Thread: [News] Apple to pay $38 billion in US taxes on overseas cash

[News] Apple to pay $38 billion in US taxes on overseas cash

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...eas-cash-home/

Apple announced on Wednesday that it would pay $38 billion in taxes to the federal government as it brings cash earned overseas into the United States. The big payment is the result of President Donald Trump's tax cut bill, passed last month, which created a new, special tax rate for overseas cash.

Apple is likely to be the biggest beneficiary of that provision. The American company had around $250 billion in cash and other short-term assets held by overseas affiliates. Under previous tax law, Apple would have had to pay a tax of 35 percent in order to bring overseas cash back to the United States. Under the new law, that rate is cut to 15.5 percent, saving Apple tens of billions of dollars compared to what it would have paid to bring the cash home in 2017.

Apple didn't have a choice about this. Under the new tax bill, all overseas cash is subject to a one-time 15.5 percent tax whether Apple leaves it overseas or moves it to the United States.

Apple says it expects to invest $30 billion in the United States over the next five years, though the company didn't say how much of that represented an increase over previous investment plans. $10 billion of that will be in data centers in the US.

Apple says it plans to add 20,000 American jobs in addition to the 84,000 people it already employs in the United States. The company is also expanding its advanced manufacturing fund, which supports US manufacturing activities, from $1 billion to $5 billion.

Xtreme Guru
    Pathetic. Last year corporations only paid 11% of our total tax revenue. The rest came from the people and payroll.

Apple should have been forced to at minimum pay the 21% rate currently mandated or risk severe punishment in their operating licenses. It would be one thing if they were actually spending on that money on jobs, but they literally were just stashing it away in savings accounts #trickledown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Administrator
    Reported yesterday they are opening new facilities creating 20,000 new jobs in the US, plus dumping $30 billion in capital spending...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ild-new-campus

Xtreme Enthusiast
    15.5% is better than 0%.

Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post
    15.5% is better than 0%.
    companies only stopped bringing money back when they found out they could lobby for "one time lower rates," now they hold out until the get a lower rate exception.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No, they stopped bringing money back when they could park it overseas ad infinitum without ever being taxed by the US of A on it.

If Congress had had the balls to tax US corporations on their foreign holdings before repatriation, then they would have paid 35% or so on it anyway. But Congress never did that.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post
    No, they stopped bringing money back when they could park it overseas ad infinitum without ever being taxed by the US of A on it.

If Congress had had the balls to tax US corporations on their foreign holdings before repatriation, then they would have paid 35% or so on it anyway. But Congress never did that.
    This. The job creation is just a way of trying to appease the American public. But the reality is Congress could have forced Apple et al to pay their fair share years ago and willingly chose not to thanks to modern campaign laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans