Thread: Sandberg Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker

Xtreme Reviewer

Sandberg Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker

Introduction

It is now June! This marks the start of summer and summer means outdoor activities, campfires, and just fun in the sun. What makes all of those things better? Great music of course! Bluetooth speakers make it quite easy to share great music with a group of people. There are so many Bluetooth speakers out there so it is really hard to choose which one is the right one for you. Whether you're getting yourself clean in a nice warm bath, driving across the country in a car gifted to you by your father upon your graduation, or floating along the pool of a tropical holiday resort with a drink in one hand , everything is better with music. To enjoy the strains of your favorite singer in such situations, you're going to have to get a portable Bluetooth speaker capable of connecting to your chosen device from long distances and resistant to water and drops. Enter the Sandberg Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker. Other great feature include a 5200 mAh power bank for charging devices. Let's see if the Sandberg Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker is the perfect Bluetooth speaker for summer!

The specifications are taken directly from the manufacturer homepage. They are valid at the time of the review, but they may be subject to changes in future revisions of the product.

Packaging & Contents

The Sandberg Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker comes in a nice retail box. On the front and sides there is a large photo of the unit and it lets us know that it is IPX7 waterproof.

At the rear of the box we see a description of the product printed in many languages.

In the box you'll get the speaker, a micro USB charging cable, a 3.5mm Aux cable and a quick start guide.

A Closer Look

The unit is black with some green highlights. It has an industrial look with visible screws holding everything together. For all of its talk of heavy duty materials and rugged design, the Sandberg Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker is surprisingly light to pick up. The size of the speaker may preclude carrying it around in a smaller backpack or shoulder bag, but the weight shouldn’t get in the way of taking it anywhere.

The speaker has rounded off edges that give it a smooth feel in the hand.

The tank-like armor around the frame is shockproof, making it able to withstand a good tumble, even on concrete, with no ill-effects. It is also IPX7 certified for water resistance, which will allow it to provide protection against a dunk in a pool or stream.

Underneath the aluminium front you can just barely see the waterproof fabric that keeps the dual 45mm drivers safe.

Sandberg logo down right middle gleam in a pleasing way.

On right side of the speaker is an mounting strap. The moutning strap will allow you to mount the speaker pretty much anywhere say on a bike, boat, or even the outside of a car! This alloy mounting point is very strong so you don’t have to worry about them failing.

Remove the cap, and you’ll find a micro USB port to charge your phone. You can charge your phone and still have plenty of juice left for music. Near it we can see the USB and AUX ports.

Up top you’ll find five buttons. From left to right the buttons control the power, volume down, pause/play/answer calls, volume up, and Bluetooth pairing. The buttons are nice and clicky. On the upper left hand edge are four small indicator lights. You won’t be left guessing how much battery life remains thanks to those four indicator lights.

There is a “extra bass” button that turns the bass boost on or off.

Tripod connection hole.

Performance

The speaker is basically ready to go as soon as you remove it. The battery is at least 30% and all you need to do is turn on the Bluetooth on your device. My Samsung Galaxy S9 picked it up immediately and the pairing took under ten seconds. While I was expecting the USB cable and the power adapter to be there, I really like the addition of the AUX cable. It adds a little versatility to the product, allowing you to connect it to other devices. As far as connection goes Sandberg claims this speaker has a range of 33 feet, and though it’s true I wouldn’t recommend relying on it for consistent playback. The connection was definitely strong enough even at about 27 feet with a wall in the way. Playback was smooth and enjoyable. At 27-33 feet playback was sputtering around once every 20 seconds which is still impressive. But it just isn’t consistent enough to use regularly at that range. As far as playback goes, you can easily control volume and pause/play music. Double tapping the play button will let you skip to the next track if you do it quick enough, but you won’t be able to return to a previous track or fast forward through songs. Of course, if you don’t want to use Bluetooth, or if you’re using a device that lacks Bluetooth functionality, you can plug directly into the speaker using the included 3.5mm audio cable.

Once I first started to play a song, I was amazed with the sound!!! it has the sound quality of a much more expensive speaker, and the bass is very good. If you did not see what the music was playing from, you would think that it was coming from something much larger. The volume goes up really loud, and does not seem to distort. We’re not talking about the muddy, overblown bass you get with some cheaper speakers. Here, the bass is tight, well defined, and pronounced. The sound quality seem to just warm the room. One thing we will mention, however, is that the “extra bass” feature is always ideal. I used it for about 8 hours before I charged it again. It still had battery power, but I don't typically like to completely drain a battery. So is the Sandberg Bluetooth Speaker truly waterproof? Yes it is! While in use we dropped it at the beach when it was on and we had no problem at all!

Final Thoughts

This speaker is designed to be used in harsh environments, the kind that would destroy a speaker produced by a competing brand. The Sandberg Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker is encased in heavy-duty rubber to protect its vital interior components against knocks and drops. I didn’t repeatedly throw this against the wall — does that make me a bad reviewer or a good homeowner? — but the Sandberg Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker will withstand a good fall. And that’s a test I did put it through. Despite its thick outer shell, the Sandberg Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker features a lightweight design and can be easily carried in your backpack or even in the palm of your hand without hassle. The strap on the speaker comes in very handy. If you’re searching for a portable Bluetooth speaker that you can use in the shower or by the pool, the Sandberg Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker should be high on your shopping list. As its name suggests, it boasts an IP67 waterproof rating and will continue to function normally even when plunged a full 3 feet underwater. Now, most companies like to greatly emphasize how long their devices will last, and consequently make all sorts of claims they can’t deliver on. But the Sandberg Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker really does play for 8 hours and much longer. We rocked out for multiple days and it still played strong. Eight hours of playtime is actually a conservative estimate, so this leaves plenty of excess juice to top off your devices. Color us impressed. Beyond just battery life, sound quality is incredible for its size. Crank the volume and the Sandberg Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker will deliver rich bass and clear highs. The Sandberg Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker also doubles as a speakerphone. When connected to a compatible Bluetooth phone, you can take calls using the built in mic. The speaker features controls for forward/back track, call answer, pause/play and power on/off. You can also use it as a portable charger for your tablets, smartphones, etc, which is an excellent bonus. It doesn't come with a wall charger to connect the included USB charging cable to, but it works with most tablet/phone wall charging mounts. The latest Bluetooth technology allows up to 33Ft. transmission range. If your device does not have Bluetooth, no problem, simply use the included 3.5mm cable.

The Price is $74, with 5 year warranty! With these features and quality you could pay $100 and still not get this level of quality. With its combination of ruggedness, good sound, and a large battery to last all day and top off your phone, the Sandberg Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker makes an excellent companion for the outdoors.

Last edited by testman78; 07-24-2018 at 11:18 PM.