigabyte G33M-DS2R - 2x2GB HyperX 6400 - Sapphire Radeon HD5450 - M-Audio Delta 1010 - Adaptec SCSI - 256GB Firestorm SSD - 1TB Samsung F1 - 2U rack mounted - WinXP and OSX 10.6
    Delilah - Pentium E5800 @ 4.2GHZ (VID mod) - Asrock Conroe865PE - Radeon 9800 Pro - 2x512MB GeiL Blue PC3200 - 30GB OCZ Vertex - 160GB Seagate - 2U rack mounted - Win98SE and Win2k
    Jezabel - Athlon XP 2800+ Barton @ 2100 (200*10.5) - ATi FireGL X1 256MB - Asus A7N8X-E Dlx - 2x512MB OCZ EL PC3200 - OG Antec Case - Win98SE and Win2k
    Mysti (WIP) - Pentium II 350MHz - Abit BX6 Rev2 - 4x256MB PC100 SDRAM - ATi Rage Fury Maxx - Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo2 8MB - 20GB IBM DeathStar - Still looking for the right case...

Xtreme Monster
    Intel is the one to blame for disabling overclocking, with a 2.6ghz cpu, overclocking it could get you close to 5.0ghz which was in turn almost 100%, nowadays overclocking has very low gains, for example the 9900k which has a turbo base clock of 5ghz one core, overclocking it gives you 5.2ghz maximum, that is only 4%, now imagine if the base clock was 5ghz and overclocking could get you 10ghz,
    XS would have so many people asking how to get there because this like used to be would be reference. XS was and is a reference for overclocking but as overclock is almost dead, few people come here to learn or teach how to get the most of your cpu. So to summarize, before 2.6ghz to 5ghz and now 5ghz to 5.2ghz.
    Last edited by Metroid; 10-23-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MeltedDuron View Post
    This forum still has a wealth of information on older hardware which you won't find anywhere else, CPU steppings, volt mods, exotic cooling..The whole history of overclocking really. It's becoming relevant again as more people get into "retro" computing and want to learn our old tricks. Like removing a resistor to unlock the extra pipelines on a Radeon 9500 *non* Pro and turn it into a 9700 Pro...Have you seen the price of 9700 Pro's lately, or tried to find one which still works?!
    My 6800gs agp was the same,unlocking pipes and also you got extra clocks.

I want to buy a gainward bliss 7800gs+ golden edition agp version,it has the 7900gtx core.

I would like to bench that against the my 3850 agp

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
    Intel is the one to blame for disabling overclocking, with a 2.6ghz cpu, overclocking it could get you close to 5.0ghz which was in turn almost 100%, nowadays overclocking has very low gains, for example the 9900k which has a turbo base clock of 5ghz one core, overclocking it gives you 5.2ghz maximum, that is only 4%, now imagine if the base clock was 5ghz and overclocking could get you 10ghz,
    XS would have so many people asking how to get there because this like used to be would be reference. XS was and is a reference for overclocking but as overclock is almost dead, few people come here to learn or teach how to get the most of your cpu. So to summarize, before 2.6ghz to 5ghz and now 5ghz to 5.2ghz.
    All core base clocks are still around 3.6ghz for the higher core count cpus, without EXOTIC cooling(like AIO PHASE or Chilled water),we wont be seeing 5.2 24/7 stable

My 8086k is only 6core 4ghz base after 7 years of running 4ghz+ 6c cpu,we are way ahead of the curve.

Most likely 1nm is when we will see 5ghz base part with more than 8cores

Xtreme Member
    the last 3 posts are not topic related !?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post
    the last 3 posts are not topic related !?
    The topic is about (xs)ocing (in general) slowing down.

Unlocking pipes/shaders and increasing clocks is what again ?

Intel cpus slowly increased perf along w/price
    Also speaking on being stuck @ 4ghz for a # of years is on topic
    Amd didn't have anything to combat 4/5/6 series
    Benching older hardware would sure bring back the fun times.
    Where's all those old lian li cases w/phase change
    I'm looking for a phase change system myself

Xtreme Member
    read fromt the first post

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post
    read fromt the first post
    Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    It was a good run but looks like XS is a dead forum.

I told why I believe xs slowed down and suggested clocking older hw to bring back the atmosphere

Responding to other post about the excitement we got from clocking older hardware shows why there was more going on then.

Amd has given us some hardware to unlock though 290x/rx480 and vega 56

But Zen doesn't clock like FX/Phenom2 so xtreme clocking like phase for an xtra 100mhz is not exciting

Xtreme Member
    My login still works & I can't believe I remembered my pw! Mostly a lurker but have been enjoying this forum since the early 2000's.
    Haswell, Maxwell, MLC

My HeatWare 77-0-0

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by newls1 View Post
    to the old timers here might remember me, I started my external watercoolers from this site called the "waterkeg" I learned so much from the members here and owe just about all my knowledge from this forum.. this used to be the most pristine forum on the interwebs in its day..... great community, great people. God, to only go back to my oc'ing days with my "Chilly1" phase changer and fx55/57 3.0ghz + days were so costly and FUN! Never want to see this forum go away....
    Good to see you're still out there! I don't visit quite as often as I used to, but XS will always be my home.

Charles Barkley

"Poor People have been voting for Democrats for the last 50 years ... and they are still poor."

I do like seeing the familiar old names popping in.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    775 socket...500 MHz FSB OC'ing FTW!
    24/7 Cruncher #1
    Crosshair VII Hero, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO, 4x8GB GSKILL 3600MHz C15, ASUS TUF 3090 OC
    Samsung 980 1TB NVMe, Samsung 870 QVO 1TB, 2x10TB WD Red RAID1, Win 10 Pro, Enthoo Luxe TG, EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2

24/7 Cruncher #2
    ASRock X470 Taichi, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 AIO, 2x16GB GSKILL NEO 3600MHz C16, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
    Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe, Samsung 870 EVO 500GBWin 10 Ent, Enthoo Pro, Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W

24/7 Cruncher #3
    GA-P67A-UD4-B3 BIOS F8 mod, 2600k (L051B138) @ 4.5 GHz, 1.260v full load, Arctic Liquid 120, (Boots Win @ 5.6 GHz per Massman binning)
    Samsung Green 4x4GB @2133 C10, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Hybrid, Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Rosewill Rise, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2

24/7 Cruncher #4 ... Crucial M225 64GB SSD Donated to Endurance Testing (Died at 968 TB of writes...no that is not a typo!)
    GA-EP45T-UD3LR BIOS F10 modded, Q6600 G0 VID 1.212 (L731B536), 3.6 GHz 9x400 @ 1.312v full load, Zerotherm Zen FZ120
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR3-1600MHz C7, Gigabyte 7950 @1200/1250, Crucial MX100 128GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Centurion 590, XFX PRO650W

Music System
    SB Server->SB Touch w/Android Tablet as a remote->Denon AVR-X3300W->JBL Studio Series Floorstanding Speakers, JBL LS Center, 2x SVS SB-2000 Subs

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestang View Post
    775 socket...500 MHz FSB OC'ing FTW!
    My first 5ghz back in 2010 YEA!

I have a gig ud3p that loves quads, i just hope she still works.

same same lika u - GA-EP45T-UD3P, you got me thinking, I haven't looked at it in many years.
    Pins still good , just needs a little cleaning, not much.....

Check it out in action...
    -50c at idle, Thanks Ron!

Last edited by systemviper; 11-03-2018 at 07:16 AM.
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

my thoughts

Things started changing and the bug really hit me with the lga 775's and when I came here. It was a little elitist and you even had to watch your spelling or you would be criticized...
    But i knew that if you want to be the best you have to play with the best so i stayed. I remember Martins liquid lab, CyberDruid building his water cooling solutions, Ron (runmc) , Movieman and many many more.
    We had some great rivalries that had respect on both sides of the game... It was that respect that was a keystone of the site.

We were all active breaking records, experimenting with new solutions to get more speed and just playing till someone figured it out....
    and they would actually tell you how, no selfishness< I think we all knew it was a special time./
    Then the x58's came out and it was still great but something started creeping into the sport, it was Money.
    People started getting sponsors and the the cost to get tri sli cards or crossfire or even a single 4870x2 wasn't cheap but still affordable.
    Motherboards were going up in price for the enthusiast market, the evga classy, or a UD10 started going up and up.

So then when the new equipment came out, immediately people were binning hardware or just buying lots of it and taking all the top spots.
    I would look at my paycheck and see that all the top scores were saturated with the sponsored people and the well off. That wasn't me, so it was tough to spend
    so much money and know I couldn't compete with them. Kinda took some wind out of my sails.
    It was tough to pop a chip or blow a board,. That is when the league debates started and I just faded to another life,,,,

Remember the days of RedRider, lol RRR, everyone was wak.... But we were living large,, XS was supreme!

but i loved those times, so i'm going to try to relive some of them this winter and up my score now that a lot of the stuff is cheap enough to blow up.....
    As for why things have thinned out, I think it's like someone said before, it's just progress. You can't squeeze much out of today's chips and the extreme ones cost a bundle.
    My wife would kill me if I blew up a 600 chip or a 400 board. Plus I'm not going to beat the pro's i just don't have the time.
    Maybe part of it is we are just getting older.

But there is still room to play and I like the idea of stepping back in history and doing what i couldn't before.....
    so 478/479's, 775 and 1366's look out, SystemViper coming to over-volt the electrons in your world!

Sorry for the ramble it's getting late...
    I look forward to rebuilding some old contacts....
    thanks

my2c
    SV
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

Oh geez RRR that brings back memories.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Oh geez RRR that brings back memories.
    Yea it was just so crazy that I knew someone would get a chuckle now about it...
    I remember we even had some defectors to that loud mouth...
    So I did a search if there was any traces of the infamous Real Red Raider and found this...

From an unnamed site....
    07-01-2011, 02:31 PM

"Originally posted by Xiphais
    Any suggestions for good watercooling forums?"
    ------
    Re: Modding tips article

Originally posted by DarthBeavis

XtremeSystems Inc - News
    RealRedraider.com

They fight against each-other but both have sources of H20 info. RRR requires a thick skin so be warned.

Xiphais Posted;

Thanks. That was exactly what I was looking for. Thich skin indeed for RRR. You did warn me.

and now RealRedraider.com is...

Last edited by systemviper; 11-03-2018 at 02:44 PM.
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Wow, unreal to see some of the old crew.

Been a long time since I've said hello. So "hi" and let's get it going again!
    CPU: Intel CORE 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.6GHz w/ 1.29vcore (517*7)
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte P35-DQ6
    Memory:
    Crucial 8500's
    Video:
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    PSU:
    Zippy 700W (fan modded of course)

Goes to show that at least some of the old crew just lurks in the shadows.
    The Cardboard Master

CALL TO ACTION! - World Community Grid (WCG) - XtremeSystems`s HWbot and user base!

CALL TO ACTION! - World Community Grid (WCG) - XtremeSystems`s HWbot and user base!

I got itchy and just couldn't sit around and do nothing, so this is me, for what ever that is.....\
    I even made my first HWbot submission in over 6 years, so I'm not going to just complain or reminisce, sorry

http://hwbot.org/submission/3973946_...0k_5198.79_mhz

Hi, I know that most of you don't know me or maybe you do, but i have never been one to keep my mouth shut or just sit around.
    Well i say, no freakin way, we were once the keystone site for overclocking and we could be again. What we need is for our members to go to your teams forum and post something, anything, I know that we still have a strong user-base and reputation, I saw someone say XS is dead, well I call bull to that.
    Common prove me wrong.... Let's not be what we were but grow to what we know we can be!

My son's off at college now so i have been planning for years to get back into overclocking. I came back and see they put up a parking lot....
    I know many of us are still here but we need some posting, I am going to put a few posts in the various team forums, if we could get a post from the active members of those groups, it would be a start of getting reacquainted with our fellow XSers. Remember our journey starts with the first step...

Well i say - Make your post your first step, then you will start to see familiar faces and the snow flake will turn into a landslide, life happens.
    So i am planting a seed here, it takes you to water it!

I think it will be nice for the groups to post first in their community thread, that is where the strongest bonds are, from there just branch out to what interests you.
    Whoever said overclocking is dead isn't seeing the future, that 4870x2 that you always wanted to sli, well now their affordable, lots of cheap chips to blow up and best of all it won't cost you much but your time! Even the cutting edge tech will just take us to places we can't even imagine.... Is XS important to you?. Show us....

So what do you say? If not for me, then for Fugger and if not for him then for YOURSELF!

Don't tell me XS is dead, this thread has been up for 2 months and this is the stat - 96 replies | 7888 view(s)
    8000 views in 2 months, what's that about

THANKS
    -steve
    SV
    Last edited by systemviper; 11-04-2018 at 02:13 AM. Reason: im wak
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

Xtreme Member
    This forum has started my interest in Hardware and overclocking back in the day. Been lurking forever in here !
    i9 9900K/1080 Ti

Xtreme CCIE
    I'll echo sentiments above... overclocking just ain't what it used to be. Now it's a consumerized product, and you need to pay extra to be able to do it well.

Not to get all "back in my day", but I can remember doing pencil mods and hacking/reflashing BIOS' to unlock better performance. Overclocking was a way for Main Street to get better speeds, but Wall Street has taken this round.

Hopefully it's cyclical though and will come back.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

I woke this place up for a little while but it seems to be dying out again.

OMG Serra!

Good to see your again
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel