Thread: [News] Microsoft kills Windows Media Player

[News] Microsoft kills Windows Media Player

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/44680-m...s-media-player

Windows Media Player has been removed from the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

Microsoft has no real need to keep it. Windows Media Player is no longer an essential addition to Windows - there are plenty of quality third-party alternatives, such as VLC and the Films & TV app in Windows 10 itself.

The feature's removal came to light when users installed KB4046355 on devices running Windows 10 version 1709 - the Fall Creators Update.

This update, referred to as FeatureOnDemandMediaPlayer, removed Windows Media Player from the OS.

It can be installed via the Add a Feature setting. Open Settings, go to Apps > Apps & Features, and click on Manage optional features. Select Add a feature and then scroll down to the Windows Media Player entry and click on Install.

Vole has not officially confirmed it's dropping Windows Media Player from the Fall Creators Update, and not everyone running the latest release (on the Fast or Slow rings) has lost access to it. Vole might keep it, but the writing does look like it is on the wall for the program.

Xtreme Member
    i use WMP all the time to play my media!

I've found that Picture and file viewer has disappeared from my work laptop as well and the replacement app just crashes out on me!
    in addition the new default app for pictures doesnt allow you to scroll to zoom or use mouse back/forward buttons to cycle through pics in a folder.... both very extremely useful features!

not impressed!

maybe im just being old though :P
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro
    So why is it customary to post specs in sigs anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by SADS View Post
    maybe im just being old though :P
    no the UWP based stuff is trash with UI made for touch screens only. they also said WMP would get 10 bit support like 4 years ago, but i guess that will never come now.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi