Thread: [News] Paul Otellini, Intel?s former CEO, dies at 66

[News] Paul Otellini, Intel?s former CEO, dies at 66

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/3/1...eath-intel-ceo

Paul Otellini, who served as Intel?s chief executive from 2005 until his mid-2013 retirement, has died at the age of 66. He passed away in his sleep on Monday, the company said today. In all, Otellini spent over 40 years as an Intel employee.

Otellini was Intel?s fifth CEO ? succeeded by current chief Brian Krzanich ? and is credited for ?transforming operations and cost structure for long-term growth; assuming a leadership position in the server market segment; and maintaining profitability during the global recession.? Otellini was a San Francisco native and was Intel?s first CEO that didn?t have formal engineering training on his r?sum?. ?Intel generated more revenue during his eight-year tenure as CEO than it did during the company?s previous 45 years,? Intel said in its press release.

During Otellini?s time atop the company, Intel?s revenues rose to $53 billion at the end of 2011 from the $34 billion in sales recorded before he started. He helped Intel maintain its strong lead as the de facto Windows PC chip maker and delivered steady profits. Apple announced a changeover to Intel processors for the Mac lineup in 2005, and Otellini joined Steve Jobs on stage at WWDC to make the announcement.

But Otellini?s misfires included an early push for underpowered ultrabooks and a failure to extend Intel?s dominance of personal computers and servers to the smartphone industry. Neither the iPhone nor most Android smartphones include Intel processors.

I am Xtreme
    Wow remember tuning into the keynotes in 2006,7,8,9 life goes by too fast.

I shared the stage in 2007 at IDF in Paul's keynote, I was first up and ran the first quad core at 5.56Ghz on the cascade.

One of the two CPU's used for that demo is in the Intel Museum in RNB the other is on my desk in a matching box.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID