Thread: [News] LG OLED TV burn-in woes evident at trade show

[News] LG OLED TV burn-in woes evident at trade show

http://hexus.net/ce/news/audio-visua...nt-trade-show/

OLED displays are desirable thanks to their deep blacks, excellent contrast, and the enabling of extremely thin and light and even flexible designs. However there are several known drawbacks too; production yields impact on cost, blue pixel life is said to be shorter, and there seems to be a greater potential for burn-in issues. It is that last issue that has been highlighted in recent months by reports of screen issues from owners of the Google Pixel 2 phones, and much more recently by observations of an LG OLED 65-inch TV on show at the SID Display Week 2018 in Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by StyM View Post
    Bummer.
    Is this honest-to-goodness display-crippling burn-in, or is this image retention that can be mitigated by pixel agitation -- like the old plasma display work-arounds?

Quote Originally Posted by AbortRetryFail? View Post
    Bummer.
    Is this honest-to-goodness display-crippling burn-in, or is this image retention that can be mitigated by pixel agitation -- like the old plasma display work-arounds?
    It is most likely burn in, but they also run those trade show versions at well over 800nits continuous when they are made for around 300-400. Store displays dont really do that if you turn them off at night. The way they run them at trade shows is illegal for power consumption standards so you would never run into it as a consumer, and you would never use OLED as a display board like they do at trade shows.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Monster
    People need to realize that oled tvs right now are a premium product for only 3 years and no more, most people ran these oled tvs like they did with their old non-oled tvs which means that most find out about what is burn-in only when it happens to them and then they complain about it.

Xtreme Addict
    Quantum-dot manufacturer emphasising weakness of competing technology shocker.

In my experience, my OLED is less prone to IR and burn in than my old Plasma was. So I see it as a manageable or acceptable limitation.

Of course, LCD does not have this problem, so it becomes a selling point versus OLED.

Both technologies have their own strengths and weaknesses, and even upcoming technologies such as Micro-Led also have their own downsides (pixel density and cost), so you just need to choose the display tech that fits your needs.