Thread: [News] Intel Unveils Discrete GPU Prototype Development

[News] Intel Unveils Discrete GPU Prototype Development

https://www.techpowerup.com/241669/i...pe-development

Intel is making progress in its development of a new discrete GPU architecture, after its failed attempt with "Larrabee" that ended up as an HPC accelerator; and ancient attempts such as the i740. This comes in the wake of the company's high-profile hiring of Raja Koduri, AMD's former Radeon Technologies Group (RTG) head. The company unveiled slides pointing to the direction in which its GPU development is headed, at the IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC) in San Francisco. That direction is essentially scaling up its existing iGPU architecture, and bolstering it with mechanisms to sustain high clock speeds better.

The company's first 14 nm dGPU prototype, shown as a test-chip at the ISSCC, is a 2-chip solution. The first chip contains two key components, the GPU itself, and a system agent; and the second chip is an FPGA that interfaces with the system bus. The GPU component, as it stands now, is based on Intel's Gen 9 architecture, and features a three execution unit (EU) clusters. Don't derive numbers from this yet, as Intel is only trying to demonstrate a proof of concept. The three clusters are wired to a sophisticated power/clock management mechanism that efficiently manages power and clock-speed of each individual EU. There's also a double-clock mechanism that doubles clock speeds (of the boost state) beyond what today's Gen 9 EUs can handle on Intel iGPUs. Once a suitable level of energy efficiency is achieved, Intel will use newer generations of EUs, and scale up EU counts taking advantage of newer fab processes, to develop bigger discrete GPUs.

Let's try this again!

After the lackluster attempts previously, and how Raja did at AMD, I'm not expecting a whole lot.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Let's try this again!

After the lackluster attempts previously, and how Raja did at AMD, I'm not expecting a whole lot.
    Raja really wanted compute, and he succeeded with it. I dont think we will be using intel GPU for actual graphics any time soon. They could not even make a working iris driver so it would take years to catch up just on software.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Mentor
    Intel does not want the pay the money that a discrete gpu needs but still want to try that. This strategy did not work as it shows this to intel many times. Now another try with same strategy... Koduri wont change anything.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Building on quicksand ( with the current "HD Graphics" and Raja Koduri as base )...

All aboard the failship...
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    It wouldn't surprise me if it ends up just being a testbed for future iris pro integrated graphics. That being said, it could eventually be scaled up to compete with mid-range discrete solutions - which is where it really hurts nvidia. Intel already successfully killed low-end, so it makes sense to continue encroaching on the market from the bottom up. Once you capture the mid-range market, nvidia is basically dead, as it's no longer cost-effective to continue developing high-end products.

E: of course, nvidia seems aware of this and are currently in the process of pivoting into other, more lucrative markets.
    Last edited by iddqd; 02-21-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    Sigs are obnoxious.