Thread: [News] ASUS reveals dual Xeon motherboard, supports 768GB RAM

[News] ASUS reveals dual Xeon motherboard, supports 768GB RAM

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59629...ram/index.html

The new ASUS WC 621E SAGE motherboard rocks two LGA 3647 sockets, which will work with Intel's new Scalable family of Xeon CPUs. The board can support 205W TDP processors, which let it drive 2 x Intel Xeon Platinum 8180 processors with 28C/56T for a total of 56C/112T. There's also 4-way GPU support for both NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFire. We have 12 x DDR4 DIMMs that support up to 768GB of DDR4 RAM, 7 x PCIe 3.0 x16 ports, with the full x16 PCIe 3.0 bandwidth required. There are 10 x SATA III ports, 4 x U.2 connectors (32GB/sec) and a single M.2 Socket 3 connector, all backed up with out-of-the-box support for NVMe PCIe SSD RAID 0. ASUS also includes 2 x GbE ports, Realtek 7.1-channel audio, and a bunch of USB 3.1 Gen 2/Gen 1, and USB 2.0 ports.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    4-way Crossfire is mostly dead. Pretty sure 4-way SLI is also dead?

You'd have to be crazy using this as a gamer rig when an i7-8700k would be faster for most games anyway.

So what's the use case for a system like this? 2x Xeon Platinum 8180s will have their uses so I don't dispute that. But who is going to use that many GPUs on what is basically a mega workstation? AI developer?

Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post
    So what's the use case for a system like this? 2x Xeon Platinum 8180s will have their uses so I don't dispute that. But who is going to use that many GPUs on what is basically a mega workstation? AI developer?
    you need the 2p system for the extra slots to run high end storage and some gpgpu at the same time, then the extra stuff lets it work when server stuff is missing USB, audio, and storage with that kind of board.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Administrator
    I currently run a Z10PE-D16 WS, 2x E5-2699v3 & 256GB RAM. GPU is a single ASUS Strix 1080 Ti.

It games just fine
    But I also run VM's etc and do other work... all at the same time LOL !

I have one of the SAGE boards coming soon also.
    Zanzabar is correct also.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    you need the 2p system for the extra slots to run high end storage and some gpgpu at the same time, then the extra stuff lets it work when server stuff is missing USB, audio, and storage with that kind of board.
    Makes sense. I was curious as to why the presser was going on about quad SLI and quad xfire though, when those are dead technologies. You could run a lot of NVMe drives in a system like that which would be nice.

Administrator
    It all depends on what setup you want in the end.

Most of these boards say SLI or Crossfire but they really mean compute cards, no video outputs.