Thread: Any X470 Gaming 7 owners around? This board has been nothing but trouble: beware.

Any X470 Gaming 7 owners around? This board has been nothing but trouble: beware.

Guys,

I really need some help to confirm whether this board causes all the several issues I'm having. It has been nothing but trouble at STOCK settings since I've bought it, and it's COUNTLESS MILES behind my 5y old G1 Sniper M3 Z77 from Gigabyte. This board looks like a slightly sophisticated brick in comparison.

1. Pure UEFI mode (CSM set to Disabled) is totally broken for me, at least with a Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Mini. If CSM is set to Disabled, the board SOFT BRICKS and can never finish POST again unless the DualBIOS recovery procedure is used. It doesn't even output video or light up the keyboard.
    2. The implementation of the Intel l211 NIC seems broken either in firmware/BIOS or hardware. TCP Checksum Offload is 100% broken (cannot be enabled at all) both in Windows 10 and Linux, and other features such as Receive-Side Scaling on Windows seem to depend on it.
    3. They removed something as BASIC as SATA AHCI hot-plug and individual drive control, meaning I can't individually enable/disable drives in BIOS. Windows and several Linux distros get totally confused when they detect more than 1 ESP and install their bootloader to the 1st one they find.

Regarding #2, please see https://communities.intel.com/message/547276#547276 and help me test if you can't enable TCP Checksum Offload at all? If the NIC is broken, I'm going to return this PITA and get anything else from ASUS or I don't know.

Gigabyte's support has been totally useless and deceptive regarding my reporting of all these issues, both in their official issue tracker and other places. I was able to reach out to Matthew on Reddit, but he said he'd check it out and then totally disappeared and ignored further communications. Worst support I've ever received.
    Last edited by loinad; 06-21-2018 at 05:18 PM.

I have this board, UEFI is fine for me, AMD XMP memory?
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wirth View Post
    I have this board, UEFI is fine for me, AMD XMP memory?
    Intel XMP (works flawlessly, have done 24 hours of Memtest+), and #1 and #2 are not affected by it in any way -- I've tested with JEDEC defaults as well.

Can you confirm both #1 and #2 are not issues on your end?

Regarding #3, I suggest everyone reads Anandtech's article about the current lack of free BIOS space in the boards from some manufactures (*cough* GIGABYTE *cough*):

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12971...n-motherboards

I've seen the specifications of X470 mobos from ASUS, ASROCK, and MSI, and everyone is using 256mb BIOS chips, except Gigabyte, which uses 128mb and seems to have countless of them in its inventory as per the article. I'm damn sure that's why they've removed such a basic feature. These guys are a complete joke nowadays.
    Last edited by loinad; 06-22-2018 at 06:38 PM.

UEFI works fine, I used Rufus to make my install media.

I have no problem with my NIC. Open command prompt and run "ipconfig /all" and look for the line "Physical Address", this address should not be 88.88.88.88.87.88, if this is the address shown you will need to reflash.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID