Thread: [News] EVGA Caught Sending Golden Samples of the SuperNova B3 to JonnyGuru

[News] EVGA Caught Sending Golden Samples of the SuperNova B3 to JonnyGuru

https://www.techpowerup.com/237767/e...3-to-jonnyguru

An Overclock.net member, "shilka", posted late last month over the failure of power protection in EVGA's SuperNova B3 power supplies, specifically the 450 and 850 W models. This adds to the concerns first raised by Tom's Hardware, one of whose review units created fireworks. Normally, for a product that has been on the market for some time, as the B3 series has, one could chalk up such incidents to a faulty batch. But it appears that might not be the case, considering JonnyGuru also reviewed EVGA's B3 and did not encounter any fire hazards.

It has subsequently emerged that the sample provided by EVGA to JonnyGuru was manufactured by Super Flower, whose Leadex platform is well known for its performance and high quality. Aris of Tom's Hardware (and TechPowerUp), however, bought their review sample from a retail outlet. The manufacturing of the latter had been outsourced to RSY, with (in this case) a resulting decline in build quality. It remains unclear whether Super Flower outsourced its production, or if EVGA is using multiple suppliers or switched manufacturers all together. Regardless, lesser quality PSUs would appear to be in stores in comparison to what was reviewed at JonnyGuru, arguably the most influential review site for PSUs.

Xtreme Monster
    If this happened with the b3, the question pondering is what about the g3 and all the others?

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    If a manufacturer sends out review samples, I am automatically going to assume they're golden samples. Unfortunately, not every reviewer is willing to disclose whether or not they received a review sample form the manufacturer, or bought a random one.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would expect that the outsourcing was done on the cheapest units. So the B3 is probably affected, but maybe not the G3 and probably not the P3.

Xtreme Monster
    I really wish it could have on every unit a way to show you the efficiency, ripple and some other things. As it stands you dont know if the unit you are buying is good or not. hence the price.

have 3xg3's 1xg2 2xp2's so far no issues, been running it for 24/7.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    If a manufacturer sends out review samples, I am automatically going to assume they're golden samples. Unfortunately, not every reviewer is willing to disclose whether or not they received a review sample form the manufacturer, or bought a random one.
    It's not always like that, and certainly not for all media, etc.
    I and other reviewers I knew have had received even DOA samples, and also samples that performed worse than retail kits for example.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Monster
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    I'm with you, reviewers should review only retail products but that only happens around 5% of cases, 95% are golden samples which companies send to reviewers and few of them state that they got directly from the company.