Thread: [News] Google launches premium Pixelbook

[News] Google launches premium Pixelbook

http://hexus.net/tech/news/laptop/11...ium-pixelbook/

Google has announced what looks to be a direct competitor to the Microsoft Surface family: the Google Pixelbook.

Touted as a high-performance, two-in-one Chromebook, the Pixelbook is Google?s thinnest laptop thus far, measuring just 10.3mm thick, and it weighs in at a mere 1.1kg. Materials are distinctly premium too, as you get an aluminium unibody chassis coupled with Corning Gorilla Glass.

The Pixelbook sports a 12.3in touchscreen display with a 2,400 x 1,600 resolution (3:2 aspect ratio), which equates to 235ppi. The screen isn?t detachable, but a 360-degree hinge allows you to rotate it and use the device in tablet mode.

The new laptop looks like it will pack a fair bunch in terms of hardware, as well. Starting with the entry-level ?999 model, we have an Intel 7th-gen Core i5 Y-Series CPU paired with 8GB of RAM and 128GB of eMMC storage. An extra ?200 nets you the mid-range Pixelbook which upgrade the storage to 256GB, while a whopping ?1,699 is needed for the flagship Pixelbook, where the CPU is switched to an Intel 7th-gen Core i7 Y-Series model, the RAM is bumped to 16GB, and storage becomes a 512GB NVMe SSD. All Pixelbooks also have dedicated security hardware, too.

The expense doesn?t necessarily stop there, as Google has also announced the accompanying Pixelbook Pen, which will be sold separately for ?99. Said to be virtually lag-free (claimed 10ms latency), the stylus is pressure-sensitive through 2,000 levels and supports tilt functions through 60 degrees.

Naturally, the Pixelbook runs Chrome OS, and it includes support for running Android apps installed via the Google Play Store. It also has a built-in Google Assistant, which can be activated by drawing a circle on the screen, hitting a single button on the backlit keyboard, or saying ?OK, Google.?

'The way we use technology has changed so much over the past 10 years. We live online. We use tons of apps every day. We create and collaborate more than ever, and we?re constantly jumping across all our devices to get things done,' said Matt Vokoun, Google?s product manager for hardware. 'But while the way we use technology has changed, our laptops haven't really kept up. They don't run many of the apps we use and love on our phones. They're not as portable as tablets. And they?re not always as versatile and helpful as they should be. With Google Pixelbook, a new high-performance Chromebook, we're hoping to change this. We?ve worked to combine the best parts of a laptop, a tablet, and a smartphone, to fit how we use technology today.'

Xtreme Guru
    Why would anybody in their right mind waste $1000 on an android tablet? You can literally get a Surface Pro 4 with an i5 for that (on amazon). If I'm spending a fortune, I need to be able to run tools like Matlab.

Makes no sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Addict
    Maybe more competition for MS ??, but yes, agreed I'd rather spend the $$ on a proven platform
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

the point is that they need a nice "high end" reference device so companies that adopt them have ether a premium option for every one so their premium workplace stays that way, or so executives and managers can have a nice looking device while every one else gets a cheap $300 unit.

this is also about a grand less than an equivalent pixel C with keyboard (their old version,) and about $600 less than the chrome book pixel (their first premium chromebook) was. i would still love if nexus came back and they made a cheaper plastic or stamped version of this.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    the point is that they need a nice "high end" reference device so companies that adopt them have ether a premium option for every one so their premium workplace stays that way, or so executives and managers can have a nice looking device while every one else gets a cheap $300 unit.

this is also about a grand less than an equivalent pixel C with keyboard (their old version,) and about $600 less than the chrome book pixel (their first premium chromebook) was. i would still love if nexus came back and they made a cheaper plastic or stamped version of this.
    But again, outside of maybe Google executives, no engineering company would waste their time on an Android laptop.

The industry simply is built around several tools that are available on windows/mac OS only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Cruncher
    More and more school systems are going to Chromebooks and giving every student one to use at school and take home to use. I can see some teachers and/or administrators wanting a premium option.
    24/7 Cruncher #1
    Crosshair VII Hero, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO, 4x8GB GSKILL 3600MHz C15, ASUS TUF 3090 OC
    Samsung 980 1TB NVMe, Samsung 870 QVO 1TB, 2x10TB WD Red RAID1, Win 10 Pro, Enthoo Luxe TG, EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2

24/7 Cruncher #2
    ASRock X470 Taichi, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 AIO, 2x16GB GSKILL NEO 3600MHz C16, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
    Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe, Samsung 870 EVO 500GBWin 10 Ent, Enthoo Pro, Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W

24/7 Cruncher #3
    GA-P67A-UD4-B3 BIOS F8 mod, 2600k (L051B138) @ 4.5 GHz, 1.260v full load, Arctic Liquid 120, (Boots Win @ 5.6 GHz per Massman binning)
    Samsung Green 4x4GB @2133 C10, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Hybrid, Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Rosewill Rise, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2

24/7 Cruncher #4 ... Crucial M225 64GB SSD Donated to Endurance Testing (Died at 968 TB of writes...no that is not a typo!)
    GA-EP45T-UD3LR BIOS F10 modded, Q6600 G0 VID 1.212 (L731B536), 3.6 GHz 9x400 @ 1.312v full load, Zerotherm Zen FZ120
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR3-1600MHz C7, Gigabyte 7950 @1200/1250, Crucial MX100 128GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Centurion 590, XFX PRO650W

Music System
    SB Server->SB Touch w/Android Tablet as a remote->Denon AVR-X3300W->JBL Studio Series Floorstanding Speakers, JBL LS Center, 2x SVS SB-2000 Subs

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    But again, outside of maybe Google executives, no engineering company would waste their time on an Android laptop.

The industry simply is built around several tools that are available on windows/mac OS only.
    that is not everyone. most companies run everything on applets and email. you also have better security, and can use them as dumb terminals if you want more out of it.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi