Thread: Playing with Ryzen 3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Northeast Ohio, Where the weather changes every 30 min...

Playing with Ryzen 3

Long time no see everyone!

So my trusty 1090T based system had a few too many hard drive crashes and other parts go bad from age in the last few months that I decided it was time to get back in the game with Ryzen.

I'm starting out with the 1200 to get a feel for things and so I don't feel as bad if I completely burn the chip and so far I've gotten up to 4.2ghz valid and 4.01 stable with 1.38v.

One of the first things I noticed when I was overclocking the chip was that just using the multiplier wasn't the way to go. It was impossible to get mine to be stable for anything above 3.9 that way and even at that speed it was hit or miss on booting consistently. Maybe that's just my luck with the chip, but all the reviews I saw had issues getting above 3.9-4.0 using just the multiplier and didn't spend a lot of time finding a way around it.

Obviously I was still determined to get over 4ghz with the chip so I dropped the multiplier down to 38 and pumped up the bclock a little. I actually had prime stable with 1.35 for 4ghz this way, but the memory was too slow for my liking at only 2800 or so. This was also when I had to start playing with the PLL chip voltage, at least that's what the Crosshair VI Hero bios says it is. Keeping it at 38x105.4 required the 1.8v stock to go up to 1.85v. I've never had the option to play with that voltage before so it's new territory in what's safe and what's not.

Once I had 4ghz stable I started pushing for 4.1ghz before getting the first set of benchmarks done. I ended up dropping the multi down to 36 and bumping the bclock up to 114. For the first set I also dropped the memory divider down so instead of being up at 3039 it was down at 2736 because I was worried that higher memory speeds were going to require a higher vcore. Here's a few submissions I put on hwbot for my efforts.

wPrime 1024m - 4:06
    x265 - 1080p - 19.77fps
    CB 15 - 620

Right now I'm trying to get bench stable with 4.2ghz. I've gotten both SuperPi's, wPrimes, and CB 11.5. CB 15 is being a bit of a pain, and I don't even try the encoding if CB 15 doesn't run.

So far the only real annoyances I've had are the first bios for the mobo and ryzen master. The starting bios would run the cpu at 1.55ghz if I used any vcore above 1.2v. I spent a few hours trying to figure it out before I upgraded and went DOH! Ryzen master I still haven't figured out. It just doesn't update the multiplier if I set it to something higher than what I booted at which defeats the purpose of me using it completely. Hasn't held me back so oh well.

I'll stop tooting my horn for now . How has everyone else's experience with Ryzen been so far? I've seen a few threads with lots of love for the chips, but I haven't seen a ton of builds like back when Phenom 2's came out.
    Not much to say right now.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Myself, I've been really busy. I do remember the days this forum was buzzing and even when Intel was taking lead. I've gotten two Ryzen builds running and looking to move more of my systems that way soon. 4ghz seems to be my road block with the current run of chips. Hoping this changes in the near future though.
    ~1~
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    GigaByte X570 AORUS LITE
    Trident-Z 3200 CL14 16GB
    AMD Radeon VII
    ~2~
    AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 2950x
    Asus Prime X399-A
    GSkill Flare-X 3200mhz, CAS14, 64GB
    AMD RX 5700 XT

Brilliant Idiot
    You should not need pll for bclk. Just set promontory and pci to gen 1. C6h can do like 145 easy. Just avoid using an m2.

14xx bios had a multi bug on c6h...15xx does not. So maybe that was your not reliable boot issue for 4.0
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by charged3800z24 View Post
    Myself, I've been really busy. I do remember the days this forum was buzzing and even when Intel was taking lead. I've gotten two Ryzen builds running and looking to move more of my systems that way soon. 4ghz seems to be my road block with the current run of chips. Hoping this changes in the near future though.
    4ghz just seems to be where the vcore exponential curve starts to get bad on my chip. 1.38 gets me stable there, around 1.43 for benchmarks at 4.1, but it took me 1.6 to get through all the benchmarks at 4.19.

I won't be building more systems, but I'll probably be buying more of the chips as a way to work with this generation like I did with the original Phenoms. I had the 9500, 9600, and two 9850BE's, and sadly none of them exist anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You should not need pll for bclk. Just set promontory and pci to gen 1. C6h can do like 145 easy. Just avoid using an m2.

14xx bios had a multi bug on c6h...15xx does not. So maybe that was your not reliable boot issue for 4.0
    So building the system with an m2 was a bad idea... whoops.

I started with 12xx and upgraded to 15xx. The upgrade got rid of the voltage thing so I could feed it enough power to hit 4.0, but that's when I first noticed the multi issue. I would be willing to bet it's the chip and not the board since I am working with the lowest end ryzen. It wouldn't have been as fun just setting the multi and setting a voltage anyway.

Brilliant Idiot
    I got a couple 1200. I will take a look see.

The bug happened at 3.6-3.8 on alot of boards.

Would force chip into a p2 state.

I verified at least on the higher skus that it is gone now on c6h.

1501 runs vddp a touch high like .98 if having mem issues try .90-.92
    heatware chew*

Brilliant Idiot
    Oh btw i have good news and bad news...

The bad news is for like 90% of the benches you ran you will need to rerun them in windows 7.

Win 10 has a RTC bug with ryzen so go check which benches are disallowed for w10...mostly 2d afaik..

The good news is unlike the other guy...you do not have to rebench on ln2....and can flag all his scores for using win 10.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Glad I saved the bios settings for that last set of benches at 4.2.

I wasn't sure about it because of all the install issues for win 7. Spent 3 hours trying to get it installed before I bought a copy of win 10 because it wouldn't recognize the mouse or keyboard and didn't have another system to install it on first because I only had the m2 clean.

Just found the thread on hwbot that explains how to slipstream the drivers. Guess I have another project

Edit: Got Win 7 up and running. It's running WAY faster than Win 10 at the same speeds. Pi 1M went from 10.291 to sub 10 and I didn't even bother going through the steps to turn off everything in services.
    Last edited by Oldguy932; 09-08-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well I think I ended up frying the board. I got the dreaded 0D Qcode after restarting the system because it froze while priming overnight. Tried new memory, different graphics card, removing all the hard drives, and even the R5 1600 I picked got in today. Sent a message to Asus Suport to see if they have any ideas for me before replacing the board.