Thread: Sandberg USB-C Dock HDMI+LAN+SD+USB,61W

Xtreme Reviewer

Sandberg USB-C Dock HDMI+LAN+SD+USB,61W

Introduction

If you own a MacBook, then chances are you'll need some way to connect traditional USB devices and SD Cards. And what about connecting to external displays via HDMI, or to routers and hubs via Ethernet? The MacBook, with its single USB-C port, is quite limited when it comes to connectivity, but an external adapter can help. Enter Sandberg's NEO C USB-C Multiport Adapter. It features two USB 3 ports, an Ethernet port, HDMI port, SD Card slot, and a microSD slot. It also features a USB-C input for pass-through charging.

Specifications.

Packaging & Contents

The USB-C Dock is packed inside a small clear plastic box that allows you to take a close look at the unit prior to purchasing it.

At the rear of the box we see a description of the product printed in many languages right above the contents and specifications lists.The scope of delivery includes only the USB-C Dock itself.

A Closer Look

The Sandberg USB-C Dock won't take up much room on your desk. It's also small enough to pack in a bag for travel, though I find it best used at home.

It features an all-aluminum design that matches the color of the silver MacBook really well.

The USB-C cable itself features the typical rubber cable shielding, but the end of the connector is wrapped in an aluminum shell that matches the color of the rest of the adapter. The short 6 inch (15 cm) cable eliminates static strain on the MacBook's USB-C port when at rest. It also helps reduce strain when plugging and unplugging the cord. Overall, I'm fairly satisfied with the USB-C's build quality. It's all aluminum on the outside, feels balanced from a weight perspective, and features a cable that looks like it should stand up decently to normal usage.

The dock has four ports in addition to the USB-C pass-through: two USB 3.0 Type-A jacks, one full-sized SD card slot,one power pass-through USB-C port, one Ethernet port and a microSD slot. I was able to mount both card types and copy between them. CF cards insert easily and seat snugly on the pins. The SD card slot is nearly one inch deep to accommodate the additional row of pins used by the UHS-II interface. Compared with most other UHS-II readers, SD cards slide in very easily with almost no resistance. The microSD slot has some resistance, but it is not appreciably different from other microSD readers. Although microSD cards insert far into the reader and only about 2mm remain outside, the design of microSD cards provides just enough lip to aid in removal.

The Sandberg USB-C Dock is listed as USB 3.1 and 3.0, but it is USB 3.1 Gen 1 only. These standards are technically equivalent and use the same cable, connectors and support up to 5Gbps transfer rate. The reader does not support the faster USB 3.1 Gen 2 that would provide up to 10Gbps. This is a moot point because the reader can not exceed USB 3.0 speed.

Performance

So, to give you an idea of how this can work in practice, this is my current setup: I have a monitor plugged into the USB-C Dock along with a USB-A cable that enables the monitor's own USB ports. An external hard drive and Lightning dock are plugged into the monitor, and the MacBook's USB-C charger is plugged into the USB-C Dock. I get power, a second display, a hard drive, an iPhone charger and connection, Ethernet connectivity, SD card slots, and extra USB ports. When I want to use the MacBook on the go, I just turn off the hard drive and unplug the cable. When I return to my desk, I only have to plug in one thing to get an instant workstation. Once you're set up like this, the new MacBook is actually easier to dock than any other laptop.

The Sandberg USB-C's HDMI output allowed me to connect the 4K LG 27UD88-W display at 30Hz via HDMI. Obviously, this display is most known for its USB-C connectivity, but for those without USB-C-enabled displays, HDMI output from the Sandberg adapter works well.One of the most important features of the Sandberg adapter is its USB-C pass-through port, which allows users to charge the MacBook while connecting other devices. Transfer speeds from a spinning hard drive connected via USB 3 while HDMI connectivity engaged. The two USB-A ports operate at 5 Gbps (USB 3.1 Gen 1) which matches the MacBook. However, that's half the speed of the 10 Gbps (USB 3.1 Gen 2) ports on the 2016 MacBook Pro.

During my tests, I decided to connect to all of the available ports on the Sandberg USB-C Dock, and the end result was a spiderweb mess of cables and wires extending from the MacBook's sole USB-C port. Using any adapter like this is going to make the otherwise svelte MacBook look a little uncouth, but that's the price you'll have to pay if you need simultaneous hardwired connections to external devices. Sandberg USB-C Dock also gets warm to the touch during use. Not hot by any means, even when there are several devices using it at once, but still warm. Though it has pass-through charging, it's about 20-30 percent slower than direct charging.

Conclusion

Using an adapter like the Sandberg USB-C Dock is never ideal, but it's a necessary reality when it comes to working with a machine with limited input options like the MacBook. I really like the idea of having the dock sit separately and connect with short cable. That way, when I insert devices and connectors, there's no strain on the MacBook. At $103.99 it's easy to want to fall back to cheaper options, but I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything of the same quality for less.

For many users, this USB-C hub will be just fine. It gives you most of what you may be missing from a MacBook Pro, and is light and durable enough for travel. If you need the SD and Micro SD card slots,HDMI and gigabit Ethernet, this is a winning product in functionality and design. Drop it in your travel bag and be good to go .Dongles for the USB-C port on the MacBook are easy to come by, but there aren't a lot of really good hubs. Sandberg's latest, which cleanly match the style and color of the latest MacBooks, may be the best option.
    Last edited by testman78; 04-23-2018 at 11:41 AM.