Thread: [News] Chinese DRAM Companies Stealing DRAM IP From Samsung and SK Hynix

[News] Chinese DRAM Companies Stealing DRAM IP From Samsung and SK Hynix

https://www.techpowerup.com/245790/c...g-and-sk-hynix

It's not just Micron, but also Korean DRAM giants Samsung and SK Hynix, that are the latest victims of large-scale industrial espionage by Chinese DRAM makers to steal vital DRAM intellectual property (IP), according to Korea Times. Today's DRAM makers build their products on IP acquired over decades, and that is time Chinese companies do not have, and aren't willing to license from established DRAM makers, either.

"Samsung Electronics and SK Hynix have become the target of industrial espionage by Chinese memory chip manufacturers. In semiconductors, patents are critical to the cost structure. The companies have to protect what they have spent decades building. The result is Chinese companies are attempting to infringe on Samsung and SK patents," said a Korean official involved in the investigation of IP theft.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I guess they're sick of the price gouging too.
    24/7 Cruncher #1
    Crosshair VII Hero, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO, 4x8GB GSKILL 3600MHz C15, ASUS TUF 3090 OC
    Samsung 980 1TB NVMe, Samsung 870 QVO 1TB, 2x10TB WD Red RAID1, Win 10 Pro, Enthoo Luxe TG, EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2

24/7 Cruncher #2
    ASRock X470 Taichi, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 AIO, 2x16GB GSKILL NEO 3600MHz C16, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
    Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe, Samsung 870 EVO 500GBWin 10 Ent, Enthoo Pro, Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W

24/7 Cruncher #3
    GA-P67A-UD4-B3 BIOS F8 mod, 2600k (L051B138) @ 4.5 GHz, 1.260v full load, Arctic Liquid 120, (Boots Win @ 5.6 GHz per Massman binning)
    Samsung Green 4x4GB @2133 C10, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Hybrid, Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Rosewill Rise, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2

24/7 Cruncher #4 ... Crucial M225 64GB SSD Donated to Endurance Testing (Died at 968 TB of writes...no that is not a typo!)
    GA-EP45T-UD3LR BIOS F10 modded, Q6600 G0 VID 1.212 (L731B536), 3.6 GHz 9x400 @ 1.312v full load, Zerotherm Zen FZ120
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR3-1600MHz C7, Gigabyte 7950 @1200/1250, Crucial MX100 128GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Centurion 590, XFX PRO650W

Music System
    SB Server->SB Touch w/Android Tablet as a remote->Denon AVR-X3300W->JBL Studio Series Floorstanding Speakers, JBL LS Center, 2x SVS SB-2000 Subs

For once I think I'm completely okay with it so long as Chinese companies start vomiting cheap DRAM all over the world market.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    If engineers don't get paid for their work, companies are going to reduce R&D budgets. New tech will arrive more and more slowly. It's not for nothing, some country banned chinese people from research centers, governement or in industry, and for decades !!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    On one hand thats bad.
    On the other hand, this cartel needs to be fixed somehow, and competition is always welcomed.
    There is this middleground between draining people and not getting enough to keep themselves well funded, and now we are not in this middleground.Also i dont think companies should get copyrights and patents for decades like now.Thats the reason people are actually dying from the lack of cheap medicine.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    On one hand thats bad.
    On the other hand, this cartel needs to be fixed somehow, and competition is always welcomed.
    There is this middleground between draining people and not getting enough to keep themselves well funded, and now we are not in this middleground.Also i dont think companies should get copyrights and patents for decades like now.Thats the reason people are actually dying from the lack of cheap medicine.
    Well said Sir, could not agree more.

Xtreme Addict
    I agree too. Cartels is just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by madcho View Post
    I agree too. Cartels is just as bad.
    After the consolidation 10 years ago and everything moving to cross licensing for IP it is not like anyone new could make modern memory if they wanted to. That is why they can keep doing that despite there being lots of fabs that could print bulk memory for embedded devices. Phone and computer stuff would not really be viable, but right now amd cannot even make their own HBM2 due to IP despite samsung building their fabs with the same base and printing similar integrated cache.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

I am Xtreme
    The current price for Dram is quite out of whack, when you think things usually tend to get cheaper when they get older, not more expensive.
    You pay 2-2,5x the price for DDR3 you payed 2 years ago, same for DDR4.

But thats not the first time that happened, when you look back to the range of 2012-2014 you had the same exact pattern.
    New players might shuffle that a bit up.

I am not really for stealing tech and I think IP is important, but protections for decades its another thing. Times are much faster now, companies make profits multiple the times of what they spent on R&D (for years), e.g. Hynix made a profit of 12 Billion USD in 2017, this already covered the R&D expenses for 2017 and the last 5 years of so (spending roughly 2 billion a year)

Its interesting people talk for ages to tackle IP laws, but they have stayed the same for ages.