Thread: Black Friday upgrade

Xtreme Member

Black Friday upgrade

I'm thinking this might be the time to get my new MB, CPU and RAM. But I've been out of the game for awhile. What's the best Intel based bang got the buck. I'm thinking $700 to $800 on sale should get me a good setup. I also thinking I will get a 27-Inch Nvidia G-Sync Monitor sometime soon.
    ASUS Maximus Formula Special Edition / SE X38 RAMPAGE 0803 BIOS
    Q6700
    Lapped TRUE
    G.Skill 8500 2x2GB
    9600DT 512MB
    X-Fi Extreme Music.
    Samsung 1TB & 2 WD 200GB (trying to RAID)
    PC Power & Cooling 750 (Black)

RAMs are super expensive now...

Xtreme Addict
    I think there's 2 platforms right now.
    But I would go for the x299 chipset / lga 2066 for future upgradability and support.
    6c/12t.
    The new star wars game seems to like more then 8 threads.

I personally think the 8c16t cores are were it's going to be in the future to be comfortable.
    I wouldn't go under the 6c/12t cpu's, especially since amd is mainstreaming the 16t cores now. (but you could, a good intel 4c/8t cpu would be just fine)

The best mem to get is samsung, gskill being the most obvious but they will be others, there's probably some corsair with it too.
    I hear you on the budget.

I est
    $300 cpu
    $300 board
    $280? mem (I think that's what it's price at right now, that's $100 more then usual)
    $200 psu
    $200'ish case
    = $1280
    If you've already got a good psu and case, that would be: $880
    This is a rough est, the cpu could be +$30 or so.
    If ram were reasonable right now (you may beable to find some at a good price.., possible I suppose), that would be $780
    I would expect about ~$200 past you budget for a really nice setup, top of the line pretty much.
    It's no 8c16t, but it's quite good enough and would be a good clocker to boot.

You could go for an older platform, say a 7700k.
    Which could save you maybe $30 on the cpu, or more if it's used on ebay perhaps, and MAYBE $100 less on the motherboard.
    Motherboards are expensive these days and they keep going up .
    I remember when top of the line was $80+

Then you have harddrives and so on :\.
    Make a list, find good prices from places you're willing to buy from, add it all up and figure out where you stand.
    If you need to wait for a bigger budget or what, etc.
    I ended up going quite a bit over my initial budget on my setup, because I forgot I needed new drives and another psu in order to pass down my older rig.

i would not buy 2066 unless you need the PCI-e, and then you are dropping a grand on a chip. i think the 8600/8700 are back in stock now and there is also the r7 if you are not going to overclock.

and like everyone else said, ram is very expensive ATM and only getting higher since production was cut.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    If you wait until mid dec/jan or so the prices may go down on the intel's:
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/int...s-new-fab.html

However, you should check this out:
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd...ificantly.html

Amd's platform has matured, if there was such a time to hop on it, this would be that time.
    It's not as good as the intel, but it could be good enough.
    With these prices it's worth a look.
    The 2nd rev should be the one to go for tbh, but the 1st ver aught to be good enough.