Thread: [News] AMD "Navi" GPU by Q3-2018: Report

[News] AMD "Navi" GPU by Q3-2018: Report

https://www.techpowerup.com/237725/a...q3-2018-report

AMD is reportedly accelerating launch of its first GPU architecture built on the 7 nanometer process, codenamed "Navi." Graphics cards based on the first implementation of "Navi" could launch as early as by Q3-2018 (between July and September). Besides IPC increments with its core number-crunching machinery, "Navi" will introduce a slew of memory and GPU virtualization technologies.

AMD will take its multi-chip module (MCM) approach of building high-performance GPUs a step further, by placing multiple GPU dies with their HBM stacks on a single package. The company could leverage its InfinityFabric as a high-bandwidth interconnect between the GPU dies (dubbed "GPU module"), with an I/O controller die interfacing the MCM with the host machine. With multi-GPU on the decline for games, it remains to be seen how those multiple GPU modules are visible to the operating system. In the run up to "Navi," AMD could give its current "Vega" architecture a refresh on a refined 14 nm+ process, to increase clock speeds.

Xtreme Guru
    It's an interesting concept, but I think they first need to fix their architectural issues. Their current gen cards just consume way too much power, and don't get nearly enough useful production out of the computational power they have.

This type of design makes more sense for scaling smaller, efficient chips imo. Like how Ryzen -> Threadripper made sense because Ryzen already was relatively efficient compared to Intel's 8core chips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans