Thread: GA-Z97X-UD7 TH - Board/Gfx does not seem to resume or cold boot anymore

Xtreme Member

Question GA-Z97X-UD7 TH - Board/Gfx does not seem to resume or cold boot anymore

Hi guys,

Been a long time since i posted here, but i was running into some issues with my system and was hoping you could help me out!
    I've been using this build for 2 years now and for about 6-8 months i've been running into the problem where the system no longer seems to boot and seems to get stuck in a boot-loop.
    I've contacted Gigabyte on this matter and they were pretty much clueless. They gave me a later BIOS version for the board (F7A) , but that never seemed to make a difference.

The problem is, that the machine does not seem to like it when i cold boot it, say every day (turn it off in the evening, then turn it on in the morning). It will show me the BIOS splash screen and after that it will cycle off/on the machine and get stuck in a boot-loop.
    What seems to work is when i take the power from the board completely and also take out the graphics card and wait for 30 seconds. Put everything back in, then the motherboard will boot up fine again.
    When it runs; I have no stability issues with the machine at all and it performs great. It's just that i'm scared to keep reproducing this finding out of fear it will stop booting altogether (so i just leave the machine running now ).
    When i try to use sleep mode i get similar complaints. PC powers on at resume, but there will be no picture and the screens will stay blank.

I guess all of this seems to point into the direction of the motherboard and its out of warranty too (just my luck).
    I've tried my luck on the Gigabyte forum where someone might have mentioned turning off fast boot since it might corrupt the BIOS or something. I tried this, no change in results unfortunately.
    Also, i've never OC'ed this system.

Anyone here that might know if this is a UEFI Boot or PCI-e power setting in the BIOS? Or is my board, somehow fried?

Specs:
    Intel Core i7 4770K
    Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
    Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer BLT8G31608DT2TXOBC (1600 MHz)
    Seasonic X-850 80+ Gold
    Intel 750 SSD PCIe 3.0 x4 400GB
    Gigabyte GV-N98TWF3-6GD (GTX980TI Windforce
    2 x Seagate ST4000VN000, 4TB

[Edit]
    Here's a link to the thread on the Gigabyte forum: https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=18102.0
    Last edited by Da_maniaC; 08-29-2018 at 11:11 PM.
    Da_maniaC's Rig (Eclipse) | Client / Server port for DooM!

Xtreme Addict
    Seems MB problem. just few recommendations. did it reboot fine within win? try different GPU, single ram and reset CMOS.
    [FSB<>BCLK]
    3930k@4.3Ghz 1.30v HT On 24/7 Full load Linx stable/Lapped~Strix 6600xt~970evo~Gt110
    R4Gene Modded Bios~Corsair 2x8Gb@2.4Ghz 1.65v C11~AX1200i
    SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xpower View Post
    Seems MB problem. just few recommendations. did it reboot fine within win? try different GPU, single ram and reset CMOS.
    When the system is up and running, i can reboot without problems from Windows yeah.

It's hard for me to test with a different GPU. The PC works fine on the i7 igp, but i don't have any other card at my disposal which has similar load to the GTX980TI (to be sure its not a load issue).
    Da_maniaC's Rig (Eclipse) | Client / Server port for DooM!