Thread: [News] "Most Cryptocurrencies' Value Could Hit Zero", Warns Goldmann Sachs Analyst

[News] "Most Cryptocurrencies' Value Could Hit Zero", Warns Goldmann Sachs Analyst

https://www.techpowerup.com/241339/m...-sachs-analyst

Adding yet more tinder to the fire is usually the way for some players in the industry - and this isn't any different (one could even say this is exacerbated) by investment gurus and finance groups. Steve Strongin, Goldmann Sachs global head of investment research, said in a February 5th report that most digital currencies are unlikely to survive in their current form, and investors should prepare for coins to lose all their value as they're replaced by a small set of future competitors. Steve Strongin is particularly worried on account of "The high correlation between the different cryptocurrencies," adding that "because of the lack of intrinsic value, the currencies that don't survive will most likely trade to zero."

This is a trend that can usually be seen in the crypto market, as most alt-coins tend to follow Bitcoin's pricing trends, with their value being seemingly pegged to the current cryptocurrency king's value - and some might say credibility. There have been some instances of drifting pricing trends where some cryptocurrencies actually cease being pegged to bitcoin's value in their own valuation, but these events are usually few, far between, and tend to regress to their previous state.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Hahaha, yeah.
    Let's trust Goldman Sach's and JP Morgan fraud attempts.

That's their classic playbook to do their Pump & Dump schemes and to buy valuable assets for dirty cheap.

A few months ago JP Morgan's CEO did the very same thing, stated that Bitcoin is a fraud and will collapse... and it kinda did, the next day after his statements it lost around 25% of its USD exchange value... and JP Morgan purchased a good stack of Bitcoins...

We love you guys!
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Member
    My analysis - Goldmann Sachs could hit zero.
    2600k @ 4.6 GHz
    Noctua NH-D14 cooler
    P8Z68-V PRO
    16 GB RAM
    Corsair TX-850
    Two Gigabyte 670 GTX Windforce's in SLI at +60 core/+400 memory (3DMark11 15000P)
    Antec P182
    Crucial M4 SSD
    Win7 x64
    Dell 3007WFP-HC
    Logitech G15 Keyboard & G7 Mouse
    ErgoHuman Chair

Xtreme Mentor
    I think this is not a possibility but a fact. The number of cc are way too much. Most of them will be eliminated for sure.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

He does have a point that they have no intrinsic value. Heck, neither does paper fiat money, but at least you can burn the paper to create a little bit of light and heat for a short bit. Can't even do that with crypto
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    He does have a point that they have no intrinsic value. Heck, neither does paper fiat money, but at least you can burn the paper to create a little bit of light and heat for a short bit. Can't even do that with crypto
    I get the point you're trying to make, but how does fiat have no intrinsic value? It's a share of a clearly defined asset (namely how much the world deems a country's economic output to be worth). That's like stating that a stock has no intrinsic value or that the only things with intrinsic value are those that can be physically used (such as gold).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Mentor
    Think like this, your government decided to make central banks open market and lots of central banks with their own currency opened in your country. After some time passes only the ones that are used for transactions will be survived and the ones which are not used... if its central bank won't agree to exchange it to a used one then they have no value (except for collections)...

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    I get the point you're trying to make, but how does fiat have no intrinsic value? It's a share of a clearly defined asset (namely how much the world deems a country's economic output to be worth). That's like stating that a stock has no intrinsic value or that the only things with intrinsic value are those that can be physically used (such as gold).
    It's worth pointing out that that is what intrinsic means. Your shares of stocks are just a few bytes in a database. They have no intrinsic value. That isn't to say they have no extrinsic value. The intrinsic value of cash is whatever that much paper and ink can do for you. You could use it for fire or bookmarks or whatever I guess. The extrinsic value of cash is built upon external factors like confidence and trust that those who wish to trade it have.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

I have observed and interesting pattern over the last (at least) 15 years concerning Goldman Sachs.

If you negate whatever official statement they make you actually get a pretty good prediction.

The number of Cryptocurrencies will get culled in the near future and only the most viable ones will still be in use. That is how markets work in any economy, virtual or real. I don't agree with Goldman Sachs research who states that cryptocurrencies will get replaced. Right now there is not even a theoretical alternative for them.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    https://www.financemagnates.com/cryp...rming-bitcoin/

I laugh whenever those greedy liars try to fool the public with their "statements" and tiny bits in interviews like JP's CEO and the others calling bitcoin a fraud only to see its value fall the following day and then... they purchase bitcoins... its ironic how they can lie just to get what the want at the price they want.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Totally agree.
    However I'm not so sure I'de trust these guys when it comes to this topic, I'de be iffy trusting them at all tbh.
    But esp. on this topic.

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    I think what he means is that cash isn't backed by gold anymore, it has no 'real' material value.
    Other then what others perceive as value, if they except cash, it's worth something.
    Regardless if people know the true value or not.

Speaking of currency, one of the more interesting things I've come across is that you can still get gas for under $1 a gal.
    If you pay for it in silver...
    I mean, the old silver coins we used to mint here in the states.
    If you collected enough of them, traded them in for the silver value type of thing...
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 02-14-2018 at 08:25 PM.