Thread: [News] Microsoft announces Office 2019 for Those Not Ready for the Cloud

[News] Microsoft announces Office 2019 for Those Not Ready for the Cloud

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/mic...the-cloud.html

Microsoft has announced its new updated office software suite; Office 2019. The new Office should will be released by next year and is aimed at users and companies not ready for cloud services.

The first preview versions of the new products are expected to become available mid-next year. The basic version will include Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook. Office 2019 is the successor to Office 2016 which was released in the summer of 2015 writes myce:

Office 2019 will include new features for customers who are ?who aren?t yet ready for the cloud?, as Microsoft?s General Manager Jared Spataro writes in a blog on the company?s website.

While the company heavily focuses on the cloud, it recognizes that some companies prefer other ways of accessing their software. Spataro writes about that, ?we recognize that moving to the cloud is a journey with many considerations along the way. Office 2019 will be a valuable upgrade for customers who feel that they need to keep some or all of their apps and servers on-premises, and we look forward to sharing more details about the release in the coming months.?

In its announcement Microsoft also reports that Office 2019 will come with new formulas and charts that will make data analysis for Excel more powerful and Powerpoint will get more visual animation features.

From a home user perspective who still wants Office, I flat-out refuse to buy into the cloud subscription. Utter waste of money. I'll buy a full version every few versions, sure, but no reason to pay $100 a year for something that I use only a couple pieces of. I still would be using Office 2007 if it wasn't for my job providing me with Office 365.

At work, yes, we use Office 365 subscriptions at this point as it is more cost effective at a business level, though we still have our own on-premises Exchange server. It is Exchange 2010 however, 2013 sucked horribly (crashed the server constantly, go figure), and I'm not a fan of being forced into Powershell for even some of the more basic things that only need to do on occasion that worked perfectly fine in the 2010 GUI. I get using Powershell for the more advanced stuff, but stripping even basic things out of the GUI is pretty stupid IMO. Having to use a command line for fairly basic stuff makes me feel like I'm back in the DOS days again.

That all said, I don't know if we'll go to Office 365 for our email at some point later on or not. I kinda feel like MS is pushing the powershell to purposely make it more difficult or annoying for small businesses to manage themselves, to kick more people over to subscriptions.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Administrator
    I thought we could get Office 2016 as a stand alone product now ?
    I use 365 now and your are correct about using all the features at home, I do not. But I do like being able to run it on several machines under the sub model.

But over I am not excited about yet another new Office which will end up being pretty much the same basic Office with a few things moved around.

Xtreme Mentor
    Office 365 makes sense for people who need their data backed up.
    Office 2019 makes sense for those who do not.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xlink View Post
    Office 365 makes sense for people who need their data to be leaked when the cloud is hacked.
    Fixed that for you

The number of times data/personal details on cloud servers has been breached makes me wonder why ppl still trust them ??
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Only "cloud" I trust is one that I set up and maintain myself.

Which I haven't bothered setting one up.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64