Thread: Sandberg Outdoor Solar Powerbank 24000

Xtreme Reviewer

Sandberg Outdoor Solar Powerbank 24000

Introduction

Tired of consistent battery blackout for your devices? Carrying along a reliable solar power bank can deliver great support. With different types and categories of power banks available in the market, it has become quite a difficult task to pick out the perfect one for your needs. Solar power banks are effective and reliable as they feature efficient power backup technology which keeps you powered on the go. As it designed to be charged through both wall socket and solar energy, the battery power storage delivers quick charging for all types of devices. Solar power banks are suitable for people who are careless about charging and need a power backup in case of an emergency. Requiring a sufficient amount of sunlight to charge properly, solar power banks also need to be plugged into an electricity source to avail complete backup facility. Being a helpful device for travelers, it is engineered to store electricity backup for weeks. Most of the people don't know what is solar power bank. For those, It is device which convert solar energy to electrical energy and stored it in a battery. The battery has a circuit which controls the power flow obtained from the sun. In older days solar panels are huge but nowadays it becomes more compact. Nowadays solar power bank can easily fit into the pocket. This gadget is called solar power bank. Sandberg is one of those companies that seemingly make just about anything and everything when it comes to tech gadgets. They also have a line of solar chargers, but we think the Outdoor Solar Powerbank 24000 is one of the coolest. It's your typical high-capacity power bank, but with a solar panel across the top.

Specifications.

Packaging & Contents

The box is made of hard cardboard. The front fold open information flaps add a little extra weight as well. The box dont follow the typical Sandberg colour scheme that we've seen over the last couple years.

At the rear of the box we see a description of the product printed in many languages right above the contents and specifications lists.

With the front flap open you can now have a clear view of the Powerbank.

Supplied accessories include a premium braided USB-A to USB-C cable and a carabiner (for carrying the Powerbank not for climbing).

User guide guides the user on all aspects of using power bank.

A Closer Look

Right out of the box the Sandberg Outdoor Solar Powerbank 24000 looks like a high-tech tank of a device.The Sandberg Survivor's unique industrial design really appeals. This shell serves to make the Sandberg Outdoor Solar Powerbank 24000 resistant to an IP67 rating which means that not only will it keep out all the bad things for electronics that I just mentioned, but it can also be submersed in up to 1M of water and still come out ready to rock.

The solar panel included in the solar power bank has a conversion rate of 2.0W/400mAh.

The power bank has an overall dimension set to 180 x 89 x 30 mm weighing about 553g. This thing is thick (just over an inch) and not the lightest either, but that's all implied. What really matters in this case is that it feels the part, and it most definitely does. Super tough hard plastic surrounds the power bank from every corner. And I appreciate that Sandberg didn't just make it a simple brick.There's plenty of rugged styling.

A shock-absorbing layer of silicone covers the battery for drop protection. If that wasn't enough, there's these substantial metal screws about the edges. And you bet this thing feels as tough as it looks.

There is an LED power indicator light near the power button that shows you how much charge the battery has left.

Each LED shows 25% power level.

The unit also features a LED flashlight which delivers best support in emergency situations. Furthermore, it coupled with a retractable hanging ring.

Sandberg's Outdoor Solar Powerbank 24000 provides you with two smart USB output ports(three in total). This allows you to charge two devices at one time. Port 1 is a 5V/2A while port 2 is a V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A port.

Speedier Recharge with Dual Inputs: Connect both Micro USB & USB-C ports simultaneously and refill the solar panel charger even faster. Port 1 has a USB-C output: 5V/3A port.

The IP67 rating means that it can be submerged in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. But you need to make sure that the charging ports are sealed shut. On the top, there's a waterproof lid you have to release before you can charge up.

Performance

In order to avail best output facility, it is recommended that you properly charge the device at first for about 8 hours. The device has been tested many times and has been found to have a crazy charging capability. For example, it has the capacity to charge the Iphone 8 up to 9.3 times, the Galaxy S8 up to 5.6 times and an iPad Mini 4 to 3.3 times(on Wall charging). I was able to charge an iPhone and iPad at the same time. If you're recharging it through ONLY the solar panels then it can take up to 16 hours for the power bank to fully recharge.

As part of my testing, I would leave the power bank out directly in the sun each day from around 9 AM -5 PM each day during late April. I found that the solar charging WILL make a slight improvement in the overall charge of the battery pack compared to being left in the dark, but realize the solar cells are really only designed for emergency use only, or maybe as a trickle charge to keep the unit fully charged when not in daily use - but NOT as a primary means of charging the unit. To give an example of my test results, I discharged the power pack from a full charge down to just the point the 4th led light began to blink out, meaning the unit still had about a 75% charge. I left it out in direct mid-day sun for 3 hours, after which the 4th led was solidly on again due to the solar charging. I then plugged it into my phone (2610mAh total capacity) and let it charge up until that 4th light on the battery pack again just started to go out. This enabled me to get a reasonable measure of how much of a charge 3 hours of full direct sun (in April) to the unit was able to recharge my phone. I got about a 20% increase of charge to the phone from leaving the unit directly in the unclouded midday sun during this 3 hour period of time. Even under the best of conditions, you should not try to rely exclusively on the sun, even under optimum conditions to be able to charge the unit at a rate even close to the rate of consumption of your phone if you are giving it even light to moderate use. The solar cells can best be thought of as prolonging the lifetime of an initial full charge from a powered source, or in the case of a true emergency, where both the power bank and your phone are totally tapped out, that it might give your phone somewhere between 10-40% of a full charge after sitting a full day under bright sunny conditions, depending on your latitude, time of year and your phone's specific battery specs. While that won't enable you to talk to your girlfriend at home for 3 hours every night if you're hiking the Appalachian Trail from one end to another and listen to tunes during the day while hiking, it will sure enable you to call 911 and give them your location if you slip off a rock face and bust a few bones, incapacitating you (assuming you have cell service at the location of your accident) or have some other emergency. If you think of this device more as an emergency resource for a long trip away from the grid, or as a great resource to keep you powered up for a long weekend camping trip away from other power sources, you will have a very powerful tool in your backpack that will be money well spent! Since I live in hurricane alley, I consider mine more as a resource in case of long-term power outages. Hope this helps. Even after I had discharged the Sandberg Outdoor Solar Powerbank 24000 to the point where it would no longer input any additional charge to the phone battery, the LED lights would still burn brightly for at least 30 min or so before completely dying.

I had the chance to really test out the IP67 rating of the unit.

The flashlight with three different settings is also a great addition and would be very helpful when spending the night outdoors. While I did have some trouble figuring out how to turn the flash light on, and then off, it only too a few attempts to figure it out.

Conclusion

The Sandberg Outdoor Solar Powerbank 24000 has a massive battery capacity of 24,000mAh. 24,000 mAh is one of the biggest capacity portable solar battery chargers you will come across and so it meets most charging demands. The Sandberg Outdoor Solar Powerbank 24000 is compatible with all Android and iOS devices, so is safe and universal! The charging capabilities are incredible for such a small design. It also features three charging ports. The power bank can rapidly charge multiple devices at the same time, although for the fastest charging it is recommended to charge a maximum of two devices at a time. It cannot be charged and discharged at the same time. The power bank also supports quick charging. Meaning that your device will charge just as fast as if it were plugged into the wall. The outer casing is all sorts of proof. Waterproof. Shockproof. Dustproof. At half a kilo you are unlikely to feel weighed down by the product. It can take quite a beating. There is circuit protection so you can't overcharge and damage it. The light LEDs also let you know when it is fully charged and you can pack it away. As the product is intended to be taken for camping trips, it has a torch on the front edge. This is a great function which can help you out of many a tricky situation.

The portability and functionality make this product pretty much accessible for all people who use their SMART phone or other devices every day. The solar charging capability make it suitable for those who will either be outside, hiking and camping, and even those who are in a single spot throughout the day, such as at work or in the park. 24,000 mAh is a fairly large capacity battery (88.8 Ah) which means it will last for a considerable length of time away from any power source. I also recommend leaving the charger on the window sill or by some natural light when you are at home or stationary as this keeps it topped up. The suggested selling price of Outdoor Solar Powerbank 24000 is $132.99. It has a five-year warranty.

Last edited by testman78; 05-04-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Thanks I like the solar charging
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID