Thread: Advice needed: must get rid of heat from a basement w/multiple PCs

Xtreme X.I.P.

Advice needed: must get rid of heat from a basement w/multiple PCs

I got a few PCs running in a remote location, and as the # of PCs go up, the temperature is getting out of hand. It's reasonable now, but it seems pretty clear that 15kW isn't ideal when summer is here :p Hence the need to get rid of some heat. Here's a shot of a part of the room:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bule3.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	132491

Currently there's positive pressure in the room from some air condition unit in the roof, so that air is pushed out through the pipe in the corner. My question is, how much heat can I force through that 12cm diameter opening? The rigs are mostly used for GPU crunching, but there should be about 3000W worth of CPU heat from folding@home running on 18 core xeons as well.

My first thought was to water cool those Xeons (one loop per PC) and use an old water heater as a huge res, and then have a separate loop from the heater to some sort of radiator setup 1-2m in front of the hole, and make an air tight cover (imagine some sort of funnel, with the tip being the hole on the wall) so that the air from the room is forced through the small opening through the rad(s). I do have alot of parts stocked up, including Iwaki pumps, which should be both powerful and of high enough quality.

Thoughts?
    --->TeamPURE<---

Based on color of room you need a heat pump setup in another room or outside, preferably outside.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    I'd also set them up without cases to avoid trapping the heat and giving the coolers more work to do.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I don't own the room itself, so drilling holes through a wall is probably not an option at this point.

I've thought about making open air solutions, which might be done if this water cooling idea won't work.
    --->TeamPURE<---

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You ever see Linus's full room water cooler? Ran copper pipes along the wall and piped water from computers to his bathroom iirc. Dumbest thing I ever saw but for you might not be so dumb...
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

What kind of room access do you have? Window anywhere? Or nearby?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

here are mine, open air.