Thread: [News] Intel Halts Certain UEFI BIOS Class Level 2 Compatibility Modes In 2020

[News] Intel Halts Certain UEFI BIOS Class Level 2 Compatibility Modes In 2020

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/int...s-in-2020.html

Intel will halt UEFI bios compatibility class 0, 1 and 2 support in 2020. From that moment onwards only UEFI class 3 will be supported. This means that Intel platforms cannot boot through the Compatibility Support Module mode, and that's a problem for dual OS boot systems.

Intel this way pretty much halts the traditional legacy BIOS support. The CSM provides additional functionality to UEFI. This additional functionality permits the loading of a traditional OS or the use of a traditional OpROM The news reached the webs though Brian Richardson, a developer at Intel. Recently he held a presentation on the topic at the UEFI Plugfest in Taiwan, reports tweakers today.

According to Brian the compatibility mode is still here as people want to bypass say the secure boot method, or have multi-OS boot settings. An advantage to discontinue the CSM support is that it will make room in the firmware for other stuff, initially, the BIOS would get significantly smaller in file-size. Also security-wise, the step would make a lot of sense.

Starting 2020 Uefo Class 3 will be the new standard at Intel, with secure boot enabled.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sucks for some Linux distros. Also bad for some USB boot options.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah this has me worried a tiny bit.
    Not being able to use dos is one thing, but i still don't want to lose that ability even if I don't use it.
    I don't use fast boot, it's just to much of a pain to setup.
    And there's the option rom stuff, etc.

Oh and linux, when you install an os in efi mode, omg that ticks me off, it makes a whole diff boot setup for grub.
    And things just don't act right for me.
    I stick to legacy mode, and I plan on sticking to it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    One wonders if AMD will follow suit and do the same.

I haven't had any real problems with UEFI boot mode in Linux, though I find myself using the UEFI as a boot manager instead of something like GRUB since it seems to break pretty easily. Probably not what I'm supposed to do, but eh it works.

I wonder if I'll face any issues myself. I'm planning to reinstall Debian this week some time and switch from MBR to GPT at the same time. I installed Windows 10 a while back to play PUBG, and I found that my MBR GRUB boot loader is destroyed every single time I load Windows. My hope is that having both Windows and Debian use EFI boot loaders will make Windows happier. I ended up having to debootstrap a minimal Debian install onto a USB stick and make a chroot script that lets me switch into my primary OS, update-grub, sync, and then reboot.

The most annoying part of the problem is that when Windows does whatever it does to my other disk, it leaves most of the boot loader intact such that my motherboard gets confused when it's scanning for valid boot devices. There is a delay of about 30 seconds during startup where it flashes the disk light every 1 second before continuing. That will happen every time I reboot until I update-grub.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.