Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: It was a good run

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by thesaucier View Post
    Yep. Its kinda all done for you now.
    Tuning the systems is what its all about anyway

Uncore and Memory Timings leaves a lot to tweak , then max all core

I don't believe there will be a maximum overclock (crysis voice) button, too many diff configs

The more cores you have the more xtreme the cooling will have to be (intel 28core demo)

5Ghz 24/7 16c or more please

My favorite was the Celeron 533A that I had. It was a new Coppermine based model. It overclocked from 533 MHz to about 920 MHz, and this was at a time before we had any commercially available processors clocked that high.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Mentor
    My favorite was athlon 1700+. That cpu was an oc monster.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Cyrix M II, hands down the best CPU ever ( and an OC monster )
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Guess it's time post - my last post was April, 2008 LoL

I should update my sig too.

Basically, this is the same machine, but I'm running a Peppermint Linux OS 7 Xenial/Cosmic Cowboy build (32bit Linux 4.18 Kernel), dual-booted (now get this) with the same Windows 2K Pro install.

Some things don't change much, eh what?
    Case: Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203, Black, 3 Window
    PSU: Ultra X-Connect XVS 600-Watt with Modular Cabling
    OS: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (Service Pack 4)
    Mobo: DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev. B1 (Canterwood i875P)
    RAM: 1024 MB of Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 / DDR-500
    Processor: Intel ® Pentium 4EE (Gallatin) 478 Pin OC @ 3825MHz
    GFX Card: XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PVT73AUDF3) Nvidia GeForce™
    Storage: Dual WD800JB 80 GB SATA Striped Array @ 7200 RPMS
    Originally posted by zig3695
    creepily i think there is always some truth behind vindsl's comments, sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Guess it's time post - my last post was April, 2008 LoL

I should update my sig too.

Basically, this is the same machine, but I'm running a Peppermint Linux OS 7 Xenial/Cosmic Cowboy build (32bit Linux 4.18 Kernel), dual-booted (now get this) with the same Windows 2K Pro install.

Some things don't change much, eh what?
    What browser? What version of DirectX?

You probably have dot matrix printer and get a kick out of generating ASCII art!

I used to dual boot Debian full GCC and 98SE with Visual Studio 6 on a 166 Mhz Pentium with 16 MB RAM, 400 MB HDD, wrote in VC++ and checked platform compatibility with *NIX with GCC! Work had W2K, I jumped to XP later, remember turning off the eye candy in XP to make it faster!
    Last edited by xytrius; 09-17-2018 at 02:52 AM.

Very special thanks to everyone who has helped me here.

The generosity and kindness of XS is overwhelming. Thank you so much, thank you to all who gave me stuff at the FS section (what a place that was, a treasure!).
    Thank you, I still remember:
    bt_medic04, that Soyo MB for $10, it was selling for over $150, how could you?
    Lowtcell, that 2200+ proc for $5, the shipping was $10, damn you!
    ZL1Killa, my first smartphone, DroidX (all accessories, + extra-long battery, phone case), $50 for a $500 phone; may you roast in hell!

This place was a wealth of knowledge. Maxxracer pretty much taught me WC (he was the best WC guy, bar none). I was fascinated by FUGGER hosting XS on a Mac Server (massive traffic back then, thousands and thousands in the intel section and LN2/Water), he was also the first to switch procs on a Mac, anywhere. Before FUGGER changed his name, he was substance and guile. All the editors for those gay forums like Toms and Anandtech came HERE for info. Those were the days!

EDIT: How could I have forgotten hipro and the DDR booster?! Two LANParty boards you helped me fry, hipro! People were engineers back in the day, people of substance!
    Last edited by xytrius; 09-17-2018 at 04:26 AM.

I thought I'd lose my cherry with my response to this thread. I started lurking in the forums in 2003/2004 and I was inspired to pick up an Asetek Vapochill LS and I never looked back. I liked AnandTech for reviews and would occasionally hit Toms Hardware but I thought that this was the definitive place and bleeding edge for overclocking. This was the place to look for overclocking databases for any chip lot numbers and was very active. Between 2012 and 2016 I disappeared and it looks like something has happened in the last six years and I am wondering why. Is it the relative ease at which systems can now be overclocked? Is it that "extreme" overclocks are not yielding the "worthwhile" performance gains over the cookie cutter main stream efforts? Is it that overclocking itself has become main stream and has caused a diffusion of overclocking "sources"? I would still think that "extreme" overclocking would still be sought after because it is the act of squeezing every drop of performance from their systems, much like racing enthusiasts.

I was looking to find a phase change build for a single stage phase cooler and didn't want to turn to Little Devil so I contacted under-the-ice.com and the owner Ron said they no longer offer their phase builds any longer. Ron was a prominent poster in this community. I asked if he had any leads and he never responded. I posted on different sites looking for builders and it went nowhere. I was able to score an old custom single stage from a guy in Pennsylvania who had Sdumper build him one. I reached out to Sdumper in 2012 and he never responded to me. I am still interested in a new build. Maybe someone here can give me a lead. I am curious like others as to what has caused the drop in the active community here and would be interested in all of your comments.

Xtreme Addict
    Pentium II era was my starting point. that huge cpu were looking amazing... starting to love the hardware from that point. yep 486 was the initial starting step into pc.

And then ddr2 fun time when teamxtreem was one of the nice sticks for overclocking. just to cool those HS was challenge when it can reach almost double of its rated speed... oh and what a joy when you achieve higher freq.
    Last edited by xpower; 09-24-2018 at 08:57 AM.
    [FSB<>BCLK]
    3930k@4.3Ghz 1.30v HT On 24/7 Full load Linx stable/Lapped~Strix 6600xt~970evo~Gt110
    R4Gene Modded Bios~Corsair 2x8Gb@2.4Ghz 1.65v C11~AX1200i
    SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH

Xtreme Addict
    Since everyone is going off into stories..

My 1st oc was the 486.
    One of the overdrive cpu's.
    I had an sx2 and a dx2, I think I even had a dx4..

Anyways they would flake out after so many months.
    There heatsink was tiny after all, built in the cpu package, no fan.
    After they would flake out i would play with them, toss them around, even would try playing hacky sack with it, whatever.
    Pins would get all bent up, most of the time a good pair of needle nose pliers wold fix that right up.

One day, I broke a pin of one of them bending it back, live and learn.
    Stuck it in for the heck of it, and it was a speed grade higher then normal, I'm pretty sure it was 66mhz instead of 50.
    Ages ago, an ibm ps1.

2nd exp was the pentium 1, the board i had had multipliers and bus speed jumpers.
    Wouldn't use the mmx chip though, found an identical one at a time that could, yellow/or tan? tantalum caps instead of black was the only physical diff I could see.

3rd exp, the nvidia tnt1, loved that card, had to trade it for a working hd though (I was stupid and took them apart, eventually ruined the 1st 2 sect's and it screws them)
    Stock whatever it was, either 90 or 120mhz, to a max of 0xFF in hex, 255mhz, np with just a reasonable 80mm fan on it.

4th, crappy amd k6-2 450mhz, not as good as I thought they would be.
    Ibm sold out and put in an acer? board I think it was.
    Oddly enough i went with an aopen athlon 1.6ghz, 333mhz mem, next, ok'ish.
    Not an overclocker, the corsair ram I got was not much of an overclocker either in the end, never did run in spec, even with the dfi lpb later...

Down to my fav, the dfi lpb.
    I have both the lpa and b, need new caps though.
    Spent a couple good years on that, and learned some stuff like how to break things in (not quite applicable as it was, or really anymore).
    Did alot of bios modding and learned more asm those days.

I ended up smashing my 1st board lpb, and the nf4 sli-dr or whatever it was called.
    That 939 setup was bs.
    That board had issues.
    Had a china board, the Taiwan board didn't have the same issue whatever it was, but it had some other issue (buddy had one).
    Just a crap gen, maybe the venus was better.

The dfi nf3 was really flakey.
    That thing needed alot of bios work.
    I had my hands on one for a day or 2.

After that, downgraded to a via chipset again, athlon.
    Modded the bios lol, did some crazy modding of the sip from my lpb bios, replaced some caps.
    Did a stupid experiment and yanked my ram out while it was on (I was trying hot swap ability in win2003 after enabling it), the board didn't like that lol, what I assume was the + voltage pin or maybe a ground got stuck to the ram pulling it out, slot dead.
    It was random samsung or micron ddr1.
    My 1st pair that did 560mhz stable were gone with the lpb and 939.
    Anyways I had to do those mods to get it to play avi files stable :\, biostar board.

Eventually moved up to a 754 abit, then the last dfi I owned was a ddr2 amd, whatever it was called, it was a lp and had the digital pwm.
    Crappy pwm at that, overheated like a mofo.
    Absolutely required active cooling with the last of it's cpu's it could support.

Then the asus, the ch4 with it's screwed out heatsink mounting that needs redone off and on (never really that 100%, always 99% stable).
    After that the board I got in my sig, the intel 4930k.

The dfi ddr2 board with problematic pwm, sold to cousin, he blew it out in a day or 2.
    The abit 754, sold to someone else for $200 as a complete system, never got paid for.
    The aopen kt333?, blew out after a few days after selling to a buddy, he got the cheapest psu he could.., I didn't really get what happened other then a cheap psu, now I know a bit more (obviously cheap psu, but also cheap caps on mobo).

The lpb I got now is a donation, the lpa I got for $40 or something.
    I've got 2 mobile cpu's, the 2nd was a low watt one but not as good as the 1st, it was around $20, not a big deal for a good cpu.
    I've got a couple diff sticks.
    Don't know off hand but, at least 3x 256 bh-5, and some 512 winbond, and some 512 samsung I think.
    I wish I had some good 256 samsung, I guess..
    Never did finish that bios, in 2 ways.
    The romsip, needed it working again at 280+ 1:1.
    And sata rom, I borked and it was never running, I didn't notice until the very end and never got around to figuring it out what I did to screw up loading that.

Both need caps, probably need a new spare psu anyways, eventually when I replace my main psu, I'll use it as a spare for something.

And that's about it, other then some more vga card stuff (bios modding.., the generic oc'ing with the biggest heatsinks I could find isn't too exciting), and some more details of the lpb stuff, like spd modding.
    Long post, I know... ^^

Personally waiting for 5ghz 16t (or 32t) like someone said above (undervolted), would prefer an inch over like 5.2 - 5.4ghz.

Oh and I should say probably 2 more things...
    Didn't need a ddrbooster in the lpb, or maybe the lpa as well, a #2 pencil would get you just shy of your 5v rail.
    Real easy mod, single resister.

As for the forums dieing off and why.
    I think it's down to amd tbh.
    Not to play the blame game, I think by next gen they'll be caught up..
    Those fx chips weren't that exciting imo, never had one, but to me it was a whole generation of whatever.
    And I think that attributed to it, that was my impression.

Though I see overclock.net and so are still popular...
    So I can't quite say what the actual deal is.

I can tell you one thing, I'm not to fond of this stupid light fad.. ^^
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 09-23-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    There is still some people ...

Just they read and don't post many. I read news forum not daily but almost.

The fact smartphones are now everywhere, it changed internet uses and users. Forum is not very well suited for smartphones.

Since them I boot my computer less. And I am a computer addict

I will keep posting until the purge

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by madcho View Post
    There is still some people ...

Just they read and don't post many. I read news forum not daily but almost.

The fact smartphones are now everywhere, it changed internet uses and users. Forum is not very well suited for smartphones.

Since them I boot my computer less. And I am a computer addict

I will keep posting until the purge
    So lets start a Whatsapp group ? We can try and tihs may lead to different opportunities.

If anybody wants to try I can give my number or tell me your number I will start it.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Cruncher
    The place I hung out before this place died, now IDK what I'll do.............I guess I hang out at reddit a bit. I want to hit Half a Billion crunching points first, then I'll look for a new team I guess..........or maybe I'll be the only crunching some day..
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

The Newer generation is a new breed... not so interested in custom Pc's....
    I also think cost has allot to do with it especially considering the price of top of line hardware these days....
    Real life also changes things, XS still has a wealth of knowledge and I always check in from time to time

NREMT-I
    to the old timers here might remember me, I started my external watercoolers from this site called the "waterkeg" I learned so much from the members here and owe just about all my knowledge from this forum.. this used to be the most pristine forum on the interwebs in its day..... great community, great people. God, to only go back to my oc'ing days with my "Chilly1" phase changer and fx55/57 3.0ghz + days were so costly and FUN! Never want to see this forum go away....
    Nothing anymore

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    The place I hung out before this place died, now IDK what I'll do.............I guess I hang out at reddit a bit. I want to hit Half a Billion crunching points first, then I'll look for a new team I guess..........or maybe I'll be the only crunching some day..
    Team XS is still alive! No need to switch. PM sent.
    24/7 Cruncher #1
    Crosshair VII Hero, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO, 4x8GB GSKILL 3600MHz C15, ASUS TUF 3090 OC
    Samsung 980 1TB NVMe, Samsung 870 QVO 1TB, 2x10TB WD Red RAID1, Win 10 Pro, Enthoo Luxe TG, EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2

24/7 Cruncher #2
    ASRock X470 Taichi, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 AIO, 2x16GB GSKILL NEO 3600MHz C16, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
    Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe, Samsung 870 EVO 500GBWin 10 Ent, Enthoo Pro, Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W

24/7 Cruncher #3
    GA-P67A-UD4-B3 BIOS F8 mod, 2600k (L051B138) @ 4.5 GHz, 1.260v full load, Arctic Liquid 120, (Boots Win @ 5.6 GHz per Massman binning)
    Samsung Green 4x4GB @2133 C10, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Hybrid, Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Rosewill Rise, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2

24/7 Cruncher #4 ... Crucial M225 64GB SSD Donated to Endurance Testing (Died at 968 TB of writes...no that is not a typo!)
    GA-EP45T-UD3LR BIOS F10 modded, Q6600 G0 VID 1.212 (L731B536), 3.6 GHz 9x400 @ 1.312v full load, Zerotherm Zen FZ120
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR3-1600MHz C7, Gigabyte 7950 @1200/1250, Crucial MX100 128GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Centurion 590, XFX PRO650W

Music System
    SB Server->SB Touch w/Android Tablet as a remote->Denon AVR-X3300W->JBL Studio Series Floorstanding Speakers, JBL LS Center, 2x SVS SB-2000 Subs

Quote Originally Posted by newls1 View Post
    to the old timers here might remember me, I started my external watercoolers from this site called the "waterkeg" I learned so much from the members here and owe just about all my knowledge from this forum.. this used to be the most pristine forum on the interwebs in its day..... great community, great people. God, to only go back to my oc'ing days with my "Chilly1" phase changer and fx55/57 3.0ghz + days were so costly and FUN! Never want to see this forum go away....
    I remember! The watercooling section was hopping for a good while.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    its not dead it just need to be revamped. things have evolved and should the forum.

Thanks Rusty

I am open for ideas, I am looking at upgrading vb again.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Nerdy Powerlifter
    I miss the old layout. I can't say I dig the new one. Anything that can make this place easier to read is more than ok in my book!

I'm glad all of you guys are still here.
    Maybe I'll do a new build w/ a clear case & cold cathode ray tubes, just to feel nostalgic, lol.

Xtreme Member
    Hi Charles,
    perhaps some forums need to be archived /retire. As silly as it is, the trend of these days is simplicity. So less forums is good. VB theme needs to be changed, i.e. ( https://themeforest.net/item/quarto-...-theme/8927184 ).
    Last edited by rusty; 10-05-2018 at 08:20 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I also liked the older theme better then the new one tbh...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    One thing I don't like is certain sub forums doesn't show all threads, I fixed this for myself tonight by going into Settings >> General Settings >> Default Thread Age Cut Off: Show all threads

Maybe just me, but I would rather have them all shown by default, I guess many lurkers won't suss it out, I'm not sure how it effects guests?
    Last edited by Nelly; 10-15-2018 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Bolded setting headings
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB @ 1784/4004MHz Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 830 256GB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Fractal Design Define S Win 7/10 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Nelly View Post
    One thing I don't like is certain sub forums doesn't show all threads, I fixed this for myself tonight by going into Settings >> General Settings >> Default Thread Age Cut Off: Show all threads

Maybe just me, but I would rather have them all shown by default, I guess many lurkers won't suss it out, I'm not sure how it effects guests?
    It definitely affected me, I like browsing the forum and looking at all the threads. Having older threads not there is a bad idea. Thank you for bringing this up, and also for the settings info, I did not know this.

Thanks for starting this thread dengyong! You have stirred things up!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast