Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It was a good run

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by thesaucier View Post
    Yep. Its kinda all done for you now.
    Tuning the systems is what its all about anyway

Uncore and Memory Timings leaves a lot to tweak , then max all core

I don't believe there will be a maximum overclock (crysis voice) button, too many diff configs

The more cores you have the more xtreme the cooling will have to be (intel 28core demo)

5Ghz 24/7 16c or more please

My favorite was the Celeron 533A that I had. It was a new Coppermine based model. It overclocked from 533 MHz to about 920 MHz, and this was at a time before we had any commercially available processors clocked that high.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Mentor
    My favorite was athlon 1700+. That cpu was an oc monster.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Cyrix M II, hands down the best CPU ever ( and an OC monster )
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Guess it's time post - my last post was April, 2008 LoL

I should update my sig too.

Basically, this is the same machine, but I'm running a Peppermint Linux OS 7 Xenial/Cosmic Cowboy build (32bit Linux 4.18 Kernel), dual-booted (now get this) with the same Windows 2K Pro install.

Some things don't change much, eh what?
    Case: Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203, Black, 3 Window
    PSU: Ultra X-Connect XVS 600-Watt with Modular Cabling
    OS: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (Service Pack 4)
    Mobo: DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev. B1 (Canterwood i875P)
    RAM: 1024 MB of Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 / DDR-500
    Processor: Intel ® Pentium 4EE (Gallatin) 478 Pin OC @ 3825MHz
    GFX Card: XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PVT73AUDF3) Nvidia GeForce™
    Storage: Dual WD800JB 80 GB SATA Striped Array @ 7200 RPMS
    Originally posted by zig3695
    creepily i think there is always some truth behind vindsl's comments, sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Guess it's time post - my last post was April, 2008 LoL

I should update my sig too.

Basically, this is the same machine, but I'm running a Peppermint Linux OS 7 Xenial/Cosmic Cowboy build (32bit Linux 4.18 Kernel), dual-booted (now get this) with the same Windows 2K Pro install.

Some things don't change much, eh what?
    What browser? What version of DirectX?

You probably have dot matrix printer and get a kick out of generating ASCII art!

I used to dual boot Debian full GCC and 98SE with Visual Studio 6 on a 166 Mhz Pentium with 16 MB RAM, 400 MB HDD, wrote in VC++ and checked platform compatibility with *NIX with GCC! Work had W2K, I jumped to XP later, remember turning off the eye candy in XP to make it faster!
    Last edited by xytrius; 09-17-2018 at 02:52 AM.

Very special thanks to everyone who has helped me here.

The generosity and kindness of XS is overwhelming. Thank you so much, thank you to all who gave me stuff at the FS section (what a place that was, a treasure!).
    Thank you, I still remember:
    bt_medic04, that Soyo MB for $10, it was selling for over $150, how could you?
    Lowtcell, that 2200+ proc for $5, the shipping was $10, damn you!
    ZL1Killa, my first smartphone, DroidX (all accessories, + extra-long battery, phone case), $50 for a $500 phone; may you roast in hell!

This place was a wealth of knowledge. Maxxracer pretty much taught me WC (he was the best WC guy, bar none). I was fascinated by FUGGER hosting XS on a Mac Server (massive traffic back then, thousands and thousands in the intel section and LN2/Water), he was also the first to switch procs on a Mac, anywhere. Before FUGGER changed his name, he was substance and guile. All the editors for those gay forums like Toms and Anandtech came HERE for info. Those were the days!

EDIT: How could I have forgotten hipro and the DDR booster?! Two LANParty boards you helped me fry, hipro! People were engineers back in the day, people of substance!
    Last edited by xytrius; 09-17-2018 at 04:26 AM.

I thought I'd lose my cherry with my response to this thread. I started lurking in the forums in 2003/2004 and I was inspired to pick up an Asetek Vapochill LS and I never looked back. I liked AnandTech for reviews and would occasionally hit Toms Hardware but I thought that this was the definitive place and bleeding edge for overclocking. This was the place to look for overclocking databases for any chip lot numbers and was very active. Between 2012 and 2016 I disappeared and it looks like something has happened in the last six years and I am wondering why. Is it the relative ease at which systems can now be overclocked? Is it that "extreme" overclocks are not yielding the "worthwhile" performance gains over the cookie cutter main stream efforts? Is it that overclocking itself has become main stream and has caused a diffusion of overclocking "sources"? I would still think that "extreme" overclocking would still be sought after because it is the act of squeezing every drop of performance from their systems, much like racing enthusiasts.

I was looking to find a phase change build for a single stage phase cooler and didn't want to turn to Little Devil so I contacted under-the-ice.com and the owner Ron said they no longer offer their phase builds any longer. Ron was a prominent poster in this community. I asked if he had any leads and he never responded. I posted on different sites looking for builders and it went nowhere. I was able to score an old custom single stage from a guy in Pennsylvania who had Sdumper build him one. I reached out to Sdumper in 2012 and he never responded to me. I am still interested in a new build. Maybe someone here can give me a lead. I am curious like others as to what has caused the drop in the active community here and would be interested in all of your comments.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123