Thread: [News/Rumor] Nvidia Ampere might launch as GeForce GTX 2070 and 2080 on April 12th

[News/Rumor] Nvidia Ampere might launch as GeForce GTX 2070 and 2080 on April 12th

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/rum...pril-12th.html

It's been silent with new graphics card releases from Nvidia. We've mentioned it a couple of times already, we really do not expect Volta with HBM2 to reach consumer grade graphics anytime soon. The chatter is about to get big as the first indications are here that Nvidia will be launching a GA104, a GPU called Ampere, on April 12th.

You are going to see a multitude of disclaimers in this news-item, however, the rumor that will flood the web after today is derived and traced back towards 3dcenter, and is nothing other than speculation based on a few observations. Nvidia would be readying a GPU series called Ampere, and not Volta. The name "Ampere" has been mentioned in the past a couple of times already, in fact, we wrote a few items about that GPU name popping up, constantly. It's now said and written that Nvidia halted production of the GP102 (e.g. 1080 Ti / Titan X) and likely GP104 GPU (e.g. 1070/1080), all originally released back in 2016. So, the question then arises, what is happening with Volta GPUs? Where are they?

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    I'm not sure I buy this info...why couldn't the consumer version of Volta just use GDDR6 and be released later in the year? It's not like AMD is forcing nVidia to release a newer card any quicker than they want too.
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

I agree with those who say that Ampere arch is just a refresh of the Pascal arch (which itself was a refresh of the Maxwell ).

But then again it could just be a cut down chip version of the full Volta die with GDDR6 support.

We shall have to wait for more reliable information for now.