Thread: [News] Toshiba launches trio of new, affordable TR200 SSDs

[News] Toshiba launches trio of new, affordable TR200 SSDs

http://hexus.net/tech/news/storage/1...le-tr200-ssds/

Toshiba is launching a trio of retail SSDs today armed with the company's own 3D flash memory. The TR200, available in 240GB, 480GB and 960GB capacities and presented in a standard 2.5in form factor, uses third-generation 64-layer BiCS flash 3D.

Let's take a peek at the spec first. The TR200's speed is limited by the SATA 6Gbps interface, and Toshiba is not planning to release it in other flavours - notably PCIe - soon. This has more to do with market segmentation than anything else.

The sequential read and write speeds are standard across the three capacities, and we have commonly seen 555MB/s and 540MB/s before. IOPS, a measure of how good the drive is when dealing with random, small files, is, again, where we'd expect an entry-level SSD to be.

Toshiba uses triple-level cell (TLC) memory to achieve the stated capacities with the minimal amount of physical nand. That can sometimes mean that endurance suffers, as you are writing to cells more often than on single- and multi-level-cell drives. However, advancements in wear technology mean that endurance is reasonable across all capacities, rising linearly through the range. Putting this into context, the 240GB is capable of sustaining of 60TBW, or 250 full drive writes. This is why Toshiba feels comfortable in arming it with a three-year warranty.

There's no drive encryption, however given that TR200 doesn't feature specific DRAM for buffering duties, like much of the competition in this space, Toshiba reckons active power is just 1.6W, or up to 60 per cent less than rival solutions. This doesn't matter much in a desktop machine, but slot it into a laptop and every watt counts.

so more sandforce crap that will cost the same as a marvel drive but only last a couple years.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    so more sandforce crap that will cost the same as a marvel drive but only last a couple years.
    Haha, why post nonsense?

Quote Originally Posted by Kain665 View Post
    Haha, why post nonsense?
    i have a hatred of sandforce drives after being forced to exclusively sell them and then have them come back dead a year latter so i would get yelled at by customers.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i have a hatred of sandforce drives after being forced to exclusively sell them and then have them come back dead a year latter so i would get yelled at by customers.
    Sounds traumatic. The SF-2000 series was released in 2011, the next generation Griffin never took off after SF was acquired 10 times over. You don't have to worry about Sandforce any more, you're in a safe place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kain665 View Post
    Sounds traumatic. The SF-2000 series was released in 2011, the next generation Griffin never took off after SF was acquired 10 times over. You don't have to worry about Sandforce any more, you're in a safe place.
    i had problems with both of the toshiba drives from 2 years ago, the kingston v300, and all the ocz drives with sandforce. the performance was also lack luster with drives with no ram once they were more than half full.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't think Toshiba had any SF based drives and the last OCZ drive to use SF was the Vertex/Agility/whateverelse 3 series that were released in 2011-12.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there have been any SF-2000 based products released in at least 4 years