Thread: [News] Senate votes Kaspersky Lab off its networks

[News] Senate votes Kaspersky Lab off its networks

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/44533-s...f-its-networks

The US Senate voted to ban Moscow-based cyber security firm Kaspersky Lab?s products from use by the federal government, claiming that it may be a pawn of the Kremlin and poses a national security risk.

Kaspersky Lab is a 20-year-old anti-virus company that reaches 400 million customers globally and has vigorously denied that it conducts espionage on behalf of the Russian government.

The vote, which was included as an amendment to an annual defence policy spending bill approved by the Senate, seeks to codify and expand a decision by the Trump administration last week to order civilian government agencies to purge from their networks any Kaspersky Lab products.

Trump is rather keen to prove that he is not Putin?s sock puppet after he and most of his advisors are being investigated over deals done with Russia during the elections.

The rest of the Senate is worried about Moscow?s capabilities to conduct cyber espionage following a 2016 presidential contest that was marred Russian interference.

But Eugene Kaspersky has repeatedly denounced the allegations against his company as false and lacking credible or public evidence.

He accepted an invitation to testify to US lawmakers later this month about the security of his products, but said he would need an expedited visa to come across.

Democratic Senator Jeanne Shaheen, who has led efforts in Congress to blacklist Kaspersky Lab, said in a statement that the prohibition ?removes a real vulnerability to our national security?.

Xtreme Addict
    US Senate voted to ban Moscow-based cyber security firm Kaspersky Lab?s products from use by the federal government, claiming that it may be a pawn of the Kremlin and poses a national security risk
    Unlike the U.S. where the gubmint is the pawn of the corporate sector
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    I'd like to know what information they are basing this decision off of.

Is there a legit concern? Or is this just an overreaction of "Oh no, it's Russian developed thus evil and they must be spying on us!".
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by EternityZX9 View Post
    I'd like to know what information they are basing this decision off of.

Is there a legit concern? Or is this just an overreaction of "Oh no, it's Russian developed thus evil and they must be spying on us!".
    This is a whole bunch of rich, crotchety people in Congress saying "LOOK WE'RE DOING THINGS!!!! PLEASE KEEP VOTING FOR US!!!!"

Drives me nuts. For that past decade Congress has been a useless disgrace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Administrator
    Its because... you know... Russians !

I still use it, about the best anti-virus out there atm

Xtreme Addict
    Kaspersky is good stuff... I like ESET as well. They are both very light weight.
    Main Rig: Intel Core i7 7700k @ 4.2GHz, 64GB of memory, 512GB m.2 SSD, nVidia GTX1080Ti
    NAS: QNAP TVS-1282, 8 x 4TB WD Golds(Main Storage Pool), 4 x 960GB M4 Crucial (VM Storage) , 2 x 512GB M.2 Caching
    Private Cloud: 4 Nodes (2 x Xeon 5645, 48GB DDR3 ECC/REG, 1 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 960GB SSD/Each)
    Distributed Encoding Cloud: 4 Nodes (2 x Xeon x5690, 24GB DDR3 ECC/REG, 1 x 128GB SSD/Each)
    Feedback
    EBAY:HEAT

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Its because... you know... Russians !

I still use it, about the best anti-virus out there atm
    I second that. I've been using Kaspersky since 2008 - never had any issues.
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

am using bitdefender...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by EternityZX9 View Post
    I second that. I've been using Kaspersky since 2008 - never had any issues.
    Its not issues per say... The paranoid congress thinks Kaspersky / Russians are using this to spy on us. You know, anything Russian is bad now, some say we are at war with Russia. Its all the latest thing to say now.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Its not issues per say... The paranoid congress thinks Kaspersky / Russians are using this to spy on us. You know, anything Russian is bad now, some say we are at war with Russia. Its all the latest thing to say now.
    Yep, I agree. That was my thought in my first post. Silly politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by StyM View Post
    am using bitdefender...
    Bitdefender and Kaspersky are probably 1a and 1b. Flip a coin.

I personally just have a preference for Kaspersky since I've used it for so long.

Top two Anti-Virus programs out there though.