Thread: Have a strange problem. Please help me to figure it out.

Xtreme Mentor

Have a strange problem. Please help me to figure it out.

Ok first of all I am not sure if this is about intel platform but as I can't say it is not so I decided to open the topic here.

I recently build a new system and below is my system in details:
    Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5
    16 GB 3000ghz Corsair
    Galax Exoc 1080ti
    512gb 960pro
    2x256gb 850evo at raid0
    512gb sandisk ssd
    FSP 850w
    1tb external WD
    2tb external seagate
    asus pg348q (gsync) connected with dp
    samsung xl 2370 connected with hdmi
    everything is @ stock from the beginning only settings I changed from the bios is for configuring GPT or disabling some onboard features that I don't want to use.
    I use windows 10 1709. All drivers are recent ones.

System is all stable as far as I test. Prime95 stable, memtest86 with no errors, unique heaven, 3d mark for many loops, furmark are perfect. I ran prime95 and unique heaven at the same time also stable. Only issue other than my big problem is buzzing sound on my headphones when GPU is on load.

Now the problem: I will try to explain it in detail as much as I can with the every clue I found until now.

When I do something in a game that decreases the GPU usage and then return back to a state with higher gpu usage computer freezes and the only way to recover it is to reset. There is a afterburner monitor screenshot below. Only pattern I can find is on that screenshot. It always happens on a GPU state like which is at the instant moment that it is actually more than it shows but can't report it because of the freeze. Mostly sound plays (sometimes stuck a loud buzzing noise), keyboard and mouse won't work (only one time mouse and keyboard worked for a little time then freezed but can't repeat it) This happened while playing two games The Witcher 3 and CS:GO until now. Now I will detail it with an example for a better understanding. When I play Witcher 3 I entered the inventory menu and on that state gpu usage decreases. Then when I return back to the game from the menu at the instant moment computer freezes. After a while gpu fans starts to run faster. And no related log can be found on event viewer . And unfortunately this is a total random problem. As it always happens on a gpu usage state like on the screenshot it does not always do it. Actually this is a very rare problem. I can play Witcher 3 20 hours in a week while entering inventory menu lots of times (create that pattern hundred times) without any problems. I contacted with Galax and they said they tried what I described for 100 times and no problem as I expected. I also contacted Gigabyte for mainboard but they say they don't know anything about this.

Now I stuck at this point. I tried disabling Nvidia sound devices on device manager, disabling pci-e power saving, closing afterburner, closing ms game overlay and no go. I will try to log cpu voltage. I suspect onboard soundcard (as the buzzing noise) and my external seagate which caused a problem on my old system (can't restart system while it is pluged in) and of course bios and drivers for mobo and chipset as z370 and my mobo is new. While this mostly seems like a GPU problem because it is stable on every stability test that I tried I can't be sure (Still running these test when I found time).

Any help, any clue will be great as I can't even figure which part to send to RMA and also need to find a way to repeat the problem for explaining my problem to the people working on distributers.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_8...QC37dlj2sUH6xy
    Last edited by kromosto; 01-08-2018 at 01:00 AM.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

your game is installed on which drive ?
    pagefile settings ? background process ?

Xtreme Mentor
    First there were at 960pro but then changed to ssd raid. As the screen freezes can't be sure about the background processes but trying to figure out a way to log them.

Xtreme Mentor
    I format and install windows again and remove connection of mass storage that has electrical problems and wait for if anythibg happens.

Xtreme Mentor
    Still no problem. What changed is some new drivers, no mass storage with electrical problem and no afterburner. I am not sure which one was the problem but I think it is solved.