Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: It was a good run

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by newls1 View Post
    to the old timers here might remember me, I started my external watercoolers from this site called the "waterkeg" I learned so much from the members here and owe just about all my knowledge from this forum.. this used to be the most pristine forum on the interwebs in its day..... great community, great people. God, to only go back to my oc'ing days with my "Chilly1" phase changer and fx55/57 3.0ghz + days were so costly and FUN! Never want to see this forum go away....

I remember.

And all the water cooling debates.

I recently got back into enthusiast happenings with my computer and revamping my cooling loops. So much has changed. Made me miss XS and then I come here and see its a ghost town. Makes me sad.

I see all these new faces on youtube talking about liquid cooling and discovering things we were debating and figuring out over a decade ago like its something new...

Is this what it feels like to be old?

EDIT: I really need to update my sig

Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT -> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 5.0GHz @1.368V |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco DDR3-1600-8-8-8-24|Asus DirectCUII GTX670|120 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Plextor 755-SA|Auzentech Prelude 7.1|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)

Squire|Shuttle SD36G5M| R.I.P.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MeltedDuron View Post
    It sucks that a database was lost, have you tried the internet archive, NEOAethyr? If you're lucky it might have saved your thread on archive.org. Has to be worth a try!
    Yeah I just tried that, no luck on google, it used to be there for about a month after the forums crashed though.
    That's what I get for being lazy :\.

Edit: Oh and on Archive.org it's not there lol, not much is on my end.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 11-17-2018 at 06:34 AM.

Engineering The Xtreme
    It certainly was interesting to see the Watercooling mod scene disappear in what seemed like an instant. We had a crazy active community back then... It still exists today I guess, but its less centralized and more commercially dominated.

As many have stated there's just not much to be had in the way of benefits from overclocking that you cant get from a self contained 240 WC kit. I still run a custom loop with WC CPU and GPU. Project Flow still lives today in its 5th full hardware incarnation.

My learning from this forum and experience building things and modding has helped me immensely in life and I always felt it put me at an advantage in engineering product design. I still "mod" things a lot, but it has more to do with work and my car.

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    Everyone have a great thanksgiving

thanks for your support

`steve
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

YouTube Addict
    XtremeSystems isn't dead; until the spirit of youth gives up on pushing computers to their limits. On then on that day will XtremeSystems truly be dead.
    We the old guard are aging and will some day die. Even if the forum server dies and there are no admins to restore it, the spirit will still live in the hearts of all those who truly wish to know the limits of the machines you have. Though it may go by different names and be staffed by different faces. The desire to push limits and do better is innate in who we all are.

Some used that knowledge to mine bitcoin when it was 10,000 to the dollar or Fold for WCG or simply try to set a world record. The greatest value we ever had was those that create something wonderful and share with others. We invented, we solved and we made the world a better place.

Now is the time for the next generation to decide in what new direction to go. To find the new mountain tops to climb and to make an impression to shake the world. Be bound not by the past but by the possibilities of the future given the technologies that are starting to be born.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    XtremeSystems isn't dead; until the spirit of youth gives up on pushing computers to their limits. On then on that day will XtremeSystems truly be dead.
    We the old guard are aging and will some day die. Even if the forum server dies and there are no admins to restore it, the spirit will still live in the hearts of all those who truly wish to know the limits of the machines you have. Though it may go by different names and be staffed by different faces. The desire to push limits and do better is innate in who we all are.

Some used that knowledge to mine bitcoin when it was 10,000 to the dollar or Fold for WCG or simply try to set a world record. The greatest value we ever had was those that create something wonderful and share with others. We invented, we solved and we made the world a better place.

Now is the time for the next generation to decide in what new direction to go. To find the new mountain tops to climb and to make an impression to shake the world. Be bound not by the past but by the possibilities of the future given the technologies that are starting to be born.

nn_step!!! How's it going?!?!? One of the OG's from the what I will refer to as the "golden era" of this forum (you and many others who have also posted here recently.. too many to name.). I recall when you made an XS_OS. I've often wondered how you've been, you and another guy... something "prime"... crud can't recall his handle at the moment.

Any how, good to see you post on here after a hiatus. Hope all is well. Cheers.
    -Cpu:Opteron 170 LCBQE 0722RPBW(2.87ghz @ 1.300v)
    (retired)Opteron 146 (939) CAB2E 0540
    -Heatsink: Thermalright XP-90
    -Fan:120mm Yate Loon 1650 RPM @ 12V, 70.5 CFM, 33dB
    -Motherboard: DFI Lanparty nF4 UT Ultra-D
    -Ram: Mushkin High Performance blue, 2gigs(2X1gig kit) PC3200 991434
    -Hard drive: Seagate 400GB Barracuda SATA HD 7200.10(AS noisey model)
    -Video card: evga 6800GS @520/1170
    -Case: P180
    -PSU:Enermax 535Watt EG565P-VE FMA (24P)

Dothan FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post

And the award for most inspirational post ever goes to nn_step! wow. just wow. this community is something special.
    .:MeltedDuron:.
    Aurora - i5 7600K@4.2GHz- Zotac GTX1070 Mini - 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3-3000 - Asus Prime Z270M - Fusion ioDrive Duo 1.2TB - 2x512GB Samsung Evo 970 Plus - Seagate FireCuda 2TB - HGST 4TB - Fractal Design Define Mini - Win7 and OSX 10.12
    Lenore - Xeon L5430 - Gigabyte G33M-DS2R - 2x2GB HyperX 6400 - Sapphire Radeon HD5450 - M-Audio Delta 1010 - Adaptec SCSI - 256GB Firestorm SSD - 1TB Samsung F1 - 2U rack mounted - WinXP and OSX 10.6
    Delilah - Pentium E5800 @ 4.2GHZ (VID mod) - Asrock Conroe865PE - Radeon 9800 Pro - 2x512MB GeiL Blue PC3200 - 30GB OCZ Vertex - 160GB Seagate - 2U rack mounted - Win98SE and Win2k
    Jezabel - Athlon XP 2800+ Barton @ 2100 (200*10.5) - ATi FireGL X1 256MB - Asus A7N8X-E Dlx - 2x512MB OCZ EL PC3200 - OG Antec Case - Win98SE and Win2k
    Mysti (WIP) - Pentium II 350MHz - Abit BX6 Rev2 - 4x256MB PC100 SDRAM - ATi Rage Fury Maxx - Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo2 8MB - 20GB IBM DeathStar - Still looking for the right case...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well to me this is home, I might not be as active as I was back in the day, but any time I think about building a new PC I come over here to check what you guys are up to.

I'm not able to participate in wcg as I moved from Venezuela 8 years ago where electricity was free (almost free) to Panama where electricity is 19cent kw/h which is horrible

Also, I believe XS might need to revamp into what people are nowadays like IG or Youtube (we missed an opportunity to build the most outstanding youtube channel with all the information we have over here)
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    Overclocking in general is sorta dying, in no small part due to cheaper and better profiling tools available at the foundry. 15 years ago, these tools didn't exist, and nobody really knew how good their silicon was (well, without spending more money than the profit you'd get from selling the chip, so you'd rather not find out). In the interests of making sure things work, they would market their silicon as if they were all the worst-case scenario in silicon quality. This resulted in companies leaving a lot of performance on the table, which you could then help yourself to by investing a lot of time into finding out just how good your chip was.

Things are different now. Profiling tools got really good, and really cheap. The fab knows EXACTLY how fast the critical path in your chip is. Armed with this knowledge, you can actually design your own auto-overclocking circuit that will push the silicon right to its theoretical max for every imaginable path through the logic. There's no way a human can compete with a machine like that. We aren't seeing this quite yet, by the way, but the first steps are already there, and I promise you it is being worked on. For now, the auto-overclocking technology is good enough to do a better job than most (but not all) overclockers. And it's only the first step.

It's bittersweet. On the one hand, the fun in trying to get a free lunch out of your expensive new toy is gone. There's no free lunch; if you want a faster CPU (or GPU, or whatever), the only answer is more money. On the other hand, the 99.9% majority of consumers that either don't know about the existence of the free lunch, don't know how to obtain said free lunch, or simply can't be bothered will benefit from the hardware doing it by itself.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Overclocking in general is sorta dying, in no small part due to cheaper and better profiling tools available at the foundry. 15 years ago, these tools didn't exist, and nobody really knew how good their silicon was (well, without spending more money than the profit you'd get from selling the chip, so you'd rather not find out). In the interests of making sure things work, they would market their silicon as if they were all the worst-case scenario in silicon quality. This resulted in companies leaving a lot of performance on the table, which you could then help yourself to by investing a lot of time into finding out just how good your chip was.

Things are different now. Profiling tools got really good, and really cheap. The fab knows EXACTLY how fast the critical path in your chip is. Armed with this knowledge, you can actually design your own auto-overclocking circuit that will push the silicon right to its theoretical max for every imaginable path through the logic. There's no way a human can compete with a machine like that. We aren't seeing this quite yet, by the way, but the first steps are already there, and I promise you it is being worked on. For now, the auto-overclocking technology is good enough to do a better job than most (but not all) overclockers. And it's only the first step.

It's bittersweet. On the one hand, the fun in trying to get a free lunch out of your expensive new toy is gone. There's no free lunch; if you want a faster CPU (or GPU, or whatever), the only answer is more money. On the other hand, the 99.9% majority of consumers that either don't know about the existence of the free lunch, don't know how to obtain said free lunch, or simply can't be bothered will benefit from the hardware doing it by itself.
    These fabs you speak of don't expect people to be run chilled water or phase change and if not testing in this scenario then the max for them and consumers is well below ours.Don't forget we are getting All in one phase change systems and a Aio ln2 setup soon.Extreme clocking can be adopted by many more enthusiast when this happens. Also the lunch wasn't free,we spend a lot of time and sometimes finances to get said lunch and a lot of us are hungry like a wolf.

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell Hound View Post
    These fabs you speak of don't expect people to be run chilled water or phase change and if not testing in this scenario then the max for them and consumers is well below ours.Don't forget we are getting All in one phase change systems and a Aio ln2 setup soon.Extreme clocking can be adopted by many more enthusiast when this happens. Also the lunch wasn't free,we spend a lot of time and sometimes finances to get said lunch and a lot of us are hungry like a wolf.
    Nice...
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell Hound View Post
    They don't really need to - the relationship between transistor switching speed and temperature is very well-understood. You only need to evaluate the speed at a couple temperature points to be able to extrapolate behavior at any temperature. The silicon will then run optimally at whatever temperature it happens to be at.
    True, you could always throw in better cooling and watch the chip clock itself sky-high. But that is also a problem that is solved by simply spending more money.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    They don't really need to - the relationship between transistor switching speed and temperature is very well-understood. You only need to evaluate the speed at a couple temperature points to be able to extrapolate behavior at any temperature. The silicon will then run optimally at whatever temperature it happens to be at.
    True, you could always throw in better cooling and watch the chip clock itself sky-high. But that is also a problem that is solved by simply spending more money.
    The cost of binning would make those chips limited run edition chips.
    Everyone will then buy the regular chips and try their luck.

2.4C killer
    Somehow this forum helped a pimple ridden teenager to helping the US Navy Fleet with there Cyber systems training. I partially thank my small obsession with this forum for that.

Have been through the most of the big events from this place. Late night IRC chats. Crappy video card challenge. When most people split off to XR (think it was xtremeresources). My first chiller back in 2003?

Great times.

I never was as active of a member here as I wanted to be (probably 'cus of lack of knowledge...), but, man, pretty much everything I know when talking 'bout OC'ing I learned here. Especially when it comes to vmods. Started back in SocketA-age and quickly got into Core2Duo, oh boy, did I enjoyed my Biostar TP35D2-A7 w/ the modded BIOS, HD3870... The times when I was taking advantage of the low temps in the winter in my country (Latvia), benching w/ my Sempr0n PC in -10 celsius ambient temps... ;D Well, when nostalgia hits You hard I guess...
    I void warranties...

I am Xtreme
    I don't know what happened but i feel like a lost dog.

XS was so great because you were hanging with the world's best. I don't know where to go to find a community like that these days.

Was looking for some help with a z290 board last year and took hours of Google and newb forums before I found anything I was looking for. 5 years ago there would have likely been a sticky or I would have had the question answered in 5 minutes.

Xtreme Addict
    Doubtful anyone remembers me -- I was never a big poster.

But I loved XS back in the day. From middle school, building my first custom rig (socket 754 Athlon 64 3200+), to high school, building a C2D E6600 and later upgrading to a Q6600... Good times.

I learned everything I knew about overclocking and PCs from XS back then. I felt honored to post on the same forum as legendary overclockers, phase change enthusiasts, and the like. Even if I was just a small time air and, one time, custom water loop casual OCer.

I'm still into PC hardware and browse Overclock.net most days, but it's not the same. The knowledge base of the average user there is just so much lower than it was here. Where I used to just try to soak up what I could from OC experts, now I shake my head at the naive generation Z "enthusiasts" acting like $700 mid-size die GPUs are normal, and as though we should just be grateful to have the privilege to buy a 9900K for $550.

I remember I went AWOL from PC stuff for a few years while in college, and by the time I got back into it, XS was dead. That was a kick in the teeth when I realized this wonderful, joyous thing was gone. Glad some of you all are still around though.

XIP
    XS and overclock

Xtremeish
    Time certainly flies... the names persist, but the avatars are still the easiest to remember. Thanks to all that I had the pleasure to converse with, learn from, and most of all get help with whatever troubleshooting that was going on!
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Looks like it's totally dead now. It was fun while it lasted but I blame offsite links for the death of XS.

off site links?

Quote Originally Posted by IFMU View Post
    off site links?
    At some point the rules were changed to allow links to articles off site. Before that the full article had to be posted here.

Almost all major publishing sites do not allow a full article to be reproduced without permission and/or royalties (of some form, it could be shared ad revenue) even when the publishing house is cited as a source.

The procedure is to have excerpts (usually no more than 25% of the entire article) and/or commentary with a link to the original source if no business arrangement is made. This is in accordance with all manuals of style for electronic publishing, including Associated Press, Columbia University, Chicago Manual of Style and publicly held companies like Apple and Microsoft.

Wikipedia has a comprehensive list of citation guides (and they are available online).

Xtreme Member
    Pretty good time back in the day. The evolution of Intel to Core 2 Duo was what got everyone excited moving from single core CPU to multicore. They were beast and runs far more than AMD those days. I came here and was surprise to remember my user ID and password! What a surprise when I got in.

I missed those days, it was not only computers and hardwares that we discussed, politics, personal life, events around the world. XS was a home that I visited almost everyday back in the days. Work and family has taken over my life and CPU overclocking was relegated to the background, but the knowledge of setting up a computer that I learnt from here still stick with me till date. Wish all the Old dogs here well, but we did have a good time while it last.
    Core 2 Duo E6600 [L625A] 3330MHz 1.375Vcore 24/7
    Core 2 Duo E6600 [L640F] 3330MHz 1.475Vcore
    Crucial 10th Anv 2 x 1GB DDR2-667 @ 463MHz 4-4-4-12
    ASUS P5B Dlx
    FOTRON BLUE STORM 500W
    TT BT with stock Fan
    Gigabyte Nvidia 7600GSw/ Silent Pipe
    WD Cavier 250GB
    Antec P160

Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    At some point the rules were changed to allow links to articles off site. Before that the full article had to be posted here.
    ahk haven't been on forums much in a while, forgot some of the terminology lol

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast