Thread: [News] Microsoft Office 2019 Will Run on Windows 10, and Only Windows 10

Hybrid View

[News] Microsoft Office 2019 Will Run on Windows 10, and Only Windows 10

https://www.techpowerup.com/241394/m...nly-windows-10

As reported yesterday, Microsoft changed the way how they license Windows 10 to their OEM partners. But buckle in folks, the changes just keep on coming. In what looks like an effort to push Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 owners to upgrade, Microsoft has officially announced that Office 2019 will only work on machines with Windows 10 and the next LTSC release of Windows Server. That's only the tip of the iceberg though. Unlike previous version of Office that came with 10 years of support, Office 2019's support lifecycle is shortened to five years of mainstream support and two years of extended support. Additionally, the client applications are only available with a Click-to-Run installer. However, Microsoft will continue to provide a MSI installer for the server applications.

Xtreme Cruncher
    That will just encourage people to not upgrade if anything.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

This shouldn't surprise anyone. Extended support for Win7 ends in 2020 after all. Windows 8 isn't until 2023, but office 2013 didn't support Vista despite it still being under support until 2017.

I wouldn't consider it a push to get people to upgrade to 10, rather a "why bother" move they've done in the past.

That said, I'd still be using Office 2007 as it does everything I needed it to do aside from the fact my work uses Office 365 so I have my "own" copy to use at home, as long as I work there.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

I've never really seen the point in repeatedly upgrading the office suite. For 99% of users we support, the functionality from Office 2003 is more than sufficient. Hell, Word 95 would probably do!

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Open Office is the best way to go. If you have simple embedded scripts/macros in Excel and Word, Open Office can handle it. As simple as an install, I?m not kidding.

You can open Excel documents with code and formula in Open Office Calc with ease, unless the formulas in the Excel documents are silly. VB code in Word macros are mostly possible, but could require tweaking. Almost all text documents you make in Word can be opened and edited in Open Office Writer, you can export to PDF, all the stuff. Font and visual editing is better in Word {Adobe is the best, OT!), but seriously you can migrate most MS Office to Open Office in a normal application scenario.

If you have embedded scripts/macros that have complex macros and/or VB code it would probably be easier to just upgrade.

If you use MS Access with complex code and multiple forms, I think upgrade to latest Win 10 and Office (why have you not already?). MS Access with forms and code migration to another platform requires too much downtime and productivity loss. If that is what you?re dealing with, just bite the bullet.

Simple documentation procedures could also look into Google Docs. Why save all the stuff locally when you can measure in the productivity of Google Docs?

Xtreme Mentor
    Even FIFA series comes with updated player list for teams... upgrading office makes no sense most of the time.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Apache Open Office and Libre Office don't have the same functionality nor the great interface as Microsoft Office 2007/2016. They basically are MS Office 2003 clones with support for newer formats.

But I really wish some free open source software will appear that will at least equal MS Office in the future. But right now there is no real good alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfx View Post
    Apache Open Office and Libre Office don't have the same functionality nor the great interface as Microsoft Office 2007/2016. They basically are MS Office 2003 clones with support for newer formats.

But I really wish some free open source software will appear that will at least equal MS Office in the future. But right now there is no real good alternative.
    What functionality are you looking for? What are the flaws you see in the interface of Open Office?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by xytrius View Post
    What functionality are you looking for? What are the flaws you see in the interface of Open Office?
    I have to work with both, since at work they changed to libre office and there are things i still haven't figured out. Tracking changes is a pain to do in libre office, every time I do some changes and record them in with word, they don't translate into libre office and the whole document is fudged.
    They also had trouble with different designs that were made for O2013 which did not translate at all into libre office, which took quite some time to redo them.
    Another personal note, the UI is just old. While I don't mind drop down menus I can do things way faster in office.