Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: It was a good run

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    Where is everyone, we have a sprint going on....

pm me for details
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Never die.
    Old Standby:
    DFI LANPARTY nF4 Ultra-D (R.AD0) 623-3 BIOS
    AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2 (CCBWE 0529SPMW)
    THERMALRIGHT XP-90 w/Panaflo FBA09A12H-1AZ 90mm (56.8cfm) - AS Ceramique
    MSI NX6600GT-TD128E GF 6600 GT PCI-E
    WD Raptor 74G Boot, WD 1200JB IDE
    NEC ND-3520AW Black
    OCZ OCZ600ADJ ATX 600W
    ALPS Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model DF354H121F
    Lian Li PC-60USB B2 Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    Win XP Pro (32-bit) SP2

Yep seems this forum has pretty much died out. OCN seems to be fairly active, but pretty bugged and borked over there.
    workstation rig
    Board: ASRock x399 Taichi
    Proc: AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 1950x @ 4.05GHz
    Ram: 32GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR4-3600 @ 3200MHz (4x8GB)
    Vid: Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition
    PSU: Silverstone Strider-P 1000w
    HDD/SSD: 960 Evo 500GB, Optane 900p 280GB U.2, 256GB M4, 600GB Vraptor, 4TB barracuda
    Cooling: koolance 280 rad, 240 rad, DDC pumps x2, full cover CPU and GPU blocks.
    Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 OD-Green

Gaming rig
    Board: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (WiFi)
    Proc: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 5.0GHz all cores
    RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver DDR4-3600 (2x16GB)
    Vid: Nvidia RTX 2080 TI Founders Edition @ 2100MHz GPU 7000MHz mem
    PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000G+
    SSD: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2
    Cooling: Hardware Labs Blackice Nemesis L-Series Xtreme 480x54 rad, 360x54 rad, XSPC D5 pump/res, EKWB mono block and full cover GPU block, all fans in silent mode.
    Case: Lian Li PC-V3000

Xtreme Addict
    I tried logging into overclock.net a few months ago, their login form was borked.
    Even after a half @ssed attempt at patching their html stuff it still wouldn't work.
    Tried multiple browsers.
    Go figure, Kinda weird, I even replied about it on tw, no answer I dn wth.
    Not a biggy either though..

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    I think the problem is just the evolution of hardware.

when we first started, we had to take absolute garbage boards, and do crazy things, like completely remove every cap on the board and find some random guy that could speak japanese, to get us caps that wouldnt explode when we did some crazy OC.
    Now, you can find anything, the most obscure items imaginable, are just a click away on Ebay, or Amazon.

We had to dig through schematics, that just kinda "showed up" and research where and how to volt mod something. Now you want more power? Go into Bios, set it to enough voltage to melt your desk if you want... the options there.
    Everything we use to do, is now just on the board - sure, you now pay $700 for a board, and 75% of the features are worthless, but you want 16 phase digital VRMs?Enough voltage then you will ever need? caps that wont explode? It's on the board - just pay extra now. So all the engineers, and super specialized people who just kinda hung around and were experts at 2-3 things, they just dont have much to do now I guess.

Remember when intel was getting destroyed by the AMD64 - then one day, a few people from japan posted some obscure screen shots from a CPU no one recognized - the Merom core, and it was Intel, and it was some how just obliterating the AMD64? Yet, we didnt really know what the Merom core was yet.... but with 10,000 curious people, we knew the next day, and then for months we had Asus selling us laptop / desktop custom CPU adaptors - and when they were no where to be found, some how Saaya knew a guy in like germany - that had a small stash of them, and sourced them to us as much as he could, and then Intel just dropped a atom bomb on us, when they released the Conroe - and since then, Intel stopped being a joke again, and became the juggernaught we know for the last decade or so. I am not sure something like that could ever happen again.

Everything we use to do, was just kinda cannibalized into the main stream, when we did it, it was a taboo word - you never told a PC part company you overclocked something, or your warranty was done. Now, you can pay $40 and get insurance and a 1 time no hassle replacement on a CPU if you burn it up overclocking. It's all really weird, I liken it to how a old school real punk must feel - when they see green day on TV being called punk, and avril lavigne being called a "pop punk princess".

Maybe those days when a new OC would attract 10,000 casual people looking for the crazy knowledge you can find around here. Maybe now, overclocking to alot of people is just enable XMP, up the multiplier, buy an AIO watercooler, and brag to your friends how awsome your RBG makes your computer super adorable, like a rainbow colored rave in your bedroom.

But some of us still lurk around, decompiling a driver or modding a bios because "there's no ing way a 5700 is just a bios locked 5700 xt and I am not gonna wander WTF, and how can I with that".

There arent many of us left, maybe now Overclocking is just a cute extra feature for some kid to brag about to his friends in CS:GO how he gets 900 FPS with freesync, and his pre-overclocked PC.

But we are out there, still tinkering.... and we didnt need cute lights on a fan as a reason to open up our PC.

Maybe those days are gone, but some of us, are still out there.

I know Bowman's up to something, OPPainter is tinkering, Mr.Icee giving out life advice, JCViggen, Macci, Hiwayman, all of them.
    Some never needed an audience, or youtube channel to OC, because it was just fun to break hardware and make it do something it was never meant to do.
    Last edited by Kunaak; 07-11-2019 at 06:37 AM.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak View Post

Some never needed an audience, or youtube channel to OC, because it was just fun to break hardware and make it do something it was never meant to do.
    These utube clockers can't clock if their life depended on it.

Thuban and Sandy Bridge was the peak for the community, These chips are great still,4ghz+ gave us massive gains,Some chips are 4.5/5ghz stable aswell.

Compared to ocing Ryzen9 or corei9,there is nothing exciting to see.

Ryzen9 should really be reaching for 5ghz+,a 7ghz thuban might take it

I would love a RoboClocker

Now if your not using 16cores or more Xtreme cooling doesn't yield enough to warrant its cost.

Getting playable frames @ 16k is going to be the new agenda. As long as the 0.1% is above 40 frames your good for single player.

Remember Fear Benchmark

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think I first came here to learn how to overclock my FX-53/Socket 939. Good times!

Oh shoot it's in my sig lol!
    New rig: INWIN D-Frame, i7 4770k @ 4.7 Ghz/1.38V, Swiftech H220, MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming, Team Vulcan DDR3 1600, 9-9-9-24, Samsung 840 pro 256GB, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair 850W
    Old rig:Antec 900/GIGABYTE GA-X38T-DQ6
    E6750 @ 3.5 GHz/Thermalright 120 extreme/MX2
    CORSAIR Vengance 8GB
    PNY 8800GT/Thermalright HR-03 GT

Old, old rig: FX-53/GIGABYTE K8NSNXP-939 nForce3 Ultra/1GB CORSAIR 3200XLPRO
    X800XTPE/WD 74GB Raptor/250GB Caviar

What happened to Saaya? He was great with Cellshock then at froxconn where he made an OC line for them.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    I agree Kunaak. I've been lurking around here for years. I don't as much since the site had all the issues, but its working back into my surfing flow. I'm just as addicted to computer hardware as I was 25 years ago, but it has changed. Like you said, we used to be on the fringes, now everyone does it. But I'll be lurking around till I'm gone. Just love the PC hardware!

Xtreme Addict
    AMD is BACK, Hopefully that will bring Xtreme Back.
    We had THE BEST, BY FAR, Forum back then IMO.
    Zen2 Has brought AMD back!

Xtreme Member
    True, AMD is very much throwing up some good results at the moment!
    Maybe my next update will be to AMD again, I'm half hoping that they can beat out intel even more dominantly in games and i'll be sold!

Although, I am planning to go microATX on my next build and I've not seen any boards that size for their new CPUs yet.
    I'm tired of people saying how big my box is at the moment :*(
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro
    So why is it customary to post specs in sigs anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by SADS View Post
    True, AMD is very much throwing up some good results at the moment!
    Maybe my next update will be to AMD again, I'm half hoping that they can beat out intel even more dominantly in games and i'll be sold!

Although, I am planning to go microATX on my next build and I've not seen any boards that size for their new CPUs yet.
    I'm tired of people saying how big my box is at the moment :*(
    Micro ATX seams dead, mini DTX seams like the way to go now.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Member
    Mini, micro, DTX.... These drive me crazy! especially how micro was bigger than mini!

either way....something smaller XD
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak View Post
    I think the problem is just the evolution of hardware.

when we first started, we had to take absolute garbage boards, and do crazy things, like completely remove every cap on the board and find some random guy that could speak japanese, to get us caps that wouldnt explode when we did some crazy OC.
    Now, you can find anything, the most obscure items imaginable, are just a click away on Ebay, or Amazon.

We had to dig through schematics, that just kinda "showed up" and research where and how to volt mod something. Now you want more power? Go into Bios, set it to enough voltage to melt your desk if you want... the options there.
    Everything we use to do, is now just on the board - sure, you now pay $700 for a board, and 75% of the features are worthless, but you want 16 phase digital VRMs?Enough voltage then you will ever need? caps that wont explode? It's on the board - just pay extra now. So all the engineers, and super specialized people who just kinda hung around and were experts at 2-3 things, they just dont have much to do now I guess.

Remember when intel was getting destroyed by the AMD64 - then one day, a few people from japan posted some obscure screen shots from a CPU no one recognized - the Merom core, and it was Intel, and it was some how just obliterating the AMD64? Yet, we didnt really know what the Merom core was yet.... but with 10,000 curious people, we knew the next day, and then for months we had Asus selling us laptop / desktop custom CPU adaptors - and when they were no where to be found, some how Saaya knew a guy in like germany - that had a small stash of them, and sourced them to us as much as he could, and then Intel just dropped a atom bomb on us, when they released the Conroe - and since then, Intel stopped being a joke again, and became the juggernaught we know for the last decade or so. I am not sure something like that could ever happen again.

Everything we use to do, was just kinda cannibalized into the main stream, when we did it, it was a taboo word - you never told a PC part company you overclocked something, or your warranty was done. Now, you can pay $40 and get insurance and a 1 time no hassle replacement on a CPU if you burn it up overclocking. It's all really weird, I liken it to how a old school real punk must feel - when they see green day on TV being called punk, and avril lavigne being called a "pop punk princess".

Maybe those days when a new OC would attract 10,000 casual people looking for the crazy knowledge you can find around here. Maybe now, overclocking to alot of people is just enable XMP, up the multiplier, buy an AIO watercooler, and brag to your friends how awsome your RBG makes your computer super adorable, like a rainbow colored rave in your bedroom.

But some of us still lurk around, decompiling a driver or modding a bios because "there's no ing way a 5700 is just a bios locked 5700 xt and I am not gonna wander WTF, and how can I with that".

There arent many of us left, maybe now Overclocking is just a cute extra feature for some kid to brag about to his friends in CS:GO how he gets 900 FPS with freesync, and his pre-overclocked PC.

But we are out there, still tinkering.... and we didnt need cute lights on a fan as a reason to open up our PC.

Maybe those days are gone, but some of us, are still out there.

I know Bowman's up to something, OPPainter is tinkering, Mr.Icee giving out life advice, JCViggen, Macci, Hiwayman, all of them.
    Pretty much true.
    Then, performance is now good even without any OC, I hardly do it anymore because its just not really noticeable on most games and applications, if it is I consider power costs and how much it will heat my room up. I also just got tired of CPU's degrading over time and out of the blue I start getting blue screens on my main rig on a day I have a ton of important stuff to do... yeah I used to run SS Phase on my everyday rig, not anymore.

I did build a lot of rigs for HFT guys, water cooled servers YEAH. They still use the ones I built even tho they are several years old now. 3960x's still have a bunch of performance left in them at 4.8GHz.

Now its just go into your ASUS BIOS and hit OC level 1,2,3... save and restart and your good.

Xtreme Member
    I tend to agree. Back in the day, the performance was really conservative in stock hardware and the stock cooling was generally small.
    People couple actually go mad with adding cooling to get their machine quieter or cooler and push the hardware further.

I think now, the hardware is released with a lot less headroom so the gains aren't as exciting as they used to be.
    I was never a super super OCer, but always squeezed what i could reasonably. It used to be that I could get 10-30% extra from my kit. But now it almost feels like there's barely 10-15% to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by SADS View Post
    I tend to agree. Back in the day, the performance was really conservative in stock hardware and the stock cooling was generally small.
    People couple actually go mad with adding cooling to get their machine quieter or cooler and push the hardware further.

I think now, the hardware is released with a lot less headroom so the gains aren't as exciting as they used to be.
    I was never a super super OCer, but always squeezed what i could reasonably. It used to be that I could get 10-30% extra from my kit. But now it almost feels like there's barely 10-15% to be had.
    If you get into what is technically overclocking there are bigger gains than 10-15. All core frequencies and things that fix turbo have big gains on intel, and overclocked ram/mesh is way more than that with amd. You can use multicore enhancement or ram profiles it will do that for you tho.

XIP
    Overclocking always fun regardless of hardwares. It was fun with AMD FX57 on single stage @ -30C (colder and cold bug will take over) and It is so much fun with Ryzen 3800X

There is no other site like XS where overclocking needs no rank, league, extreem and rookie! Just overclock and have fun
    Last edited by Dumo; 07-27-2019 at 06:15 PM.

wish this system was half decent at OC'ing, seriously hate how bad this machine is... have to close FF every so often just due to the amount of damn memory being used... gods i need a new machine

There are wonderful memories. I agree with what Kunaak and Buckeye have written above.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by chessman View Post
    There are wonderful memories. I agree with what Kunaak and Buckeye have written above.
    I miss running to RadioShack to get some pots for a voltmod. Nowadays, it's so uninvolved that anybody can OC. Click, click, done
    ASUS Maximus VI Hero
    Intel 4770K Delidded @ 4.7GHz
    Swiftech DDC w/Petras Top
    EK Supremacy Direct to Die/MCW80 GPU
    XSPC 120.4
    2x8GB G.Skill
    MSI 6950 2GB 975/1400
    Samsung 830 2x128GB RAID0/WD 2x3TB RAID1
    Corsair 800D with AX850W PSU
    Dell U3011 30" LCD

I am Xtreme
    just posting cause I miss the good ol' days of s478, s939, and sossaman + Movieman/Dave
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Things can never remain the same. If anything tries, it becomes stagnate and die off.
    While i get the feelings of loss and the way things used to be, but its better to grow. The hard part is growing with it.

But then again, it is me talking...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hey everyone! This was a nice thread to read through, especially seeing familiar names and the poignant thoughts on how overclocking has evolved since the early days of XS

I joined XS when I was 13 and just getting into computers (I'm 29 now), and the years reading and posting here allowed me to not only develop expertise in electronics (and the associated physics and chemistry topics), but more importantly taught me how to quickly learn a topic in-depth: find where the experts are, and be like a sponge. Beyond XS, I've used this same approach to develop expertise in audio and video (Head-Fi and AVS), travel hacking (FlyerTalk), nutrition (mostly books and podcasts), data analytics, and just general research and problem solving.

Because of XS, electronics have been a huge part of my life: I got experience running my own mini computer repair business as a teenager (and made pretty decent money!), my first job was IT for the government in high school, I will always have an engineering and DIY mindset, I'm an audiophile and videophile (the sane version ), computer wizardry has been integral to my success in management consulting (Excel, PowerPoint, and Tableau), I interned in iPhone manufacturing/supply chain a couple years back, and I'll very likely spend a significant portion of my career in electronics of some sort. XS really was the start of this all, and allowed my interest to flourish.

Some highlights for me:
    • Using a pencil to change the multiplier (?) on old AMD chips, and to increase voltage
    • Athlon, NF7-S, and BH-5 days
    • Finding *the* right CPU steppings and getting nearly 100% overclocks
    • Many memories alt tabbing between XS and CS 1.6 or Ut2K4
    • An XS member giving me a tour of UMichigan when I was applying to colleges
    • Dave/Movieman offering some very helpful and kind words when 17 year-old me was having a rough time

Cheers!
    Last edited by Kobalt; 08-08-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    3570K ● Asus V Gene ● 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 ● EVGA 660 Ti SC ● Seasonic X750 ● 128GB Samsung 830 SSD & External 1TB RAID1

SupremeFX SPDIF -> MHDT Constantine DAC -> Darkvoice 336i Tube Amplifier -> AKG K701

Xtreme Member
    To be honest, I was reading about how the new AMD chips can be decoupled from the memory frequency and are very dependant on memory performance.

This takes me straight back to NF2 boards and DDR2... Maybe we will see a resurgence in tweakers!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    What happened to Saaya? He was great with Cellshock then at froxconn where he made an OC line for them.
    Wat up peeps!!

Time for aother post down memory lane

Yeah, whatever happened to saaya ?? We do/have seen most of the hardcore here and there, but saaya, that is one name I havnt seen in years.

Saaya, where you at? Hope all is well.

Also got caught out, as many of the avatars that were associated with member names are no longer appearing, so takes a extra micro second to associate names we have not seen for a long time with their 'characters'

Last edited by mongoled; 08-15-2019 at 12:35 AM.
    Seasonic Prime TX-850 Platinum | MSI X570 MEG Unify | Ryzen 5 5800X 2048SUS, TechN AM4 1/2" ID
    32GB Viper Steel 4400, EK Monarch @3733/1866, 1.64v - 13-14-14-14-28-42-224-16-1T-56-0-0
    WD SN850 1TB | Zotac Twin Edge 3070 @2055/1905, Alphacool Eisblock
    2 x Aquacomputer D5 | Eisbecher Helix 250
    EK-CoolStream XE 360 | Thermochill PA120.3 | 6 x Arctic P12

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast