Thread: [News] Intel Launches Xeon E Processors for Workstations

[News] Intel Launches Xeon E Processors for Workstations

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/in...ons,37451.html

Intel announced its new Xeon E processors for the low end of the workstation market. Intel targets the new processors, which come with up to six cores and 12 threads, for professional users, such as designers, content creators, and data scientists. Ultimately the new Xeon E lineup serves as a lower-cost and lower-performance variant of Intel?s Xeon W lineup.

Intel built the new processors with the same fundamental design as its Xeon Scalable processors. The Xeon E processors appear similar to Intel?s Coffee Lake desktop models, which are also available in SKUs that range from four cores and four threads up to six cores and 12 threads, but the Xeon E models feature the revamped Skylake-X/Xeon Scalable architecture and support up to 40 PCIe Gen 3.0 lanes. Intel splits the lanes between 16 lanes connected directly to the processor, and an additional 24 lanes hang off the C426 workstation-series chipset.

That is only like a $30 for ecc, not bad compared to the last couple gens.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Why would I buy an Intel 'lower-cost and lower-performance variant' as in being cheaper to buy when I can just buy Ryzen ??

Is it just because of the EEC DDR ? and core scaliability ?
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    EEC and I think Xeon silicon are binned higher than your standard PC chips. To a what degree I'm not sure.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    Why would I buy an Intel 'lower-cost and lower-performance variant' as in being cheaper to buy when I can just buy Ryzen ??

Is it just because of the EEC DDR ? and core scaliability ?
    They are the same as a 1151 consumer part but ecc, more testing/warranty, and they guarantee replacement parts longer.

Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    EEC and I think Xeon silicon are binned higher than your standard PC chips. To a what degree I'm not sure.
    The last few gens xeons are binned lower on 1151. They are more like failed mobile parts. They have too little leakage and get paired with low end parts normally so the tuning is weird.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 07-20-2018 at 11:57 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    I was seriously considering Xeon plus the new LGA1151 a few months ago but pricing does not compute compared to Ryzen 6 core 12 thread parts

Ended up with a 2600X + x470 which should speed up my lightroom processing compared to my trusty old 2500K that is still going strong
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's