Thread: [News] Surprise memory price drop

[News] Surprise memory price drop

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/memory/...ory-price-drop

After an 18 month boom, there has been a sudden drop in some memory prices, which is causing jitters among investors who had thought the chip boom would last at least another year.

Prices of high-end flash memory chips,dropped nearly five percent in the fourth quarter and some analysts now expect the industry?s growth rate will fall by more than half this year to 30 percent.

That led shares in Samsung to dip 7.5 percent last week, while its home rival SK Hynix fell 6.2 percent. But analysts say that there is unlikely to be a sudden crash, and that 2018 should be a relatively stable year for chipmakers.

Yuanta Securities Korea analyst Lee Jae-yun told investors that memory chips will likely see a gradual price decline in 2018 if demand remains strong and appetite from servers holds.

However 30 percent growth is still a strong gain in an industry known for volatility, and the market is still on course for its longest ever boom after shrinking six percent in 2016.

The supply of NAND flash memory chips, in particular, will grow 43 percent this year, up from last year?s 34 percent, causing prices to drop by about 10 percent, brokerage Nomura estimates.

Nomura expects growth in output will be largely led by the likes of Western Digital, Toshiba and Micron as they seek to catch up with top-ranked Samsung, which controls about 40 percent of the flash memory chip market.

Smartphone vendors have been including more memory in their phones and charging more for them, allowing them to weather last year?s price surge, analysts say.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Huh, article doesn't really say if it's DRAM or NAND prices going down.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Funny thing is, DDR4 3200 prices are the sole reason I haven't upgraded yet. When I finally had the money to upgrade to Ryzen it seemed ddr4 prices had increased 40% overnight. I'll just wait for them to come down again. Hopefully around April.

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Want me to believe your hardware review? Show me a receipt

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Good luck with that.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I've waited years. a couple months wont hurt. I don't pay a premium on any component. especially something that should be $50+ lower than it's current price.

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Want me to believe your hardware review? Show me a receipt

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
    Funny thing is, DDR4 3200 prices are the sole reason I haven't upgraded yet. When I finally had the money to upgrade to Ryzen it seemed ddr4 prices had increased 40% overnight. I'll just wait for them to come down again. Hopefully around April.
    The state of current pricing has kept me from building/buying a new PC. Ryzen dropped, and the price of SSDs, GFX cards & RAM shot through the roof! If it keeps up I'll walk away and stay strictly console/mobile.

I am not a lamb to be fleeced.
    q9550 @ 444 x 8.5 1.3v - Venomous X
    p5q DLX
    Ocz RPR 1066 4 x 2g @ 1066
    eah5870 V2 @ 920/1250 - HR-03gt
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

Except consoles suck, and mobile sucks for, well, a lot of stuff, IMO. I don't know how people stand to do so much on tiny little 5 or 6 inch screens and touch screen keyboards. If I'm doing any kind of work, or typing out stuff, etc, I want a real keyboard and a monitor.

Shoot, browsing Amazon and looking up details of stuff on mobile annoys me. It is convenient to have when I want it, but to rely on it sucks.

And I'm never doing banking on my phone. Just, no.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Except consoles suck, and mobile sucks for, well, a lot of stuff, IMO. I don't know how people stand to do so much on tiny little 5 or 6 inch screens and touch screen keyboards. If I'm doing any kind of work, or typing out stuff, etc, I want a real keyboard and a monitor.

Shoot, browsing Amazon and looking up details of stuff on mobile annoys me. It is convenient to have when I want it, but to rely on it sucks.

And I'm never doing banking on my phone. Just, no.
    WiFi KB/mouse and HDMI with adapter. I'll gladly put up with a smaller screen size - too cheap/lazy to mess around with HDMI, and gaming on consoles isn't a bad experience. I still get my 'tech fix' and don't end up with a funny walk from being bent over.

I never have, and never will, do any online banking/bill payments. I refuse to, and with the recent developments I'm feeling rather vindicated.
    q9550 @ 444 x 8.5 1.3v - Venomous X
    p5q DLX
    Ocz RPR 1066 4 x 2g @ 1066
    eah5870 V2 @ 920/1250 - HR-03gt
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

Xtreme Member
    It was actually cheaper for me to purchase a couple of pre-built computers and part out the components, for me to acquire "cheap" RAM..
    my mini-fridge
    MoBo: GA-EP45-UD3P | CPU: Q9550 3.6GHZ @ 1.216v | RAM: 4x1GB 900mhz @ 5-5-5-15 | GPU: GTX 460 900G/1800S/4400M | PSU: Corsair 750TX| HDD's: Seagate 320GB + 500GB, Samsung 1TB | Case: antec p180