Thread: [News] Western Digital Shuts Down Hard Drive Factory - Just not Enough Demand

[News] Western Digital Shuts Down Hard Drive Factory - Just not Enough Demand

https://www.techpowerup.com/246080/w...-enough-demand

In response to declining long-term demand for client HDDs, Western Digital has taken steps to rationalize its HDD manufacturing operations globally. The company will decommission its HDD manufacturing facility in Petaling Jaya, Selangor, by the end of calendar 2019. This transition will be executed in close collaboration with employees, customers, supply partners and other critical stakeholders.

The data technology industry is undergoing substantial change. This market transformation is driving increased adoption of SSDs and NAND flash in traditional HDD applications. The change has contributed to growth in SSD/NAND flash and declining long-term demand for client HDDs. Consequently, Western Digital plans to expand SSD manufacturing in Penang. The company is in the final stages of commissioning its second SSD facility in Penang, which will go into production in the coming months.

So how is the storage market panning out? A big cash cow for me was installing/deploying/configuring business class IT infrastructure, large data was a part of it.
    Are we seeing an increased move of local volume storage offloaded to web storage?

Why bother with the infrastructure of storage and application installation when almost everything can be hosted? An [or any] OS seems to suffice. We don?t even seem to need installation of application software anymore, hosted Adobe applications, Oracle (or any SQL DB), QuickBooks, MS or Google Office applications - businesses can do just fine with good internet infrastructure and SSD computers, the local punk can take care of maintaining this; we don't need to rely much on on-site qualified techs. I also think that remote tech support from major companies like the ones I mentioned is good.

Even quality security video does not require local storage!

Oh well, I am old but still good with carpentry and woodwork!