Thread: [News] Intel Skylake-X HCC CPU Delidded by Der8auer, also not Soldered

[News] Intel Skylake-X HCC CPU Delidded by Der8auer, also not Soldered

https://www.techpowerup.com/236781/i...o-not-soldered

Overclocking poster-boy Der8auer has seemingly gotten his hands on some early samples of Intel's Skylake-X high core count (HCC)HEDT CPUs. The upcoming 12 to 18-core enthusiast-class CPUs are being launched on the same X299 platform on socket LGA 2066 that Intel has already launched 4 (Kaby Lake-X), 6, 8 and 10-core parts already, and are supposed to bring Intel towards a level playing field - and then some - with competitor AMD's Threadripper CPUs, which boast of up to 16 cores.

From this delidding process with Der8auer's own delidding tool, Delid-Die-Mate-X, seems to result a die that is much larger - as expected - than Intel's 10-core i9-7900X. At the same time, it seems that Intel is still opting, again, for not soldering its enthusiast-targeted CPUs, which would result in better temperatures and, potentially, overclocking potential. The fact that Der8auer managed to delid the i9-7920X and didn't recommend against doing it likely means that there is minimal risk of damaging your CPU while subjecting it to this process. This is something the renowned overclocker did do when he recommended that users shouldn't delid their Ryzen or Threadripper CPUs looking for better temperatures, since the fact that these were soldered would likely result in both catastrophic damage and a much diminished chance of operating temperatures improvement through the application of special purpose thermal compounds. The Facebook post from Der8auer with the delidded 7920X likely serves as an appetizer for an upcoming delid video on YouTube, as has been the overclocker's MO.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Meh, stupid Intel and their TIM under the lid. Somehow AMD keeps using solder without difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post
    Meh, stupid Intel and their TIM under the lid. Somehow AMD keeps using solder without difficulty.
    how will they make people upgrade from their parts to new ones if they dont die/throttle from bad TIM under the lid. on the bright side good TIM is better than solder, and it is easy to delid something without solder.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    I'm not really convinced heatspreaders are necessary to begin with. They could just design a better shim that sits completely flush with the die instead, effectively preventing idiots from crushing cores.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    how will they make people upgrade from their parts to new ones if they dont die/throttle from bad TIM under the lid. on the bright side good TIM is better than solder, and it is easy to delid something without solder.
    Which TIM is better than solder? The only stuff I've seen come close to indium solder in terms of thermal conductivity is Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut.

Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    I'm not really convinced heatspreaders are necessary to begin with. They could just design a better shim that sits completely flush with the die instead, effectively preventing idiots from crushing cores.
    I've long maintained that Intel should sell any "enthusiast"-class CPU with an IHS separate in the package. Let the end-user use it or not according to their own wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post
    Which TIM is better than solder? The only stuff I've seen come close to indium solder in terms of thermal conductivity is Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut.

back in the 775 days we had gains using MX2 over the stock solder. if i remember right there was the idea that intel had bad solder flow and it would have bubbles or get full coverage or it had too big a gap or something.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Guru
    back in the 775 days we had gains using MX2 over the stock solder. if i remember right there was the idea that intel had bad solder flow and it would have bubbles or get full coverage or it had too big a gap or something.
    Lol I remember those days. You'd get nearly up to 10*c better on load just by switching thermal pastes.

Does that make me old?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Interesting. About what you gain using something like MX4 vs. the paste under a non-soldered IHS.

I am Xtreme
    The solder demand is funny. Im not sure why Intel stopped using g it but we all rejoiced like crazy because we could finally pop the top on them and get better temps. We praised amd then for using paste and complained that Intel was using solder. Now the opposite. I'm not sure why he puts the spreader back on though? When I was popping the tops on all of my stuff it was so I could run the cooler direct to die. Just have to have springs on your mounting device.

I am Xtreme
    I just remembered a fun trick guys used to do, I think PCICE was the guy iirc to do it first, you wedge a a few razor blades under all four sides of the IHS, then pass over the top of it FAST with a blowtorch to melt the solder enough for the blades to act as a spring and the top would pop off. Never had the guts for that one!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23 View Post
    The solder demand is funny. Im not sure why Intel stopped using g it but we all rejoiced like crazy because we could finally pop the top on them and get better temps. We praised amd then for using paste and complained that Intel was using solder. Now the opposite. I'm not sure why he puts the spreader back on though? When I was popping the tops on all of my stuff it was so I could run the cooler direct to die. Just have to have springs on your mounting device.
    Remember that many people actually stick to the IHS and do not delid. Yeah the paste makes it easier if you're going for direct-die cooling. For anyone still using the IHS, solder is quite a bit better. Some of those Skylake temps before delid were hideous.