Thread: [News] AMD Radeon RX Vega 64: NOWHERE near 100MH/s mining power

[News] AMD Radeon RX Vega 64: NOWHERE near 100MH/s mining power

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/58742/...wer/index.html

Now that we have the gaming stuff out of the way, I wanted to do some testing with Ethereum mining. As much as we get flak for doing mining on graphics cards, there were an overwhelming amount of readers and FB fans asking us for Ethereum performance... so here you go. There were reports a couple of weeks ago that Radeon RX Vega would be pushing 100MH/s mining Ethereum, and I'm here to tell you that is far from the truth. I never reported on the story because I knew it was bogus and technologically impossible to have Vega pushing 300% above Radeon RX 580 or GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, and now I have Vega in my hands I've done my own testing. I've only tested Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid Cooled Edition so far, using the new Claymore v9.8 miner (which is compatible with Vega) and I'm getting 32.5MH/s of ETH mining. Compare this to the 36MH/s or so that I can extract from a custom GTX 1080 Ti, and it's not that good. Right now my 7700K test bed + Vega 64 is using 420W of power, which is quite insane compared to the 500W or so that my 6 x GTX 1060 system is using to mine Ethereum right now.

Xtreme Guru
    Wait.

If I read that correctly, the GTX 1080 Ti is better for mining. 36 MH/s vs 32.5 MH/s. Why are people buying these cards in droves for mining then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Wait.

If I read that correctly, the GTX 1080 Ti is better for mining. 36 MH/s vs 32.5 MH/s. Why are people buying these cards in droves for mining then?
    Just to some perspective to this.My 290X with a very modest OC does 30.5MH/s, ~33 is doable on hawaii.
    Now compare 290x gaming performance with 1080Ti which at stock does 32,2MH/s.
    So, gaming performance doesnt really have THAT much in common with hashing speed.I have a feeling theres gonna be some new coin that will be best suited for vegas architecture, or a new vega optimized miner for ethereum.
    Anyhow, im happy for now because maybe i will buy vega 56 at a reasonable price.
    However with RX 64, what i find discouraging is that pretty much every RX Vega 64 limited OR NOT was sold at 599$.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Guru
    Still seems a bit weird though, Vega simply has more shaders and higher clocks than the 290X.

You'd think the raw compute performance would scale for this type of application (more so than games).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Those algorithms are heavily VRAM performance dependent, more than GPU dependent, that's why there's not much between for example a tuned 1070 and a tuned 1080 Ti ( 32MH/s vs 35.6MH/s )

I can't help but wonder where Gibbo saw 100MH/s on the Vega.
    Perhaps he was testing something else and not Ethash or... he baited pre-orders.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Monster
    I guess the ebay mafia scam profited a lot from mindless people. Who started this def is part of the ebay mafia scam. I hope those dumb people learnt their lesson.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My guess is that existing binaries are not coded properly to take advantage of Vega when mining. Fury is faster than that. There are probably paying for custom mining software for Vega getting better performance than what is displayed above. It's been strongly suggested that Vega FE was a beast for XMR mining, and that it wasn't all that difficult to redo the XMR mining code in OpenCL to achieve the effect.

Ethereum mining may or may not ever be a thing on Vega, but that isn't the only coin out there . . .

Anyway if you see any significant changes in total hashrate on any of the major pools sometime in the next month or two, you'll know what's going on with some reasonable certainty.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    It ain't happening buddy.

And the most mined coins right now are Eth & Zcash.
    Those two have the most active and big miners.
    Monero is fairly limited and the profits it offers are 4 levels below what Etherium & Zcash have to offer.
    There's no motive to have your GPUs doing XMR instead of Eth/ZEC.

For the time being it's nearly on par with the 1080 Ti.
    Even if with some optimization it goes up to 40MH/s, it'll still not be worth it overall due to price & power consumption & temperatures.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

I think mining is stupid anyway.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ive looked around a bit, mythical 499$ price for standard rx vega 64 was nowhere to be found.Anybody seen them at that price ?
    Who the heck buys them at these prices ? Slower than 1080 a bit, almost 2x more power consumption, loud ref cooler, weak hashing speed.I dont get it.
    Last edited by vario; 08-16-2017 at 05:56 AM.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    The 1080 Ti does 36.2MH/s at 280W...
    The Vega 64 does the same at 360W...

The Vega 64 is only "good" in mining, while the 1080 Ti is also a very capable 4k graphics card that wipes the floor in gaming with the Vega 64, and they are at very close prices ( nowadays there's only $50-60 difference between the Vega 64 & 1080 Ti )

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    The 1080 Ti does 36.2MH/s at 280W...
    The Vega 64 does the same at 360W...

The Vega 64 is only "good" in mining, while the 1080 Ti is also a very capable 4k graphics card that wipes the floor in gaming with the Vega 64, and they are at very close prices ( nowadays there's only $50-60 difference between the Vega 64 & 1080 Ti )
    I think Vega has more potential. Vega 56 showed a huge jump in performance with a memory overclock, surpassing Vega 64 with a memory overclock, showing untapped potential and unpolished drivers. Also, as GamerNexus shows, Vega undervolted actually performs better and draws less power. I think an undervolted Vega, with further tweaking, can be a very potent mining card...
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    For sure... it will hit 60MH/s so it might make itself worth buying... NOT!

Even if it hits 70MH/s ( never ), it'll still not be worth it because of slow RoI and the increasing difficulty and token issuance decrease incoming.