Thread: [News] Intel Core i9 8-core LGA1151 Processor Could Get Soldered IHS, Launch Date Rev

[News] Intel Core i9 8-core LGA1151 Processor Could Get Soldered IHS, Launch Date Rev

https://www.techpowerup.com/246251/i...-date-revealed

The fluid thermal interface material between the processor die and the IHS (integrated heatspreader) has been a particularly big complaint of PC enthusiasts in recent times, especially given that AMD has soldered IHS (believed to be more effective in heat-transfer), across its Ryzen processor line. We're getting reports of Intel planning to give at least its top-dog Core i9 "Whiskey Lake" 8-core socket LGA1151 processor a soldered IHS. The top three parts of this family have been detailed in our older article.

The first Core i9 "Whiskey Lake" SKU is the i9-9900K, an 8-core/16-thread chip clocked between 3.60~5.00 GHz, armed with 16 MB of L3 cache. The introduction of the Core i9 extension to the mainstream desktop segment could mean Intel is carving out a new price point for this platform that could be above the $300-350 price traditionally held by top Core i7 "K" SKUs from the previous generations. In related news, we are also hearing that the i9-9900K could be launched as early as 1st August, 2018. This explains why motherboard manufacturers are in such hurry to release BIOS updates for their current 300-series chipset motherboards.

I wounder if soldering a part like that is a good thing. Sure it will help stock, but it will still have the extra adhesive and perform worse than a direct die, or "loose" delid.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    i9 at stock TDP of 95w doesn't really need soldered ihs. don't know what intel thinks if they decided to do so.
    [FSB<>BCLK]
    3930k@4.3Ghz 1.30v HT On 24/7 Full load Linx stable/Lapped~Strix 6600xt~970evo~Gt110
    R4Gene Modded Bios~Corsair 2x8Gb@2.4Ghz 1.65v C11~AX1200i
    SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH

Administrator
    I thought you guys all wanted soldered IHS ??

I have seen so many complaints about the TIM used and many wanted them soldered.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post

I have seen so many complaints about the TIM used and many wanted them soldered.
    I think the main problem is the too much gap between die and ihs not the tim. Soldered with gap will be better than tim with gap but IMO OCers prefer tim with gap because it will be easier to solve this than the soldered one. And I prefer a socket like P4 and cooler options like zalman cnps 3100 which you can delid you cpu and just place your cooler to touch cpu die directly without any motherboard modification.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

I want no IHS, or a soldered IHS with a proper gap. What I fear with this is getting somehting like my 5930k with a bad overly tall IHS gap and solder. I dont want to delid my 5930k since it has solder, but it also has really bad thermals that even 5 fans of rad dont fix. Amd does fine with soldered IHS, and they have all of their CPU with soldered IHS.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 07-28-2018 at 02:29 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    All they really had to do was use 10 cent quality TIM instead of 5 cent...
    7820X | Asrock X299 Taichi XE | Gigabyte 1080 Ti Xtreme | 32GB Memoriez | Corsair HXi1000 | 500GB 960 Evo

Xtreme Member
    The information seems weird to me.

I thought that the i7's had hyperthreading and that the i9's were the quad chanel mega core counts?
    seems weird that you have to go i9 now to get the top GHZ and HT...
    I always like the i7 for games as it wasn't overkill on the cores and usually had the best clocks.
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro
    So why is it customary to post specs in sigs anyway?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by SADS View Post
    The information seems weird to me.

I thought that the i7's had hyperthreading and that the i9's were the quad chanel mega core counts?
    seems weird that you have to go i9 now to get the top GHZ and HT...
    I always like the i7 for games as it wasn't overkill on the cores and usually had the best clocks.
    Some of old i5 CPUs also had HT. But they were all 2 core 4 thread cpus. None of the 4 core i5 had HT. So this may be a hint of intel new core count target. Intel may have plans to make 16c main stream in a short time so maybe we will see 8c i7s with ht again when this happens.

Xtreme Member
    Your memory is better than mine it seems!
    I didn't think about the older gens too much.

That said, more cores might be nice, but I'm still not convinced that this will provide Average Joe with much real world benefits. I feel like single core performance is still key and that feels to have not made many strides in recent years.
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro
    So why is it customary to post specs in sigs anyway?

Administrator
    As I do not OC anymore (I have been using Xeons for a long time) I find soldered IHS to be perfectly fine.

The rig I do everything on now is a dual E5-2699 V3 system so they are not fast single core, but I find it makes little difference in real world stuff and even gaming.
    My main rig is based on ASUS Z10PE D16, ASUS Strix 1080 Ti, 480GB Optane etc.
    I setup ASUS Zenith Extreme Threadripper OC to 4GHz, ASUS Strix 1080
    Both run at 4K settings

I ran my usual games and found next to no difference is FPS and quality of game play.

I am sure there are some cases where high single core speeds make a dif but for general workloads and gaming it matters not in my experience. For gaming a good GPU makes more of an impact.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by SADS View Post
    Your memory is better than mine it seems!
    I didn't think about the older gens too much.

That said, more cores might be nice, but I'm still not convinced that this will provide Average Joe with much real world benefits. I feel like single core performance is still key and that feels to have not made many strides in recent years.
    My opinion is same too. This is a marketing war for more market share. As far as I understand AMD choose to open another front (which is core count) because they understand that they can't win at the same core number performance front. And these news are the Intel is making moves to counter AMD.

Xtreme Mentor
    As I do not OC anymore (I have been using Xeons for a long time) I find soldered IHS to be perfectly fine.

The rig I do everything on now is a dual E5-2699 V3 system so they are not fast single core, but I find it makes little difference in real world stuff and even gaming.
    My main rig is based on ASUS Z10PE D16, ASUS Strix 1080 Ti, 480GB Optane etc.
    I setup ASUS Zenith Extreme Threadripper OC to 4GHz, ASUS Strix 1080
    Both run at 4K settings

I ran my usual games and found next to no difference is FPS and quality of game play.

I am sure there are some cases where high single core speeds make a dif but for general workloads and gaming it matters not in my experience. For gaming a good GPU makes more of an impact.
    I have 8700k but I don't OC too.

I think like you too about the single core performance. Most of the recent CPUs have enough single core performance most of the people. Also core count has to be determined carefully if someone don't want to spend unnecessary money.

Unless you are doing LN2 or water, your build will not take more than a few hours; this includes all the gay time to do your cable management and prettying the case.

OC will take no more than an hour for you to get a stable speed. Just OC already, if you say you don’t OC, you are setting a bad example for the kids.