Thread: [News] Ajit Pai wants to reverse BitTorrent decision

[News] Ajit Pai wants to reverse BitTorrent decision

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/45041-a...rrent-decision

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, who appears to have set a goal of sending the US internet into the dark ages, is digging up an old rule which stopped telcos from killing off BitTorrent.

Pai thinks it was a mistake for the FCC to try and stop Comcast from blocking BitTorrent in 2008, and thinks all of the regulatory actions the FCC took after that to give itself the authority to prevent blocking were wrong.

To do that he wants to turn back the clock to the legal framework that allowed Comcast to block BitTorrent.

For those who are too young to remember, the 2008 Comcast-BitTorrent Order allowed the Commission to directly enforce federal internet policy when the telcos significantly impeded consumers? ability to access the content and use the applications of their choice.

The FCC couldn?t stop Comcast from blocking BitTorrent in 2008, it changed the rules so it would have that power, and Pai wants to undo that change and give Comcast the power to block internet services like BitTorrent once again.

Pai claims that the FCC did not need those sorts of powers and Comcast blocking BitTorrent could have been challenged under antitrust and consumer protection laws on a case-by-case basis. However, there is a small problem here about who would actually make the complaint. Taking on Comcast is an expensive option and out of the pockets of most people.

To make matters worse, even if it did win, the precedents don?t have much weight. It will not take long for the general public and consumer rights groups to realise that taking on the telcos is too rich for their legal budgets. This is exactly the sort of thing that a government regulator should be doing.

Xtreme Guru
    I'm not for piracy, but I don't like where this is going. Pai is going to open a lot of doors to internet censorship that make me really uncomfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well that's what happens you have a bunch of completely incompetent people in positions they should not be allowed to be in. It all starts at the top too!
    24/7 Cruncher #1
    Crosshair VII Hero, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO, 4x8GB GSKILL 3600MHz C15, ASUS TUF 3090 OC
    Samsung 980 1TB NVMe, Samsung 870 QVO 1TB, 2x10TB WD Red RAID1, Win 10 Pro, Enthoo Luxe TG, EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2

24/7 Cruncher #2
    ASRock X470 Taichi, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 AIO, 2x16GB GSKILL NEO 3600MHz C16, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
    Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe, Samsung 870 EVO 500GBWin 10 Ent, Enthoo Pro, Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W

24/7 Cruncher #3
    GA-P67A-UD4-B3 BIOS F8 mod, 2600k (L051B138) @ 4.5 GHz, 1.260v full load, Arctic Liquid 120, (Boots Win @ 5.6 GHz per Massman binning)
    Samsung Green 4x4GB @2133 C10, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Hybrid, Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Rosewill Rise, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2

24/7 Cruncher #4 ... Crucial M225 64GB SSD Donated to Endurance Testing (Died at 968 TB of writes...no that is not a typo!)
    GA-EP45T-UD3LR BIOS F10 modded, Q6600 G0 VID 1.212 (L731B536), 3.6 GHz 9x400 @ 1.312v full load, Zerotherm Zen FZ120
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR3-1600MHz C7, Gigabyte 7950 @1200/1250, Crucial MX100 128GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Centurion 590, XFX PRO650W

Music System
    SB Server->SB Touch w/Android Tablet as a remote->Denon AVR-X3300W->JBL Studio Series Floorstanding Speakers, JBL LS Center, 2x SVS SB-2000 Subs

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    I'm not for piracy, but I don't like where this is going. Pai is going to open a lot of doors to internet censorship that make me really uncomfortable.
    Censorship is already there, look at the big portals like twitter, youtube and google as search engine. Having the wrong political opinion will get you removed, deplatforming you censoring your opinion.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestang View Post
    Well that's what happens you have a bunch of completely incompetent people in positions they should not be allowed to be in. It all starts at the top too!
    You sure mr ajit is incompetent ? From what i read about the guy, he is very competent and good at his job. Its just that his job is not working for the people but various telecoms.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Censorship is already there, look at the big portals like twitter, youtube and google as search engine. Having the wrong political opinion will get you removed, deplatforming you censoring your opinion.
    I don't think that's true; if anything people from all viewpoints cater to their specific audiences.

No one will complain about your opinion as long as it's respectful. It's those who can't even handle that bare level of responsibility that get removed.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    You sure mr ajit is incompetent ? From what i read about the guy, he is very competent and good at his job. Its just that his job is not working for the people but various telecoms.
    I agree, corrupt and ineffective are two different things. But he is definitely doing the opposite of what the FCC is supposed to do: ensure consumer protection from the telecom industry.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Pai is an ex-Verizon hack. What do you expect? He wants the big ISPs to own the entire Internet, lock stock and barrel.

lots of things use bit torrent now that are not piracy, like steam, psn, live, and origin. comcast had also used the claim that they were blocking encrypted piracy and used that to block/lag games unless you paid for their top tier.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    I download my linux distro's on torrent...

I don't think that's true; if anything people from all viewpoints cater to their specific audiences.

No one will complain about your opinion as long as it's respectful. It's those who can't even handle that bare level of responsibility that get removed.
    Not what I've seen. I've seen a number of cases where if you don't agree with X, you will get shut down or yelled down or something because, you know, you're a <insert terrible person label here>

Not always, not a rule, but still has happened more than it should. Particularly in places like universities etc.

Back on topic, this whole net neutrality thing is a big mess. Don't want the telcos screwing with stuff, don't want the government getting its hands in and opening the door for its own potential censorship either... Yuck. Ajit seems like a turd though from what I've seen so far.
    Last edited by Sparky; 11-27-2017 at 06:48 AM.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Not what I've seen. I've seen a number of cases where if you don't agree with X, you will get shut down or yelled down or something because, you know, you're a <insert terrible person label here>

Not always, not a rule, but still has happened more than it should. Particularly in places like universities etc.

Back on topic, this whole net neutrality thing is a big mess. Don't want the telcos screwing with stuff, don't want the government getting its hands in and opening the door for its own potential censorship either... Yuck. Ajit seems like a turd though from what I've seen so far.
    i dont want to shout you down, but net neutrality and title 2 for consumer facing ISP makes sure the internet stays as it was, and prevents the government from getting involved. without safe harbor protections (that will be lost without title 2) the DMCA will force ISPs to filter and block content. before the 2014 VZ suit they had that since they were not allowed to block or generate data, now without title 2 they will be forced to filter and will not have safe harbor if they do anything to the data stream (like say 4 to 6)

removing title 2 and net neutrality also will slow the adoption of ipv6, as it forces encryption and secures routs. the ISPs wanting this are also private companies so if ICAN ever gets involved they can revoke IP addresses for blocking or throttling.

in the mean time the only time net neutrality rules have come into play was 1) to stop time warner and comcast from bad routing UDP packets so games like LOL would not work, and 2) netflix was trying to force comcast to add peering for lvl3 after comcast illegally removed peering to stop a rival company. so far no one has made any argument that removing title 2 will help anyone but consumer facing ISP shareholders.

there is currently one large ISP in the US (spectrum) offering terrestrial broadband and they only do it since they are legally mandated from the charter/TW merger. with every large ISP implementing caps do you really think they can be trusted with this if they have a choice.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 11-27-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

At least TWC has a history of no caps on anything (and they've used it as a strong marketing point many times). But yeah, I don't really trust them. They screwed with Youtube traffic a few years back.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    At least TWC has a history of no caps on anything (and they've used it as a strong marketing point many times). But yeah, I don't really trust them. They screwed with Youtube traffic a few years back.
    they were one the first to try caps in low income areas, but they are legally barred from them until 2020ish now. we will see how far that goes since comcast was also banned from caps and anti competative network performance until 2018 from when they bought NBC but they still started back up on both fronts.