Thread: [News] Intel Will No Longer Disclose Multi-Core Turbo Boost Frequencies

[News] Intel Will No Longer Disclose Multi-Core Turbo Boost Frequencies

https://www.eteknix.com/intel-multi-...ampaign=buffer

One of the great strategies to boost performance is clock boosting. Intel was the first to bring it to the masses with their Turbo Boost. Over time, we?ve seen many other chips adopt similar methods to help boost performance. Generally, Intel reveals the turbo bins for the different core workloads. In a surprise twist, Intel will no longer be making public some crucial Turbo Boost clock speed information.

Starting with the current crop of processors, Intel will only detail the base and single-core Turbo speeds. This means we lose out on the Turbo clock speed information for any other multi-core workload. This changes a long-term practice since Turbo Boost was first debuted by Intel. Due to this change, we are losing a lot of info from Intel useful for overclocking.

?[W]e?re no longer disclosing this level of detail as its proprietary to Intel. Intel only specifies processor frequencies for base and single-core Turbo in our processor marketing and technical collateral, such as ARK, and not the multi-core Turbo frequencies. We?re aligning communications to be consistent. All Turbo frequencies are opportunistic given their dependency on system configuration and workloads.?

There are several reasons that Intel may be making this change. Firstly, it could be due to legal issues. By no longer publicizing Turbo speeds, the user will have no guaranteed Turbo clocks. It also makes it a lot harder to compare CPUs as some chips may have a multi-core Turbo closer to either the stock or boost clock than others. Another could be binning less than perfect chips. By having a shifting multi-core Turbo, Intel just needs to make sure one core hits peak Turbo and the rest the stock clock. Depending on the chip, the multi-core boost could be set at any speed. This brings a whole new dimension to the silicon lottery.

Xtreme Monster
    Intel wants to throw trash to their customer base. At least now they want to actually do and say to your face. Time to jump ship.

Xtreme Member
    The way i view this one is by the last option.

You can then just market to the highest single clock and everything else can just middle above base clock if need be.

It gives them a lot more freedom in advertising by doing this, but it does probably mean that the end user will suffer in performance in my opinion.
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro
    So why is it customary to post specs in sigs anyway?

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
    Intel wants to throw trash to their customer base. At least now they want to actually do and say to your face. Time to jump ship.
    Technically AMD designed 1 chip, and is selling the "trash" as lower end SKUs.

I don't see a problem with that if the price is right. Obviously Intel has a long way to go in that regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Addict
    Meh, its easy enough to figure out, dumb that they won't publish the info to make selecting processors easier in the data-center.

I am Xtreme
    It will probably really help with binning something like an 18 core 7960. just need one core to get to max turbo doesn't matter what the others do.

Speculation, gotta love the optimism.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Monster
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23 View Post
    It will probably really help with binning something like an 18 core 7960. just need one core to get to max turbo doesn't matter what the others do.
    Exactly and i don't think they will care about customers complaining about it. They are making the trash selection much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    Speculation, gotta love the optimism.
    So true.

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    Well, the base clock is kinda meaningless, since (unless you disable Turbo - and who would?) your intel CPU will spend zero time at that frequency. It doesn't matter if they set the base clock to 3.2ghz or 300hz; it won't ever run at that speed. The actual speed it will spend most of its time at is the "all-core turbo". Occasionally, and only in some loads, you do get to the 1-core or 2-core turbo clocks... but all-core turbo is the actual frequency you'll find your CPU at if you throw any kind of serious task at it. So everyone always looks at that. For some reason, intel wants to withhold that information. Can't imagine why, but reviewers will probably be quick to figure out what turbo multipliers they're using, so whatever.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Technically AMD designed 1 chip, and is selling the "trash" as lower end SKUs.

I don't see a problem with that if the price is right. Obviously Intel has a long way to go in that regard.
    intel only has 2 real HEDT/server xeon chips if you want to count it that way. i would assume this is to make it so they can have a high wattage and low wattage sku for each 1p or 2p core count. it also seems odd that they are sticking with the one core thing. if you have 20+ cores maybe max frequency should be at least 4 of them.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi