Thread: [News] Apple starts to kill off its server functionality

[News] Apple starts to kill off its server functionality

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/45480-a...-functionality

The Fruity Cargo cult Apple is finally giving up on its server based flavours of OS X.

In the days when Apple was a computer company rather than a maker of overpriced toys, it used to make over-priced rack servers. Apple?s networking had a reputation for being about as reliable as the London to Brighton train, and soon people were starting to ignore Apple?s server offerings as if they were a rabid dog.

Jobs? Mob pulled the hardware but ran a unique flavour of OS X for that equipment with extra, server friendly features. For years there has been the occasional change in cost or distribution method, but it has still been with us.

In a recent post to its knowledge base, Apple states that almost all of the services not necessary for the management of networked Macs and other iDevices are being deprecated. These services will be hidden for new installs and dropped in the future.

Apple writes that "those depending on them should consider alternatives, including hosted services".

Well, at least Apple has worked out what it is good at, and it never was particularly good at networking, or software which could tell the time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That makes almost no sense. OS X is at least loosely based on FreeBSD. How much work did they have to do to gut networking functionality? It seems like it would be cheaper/easier just to leave it in there?

I'm an admin for 100+ Apple Servers, mostly all Mac Mini's - there's zero reason for them to remove the functionality, they could absolutely just leave it in. Removing mail, yeah that's fine, no one should be running their own mail server these days, DHCP & DNS? That's what modern routers are for...however, pulling the contacts, calendars, VPN services along with network home folders - that's unacceptable.

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.