Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [News/Various] AMD Radeon VEGA Reviews

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I agree with the statement that there are no bad products, only bad prices.
    This launch is a worse clusterFck than the 290x, but that one was also pretty bad, inflated prices, bad cooling, hot cards etc.
    But, three months or so went by, retail nonref versions were pretty available at decent prices and i snatched one, and i am happy with it today.
    Ive looked at few previews of asus rog V64, cooling is very good, card is pretty quiet , better thermals, better clocks.Slap this kinda cooler on a v56 and its gonna be a good card.
    Why not 1070 ?
    1070 has very inflated prices, is weaker, no freesync (and i intend to buy new display) and pascal is on its way out so future driver optimizations for it will suffer, vega may be somewhat crappy, but its all amd has for some time so they will do everything they can for it .
    Of course, prices will matter, but i have a feeling it isnt best card for mining. I mean i can push 33Mh/s at 300W on a 290X.
    And availability, i know its seems bad in the states, but you can actually order them for around 599$+Vat in some european stores and they have them in stock, so it seems people arent biting as hard as it seems.
    Last edited by vario; 08-21-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Brilliant Idiot
    I decided i will just buy classic nes and snes to keep me from being bored for now.

Vga can wait till prices hit reality.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    I decided i will just buy classic nes and snes to keep me from being bored for now.

Vga can wait till prices hit reality.
    I picked up a new bike and have been hitting some trails, if the trend keeps up I'll start mucking about with my RCs again. If it keeps up through the cold months I'll buy some more vinyl lol

The more the PC industry jacks prices, the more I turn to my other hobbies. I've got a 3570k + 7950 machine so I can still game, albeit not max settings and/or high resolution but that is not important to me
    q9550 @ 444 x 8.5 1.3v - Venomous X
    p5q DLX
    Ocz RPR 1066 4 x 2g @ 1066
    eah5870 V2 @ 920/1250 - HR-03gt
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

Hah, you think computers are expensive though, try a hobby with cars
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Cars don't have to be too bad. A lot of people in my area are buying used Miatas on the cheap and modifying them. The cars are indestructible and really don't need that much more power to up the smiles per gallon.

But yeah - I also know of the guys who buy a brand new v8 Mustang just tear it apart and throw in a high end turbo system .
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Brilliant Idiot
    Yah but the turbo system costs $3000 yesterday, today and tomorrow
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Don't get me started with cars You really should try nitro/brushless RCs, or audio

@chew* Knows the deal, the costs (autos) are the same/similar today as they were many moons ago...
    p5q DLX
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Cars don't have to be too bad. A lot of people in my area are buying used Miatas on the cheap and modifying them. The cars are indestructible and really don't need that much more power to up the smiles per gallon.

But yeah - I also know of the guys who buy a brand new v8 Mustang just tear it apart and throw in a high end turbo system .
    Well, it isn't that hard to fit a 5.0l v8 into a miata and you can get them, and every performance part, for cheap if you know where to look
    p5q DLX
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

They don't have to be bad, but, if you go for top end stuff to compare a little closer cars vs computers, well, the car is gonna cost more every dang time. Even mid range takes good sized bites. Been there, done that, still doing it, still have lots left to spend and my wallet still gives me dirty looks
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Brilliant Idiot
    I build 12 sec street cars on a monthly basis for under $4k.

Different builds different cars but they can be done on the cheap.

10 secs and lower gets a bit pricey.

Most of the v8 builds i do are 5.7. Chevy is easy to make power cheap. 350 block with vortech heads then its up to wallet size from there to determine how the fuel is delivered. Carb tbi or fi. The smart mustang guys rip that crap 5.0 out and shove the 5.7 in the 87/88 body.

I do alot of neon builds to...really simple. Rust free shell and a turbo swap.
    Rotted out PTGT donor cars sell for $600 on cl...out of the box already 240whp then i add a little of my magic.

My go to is megasquirt for all builds.
    Last edited by chew*; 08-23-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
    Well, it isn't that hard to fit a 5.0l v8 into a miata and you can get them, and every performance part, for cheap if you know where to look
    Nah you wouldn't want to do that. Everyone knows if you're going v8, small block is the way to go (packaging is way better).

Though I've actually heard the Acura v6s are getting more and more popular these days. Lighter than the LS1, and has more than enough power.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Nah you wouldn't want to do that. Everyone knows if you're going v8, small block is the way to go (packaging is way better).

Though I've actually heard the Acura v6s are getting more and more popular these days. Lighter than the LS1, and has more than enough power.
    small blocks chevy are lame though and have janky accessory drives if you are going for a salvaged one. you can always tell if a hotrod has a small block since they wont show anything under the hood.

what is this about acura v6? i cannot think of one that mounted the right way or one that can take boost/mods off hand.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Brilliant Idiot
    Problem with the honda v6 is not power. Its getting the power to the ground and doing it reliably.

The atx is super crap. The k trannies are crap without money shoved at them.

There are v6 swap kits easy to get now.
    Few guys near me have them in hatches on the bottle. Early swaps required hood notching. Now they can even do it with no motor exposed through hood.

My buddies are in the honda game so i am familiar with the weaknesses.

The acura TL. V6 is dirt cheap...most hit the boneyard due to bad trans...for reference a good acura tl atx sells for 2500 used....thats how hard it is to find a trans...

Iirc the tuner not the owner lol ( driver mod is the best mod ) got one of them into the 11s
    Last edited by chew*; 08-23-2017 at 11:12 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Addict
    You know a card is crap when people just start talking about something completely different.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    You know a card is crap when people just start talking about something completely different.
    Well, the ones that are here are overpriced (the LC version) ,have bad cooling and are overpiced (the 599$ versions), are not available (the 499$ version) or are not even launched yet (Vega 56). So yea.
    Its nice to read about some other things tho im too poor to be car nut but its nice to read about it .
    I wonder if vega 56`s are gonna be unlockable :P .
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    small blocks chevy are lame though and have janky accessory drives if you are going for a salvaged one. you can always tell if a hotrod has a small block since they wont show anything under the hood.

what is this about acura v6? i cannot think of one that mounted the right way or one that can take boost/mods off hand.

Some guy led the charge a few years ago (did everything himself, including making custom parts), now the supply base is coming up with parts for the masses. Just google "miata acura tl v6 build log" and you'll find plenty of forums that show how to do it.

.....}

Regards, Hans

I'd take a real man's engine any day

JK, but there's just something about the V8 rumble. V6 just severely lacks there.

My 99 Camaro still has the 3800 V6 (cammed too so it growls OK), but eventually I want to drop a 6.2L LS3 in it. A 5.7L LS1 is more likely as I could get a complete donor car easier and cheaper, but, bigger would be better
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If and when I see Vega 56 at a good price, I'll probably pick 1 up to replace the 7950. As it stands right now, they're nuckin futs and won't be seeing any of my $$$.

A 5.0l v8 is a small block lol

For Honda A,B,C & H swaps are ok, F,J & K are for people with too much $$$ lol

I could professionaly rebuild the H22 in my SH and add carbon hood/trunk for the cost of a J/K swap
    p5q DLX
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Never got into "race cars"

Building a 2001 Tacoma. Have about $3k in suspension and about $4k in the turbo, fueling, and exhaust.

Was considering a S/Cer but found a turbo kit and decided to give it a go. The turbo needs to be downsized a bit for better response.

Still need to connect a controller for the 6 aux injectors and I can turn up the boost to ~12 psi (currently at 6).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0623161211_zpspqyjebfe.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	132418   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040324_zpsca292ce2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	132419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture0311151626_1_zpsofonu9wn.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	132420  
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    Never got into "race cars"

Building a 2001 Tacoma. Have about $3k in suspension and about $4k in the turbo, fueling, and exhaust.

Was considering a S/Cer but found a turbo kit and decided to give it a go. The turbo needs to be downsized a bit for better response.

Still need to connect a controller for the 6 aux injectors and I can turn up the boost to ~12 psi (currently at 6).
    Depending on the turbo model you have you can hybrid them.

A smaller housing may do the trick.

Mine is a hybrid 16g/20g gives you best of both worlds.

Mine is not technically a "racecar"...its 100% street legal...but it should not be driven on the street.
    Last edited by chew*; 08-24-2017 at 09:47 AM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
    A 5.0l v8 is a small block lol
    ?

Chevy hasn't made a 5.0 in decades and I don't know anyone that uses that engine. When people mention 5.0, it's almost always in reference to Ford's coyote engine - which is DOHC.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Depending on the turbo model you have you can hybrid them.

A smaller housing may do the trick.

Mine is a hybrid 16g/20g gives you best of both worlds.

Mine is not technically a "racecar"...its 100% street legal...but it should not be driven on the street.
    TBH, I have thought about twin charging. I saw a build where the guy rigged the S/C bypass to open when the turbo reached a certain boost but that'll be very $$$. A smaller turbo will be a ton easier.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

I'd take a real man's engine any day

JK, but there's just something about the V8 rumble. V6 just severely lacks there.

My 99 Camaro still has the 3800 V6 (cammed too so it growls OK), but eventually I want to drop a 6.2L LS3 in it. A 5.7L LS1 is more likely as I could get a complete donor car easier and cheaper, but, bigger would be better
    my subi with a stock headered 257 rumbles more than any modern v8

Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    TBH, I have thought about twin charging. I saw a build where the guy rigged the S/C bypass to open when the turbo reached a certain boost but that'll be very $$$. A smaller turbo will be a ton easier.
    any reasonable sized turbo with an electronic boost controller will have low spool and no lagg. if you are talking about a 305 you would not want too much power on that anyways so like an fp green or something would be more than enough and spool at like 2500 if not lower.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 08-24-2017 at 09:10 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    any reasonable sized turbo with an electronic boost controller will have low spool and no lagg. if you are talking about a 305 you would not want too much power on that anyways so like an fp green or something would be more than enough and spool at like 2500 if not lower.
    Just a manual boost controller. Turbo spools ok but the engine is limited to 5400rpms so not much of a power band to work with. Something a bit smaller should hit the sweet spot. 4.88 gears are the next big buy; I can live with the slight lag for now.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Guru
    I'm a big low end torque guy. My Focus ST dies off around 5500 rpm, but honestly by that point you're going way above the speed limit anyways.

Small turbos - use 2 if you have to - are the way to go imo. If you really want a race car, just get something tiny and drop a v8 in it LOL.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast