Thread: Are water cooled condensers possible?

Are water cooled condensers possible?

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum. Hopefully this is the right section.

Would it be possible to take a phase change unit, such as the retail LD PC-V2, and water cool the condenser element.
    Such as by replacing the condenser with a small heat exchanger, which is then connected to a conventional water cooling loop.

I imagine this would reduce the noise and size of the system?

Yes, a Lytron 10 ton brazed plate heat exchanger is kinda what you are looking for.
    I had a unit that I was trying to condense Iceon89 using a L2L, R507 was too easy.
    http://www.lytron.com/Heat-Exchanger...quid-to-Liquid
    I have never had a Lytron fail and I own a few in use now. It does help the capability of condensing the first stage but you will still need the L2A and fans, maybe you had other geothermal ideas?
    Last edited by Charles Wirth; 04-02-2018 at 12:03 PM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Thanks Charles!

I've no experience in refrigeration myself, should I just take the stock unit to a local expert and ask them to fit the L2L and regas the unit? Do you know what refrigerant would be best?

When you say I will still need the L2A and fans, do you mean the L2A will need to remain in place, so the refrigerant would run through the L2L, then through the L2A?

Finally, in a single stage system such as the LD PC-V2, could one also connect the L2L to a chilled water loop to cool the hot side below ambient?
    Last edited by geobow; 04-03-2018 at 01:49 AM.

Dothan FTW!
    Is littledevil still doing custom work? If so, you'd be best off getting him to build you something instead of buying a new unit and paying someone to rip it apart and modify it. I'm doubtful you'd improve on the noise levels or the size of the LD unit, but you could run heavier refrigerants with more cooling capacity on the condenser, as Charles has been doing, if these refrigerants are available to your builder.

By the time you've connected a L2L condenser to a chiller (which would need to be able to handle the heat load of the unit as well as your CPU, so would have to be a massive chiller) you've pretty much built a cascade, using two HX's connected by coolant between the first and second stages instead of them sharing a heat exchanger. The refrigerant charge and metering of each unit would have to be tweaked to get this performing well, and you would have to wait for the chiller to get down to temp before powering on the second stage to get any real cooling out of it. It could work, but there are better ways of doing this.

I'd recommend you look at some of the stunning cascades that have been built on this forum over the years if you're after more than you can get from a standard single stage.
    .:MeltedDuron:.
    Aurora - i5 7600K@4.2GHz- Zotac GTX1070 Mini - 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3-3000 - Asus Prime Z270M - Fusion ioDrive Duo 1.2TB - 2x512GB Samsung Evo 970 Plus - Seagate FireCuda 2TB - HGST 4TB - Fractal Design Define Mini - Win7 and OSX 10.12
    Lenore - Xeon L5430 - Gigabyte G33M-DS2R - 2x2GB HyperX 6400 - Sapphire Radeon HD5450 - M-Audio Delta 1010 - Adaptec SCSI - 256GB Firestorm SSD - 1TB Samsung F1 - 2U rack mounted - WinXP and OSX 10.6
    Delilah - Pentium E5800 @ 4.2GHZ (VID mod) - Asrock Conroe865PE - Radeon 9800 Pro - 2x512MB GeiL Blue PC3200 - 30GB OCZ Vertex - 160GB Seagate - 2U rack mounted - Win98SE and Win2k
    Jezabel - Athlon XP 2800+ Barton @ 2100 (200*10.5) - ATi FireGL X1 256MB - Asus A7N8X-E Dlx - 2x512MB OCZ EL PC3200 - OG Antec Case - Win98SE and Win2k
    Mysti (WIP) - Pentium II 350MHz - Abit BX6 Rev2 - 4x256MB PC100 SDRAM - ATi Rage Fury Maxx - Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo2 8MB - 20GB IBM DeathStar - Still looking for the right case...