Thread: RX 480+Rx Vega+ Wolfenstein+Vulkan +WTF

Xtreme Enthusiast

Question RX 480+Rx Vega+ Wolfenstein+Vulkan +WTF

Hey guys.
    So, this thing is really weird.
    But, lets go from teh start.
    I have 2 gpus, Rx 480 and Rx Vega 56, Rx 480 is the main card attached to display, and beneath it is Rx vega not connected, atm used as a compute card only.It mines.Cant really swap them, because vega has ref cooler and it would cook.Cant really connect display to vega, as pc boots only from card in the slot 1 (asrock and sapphire were no help with this).

So, when i first launched wolfenstein new colossus i was surprised to see that i cant mine on vega in the background, because fps takes a huge hit, but i told myself, well, some weird vulkan fluke, its a new api afterall, and played some wolf.
    In the meantime i adjusted my vega voltages and clocks to mine more efficiently, its borderline stable.
    So i tried to play some more today, and it would freeze, and reset clocks. Something is not right, i verified that rx 480 clocks are absolutely game/furmark stable!
    Played around with some options , vsync, adaptive sync, fps limiter, none works btw. So i went to options and launched wolfs built in fps meter which has some nice readings.To my F-g! GREAT surprise , it said i was using VEGA to render the game! I thought "No way in hell, rx is connected to the monitor!, i dont have any CF, i CANT have any cf as these are diff cards and all".
    But then i noticed ,that the vegas fan was louder and not RX one :-/ . So i alt tabbed, launched two instances of gpuz, one for rx 480 one for Rx vega, and well, rx was doing nothing, and vega was pushing clocks!.
    Screens:

https://ibb.co/jywpYG
    https://ibb.co/fW9ttG

So, i know that something like this is possible, LONG LONG time ago, i had 3dfx and s3virge, there was a hack that allowed to play windowed using 3dfx as a rendering card, there was a perf hit, but still a LOT faster than virge.
    But , it needed special software to do it.
    So, whats happening ?
    How to render my wolf on my damn rx 480 ?
    How to do this with other games ? as it would be mighty useful for me

Windows 7 x64 if anyones asking, newest drivers.No idea why wolf doesnt show version, i had to use special switch to be able to go ingame, because it has a driver version check.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Uninstall the Vega and re-run the game to see if you take a big fps hit.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I did something simpler just to make sure, i booted windows 8.1 where i have pre vega drivers installed. And the game was using Rx 480, gpuz confirmed it was using rx 480, the rx 480 was getting hot, and i had a big performance difference.I mean really there is no doubt that the game is rendered using vega however weird it sounds.
    GPUZ reports vega being used
    Vega gets hot and spins fan much faster
    GPUTach (the leds on vega) are all lit
    Wolfenstein reports vega being used
    There is a big performance delta between windows 10/7.1 where i have vega aware drivers installed and windows 8.1 with old drivers.
    I want to check other vulkan based tests to see what will happen. 3dmark is paid only tho.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Interesting. Under Win10 with the Vega drivers, did you get any GPU usage on the 480 as well? Or just the Vega?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post
    Interesting. Under Win10 with the Vega drivers, did you get any GPU usage on the 480 as well? Or just the Vega?
    Only vega, i mean there is SOME usage, but the same like just displaying desktop.And of course again, this is ONLY with wolfenstein TNC under vulkan, anything else works normal .
    I got doom from a friend so im gonna check it tomorrow.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, that didnt tell me much. Doom using opengl works using rx480, and under vulkan it crashes before it really starts .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    Well, that didnt tell me much. Doom using opengl works using rx480, and under vulkan it crashes before it really starts .
    UPDATE.
    Well, after installing newest drivers and updating doom itself it works in vulkan now, even windowed mode.And this is the result:

At first you may think 480 does the job, but look closely, barely pulls any watts, it does more because of the windowed mode.Vega renders the game.While in fs it gets confirmed

While in FS, 480 drops clocks to lowest ones while vega pushes max, ofcourse testing physically gets the same result as in wolf, GPU tach on vega leds are all ON , card gets hot etc etc.
    Doom is almost the same engine, so im not that surprised tho.

Whats even more WEIRD, is when game starts and shows few videos logos etc, the 480 is being used, like it does the decoding part XD .
    Would be neat to show this to someone from amd driver team or wolf/doom developers.Anybody knows somebody, link them this.

Oh, and yea, i also did this.
    Last edited by vario; 12-01-2017 at 08:20 AM. Reason: adding stuff